5.0 out of 5 stars Black is Back!, April 2, 2013
This review is from: BlackBerry Z10 16Gb Black WiFi Touchscreen Unlocked GSM QuadBand Cell Phone (Electronics)
First of all, I got mine from TMO under a business account. Though I think that my first hand experience with the phone should be helpful for those of you buying this phone from Amazon.

After weeks of use, here is what I gather for both major Pros and Cons.

Pros:
1. OS - The new Hub, Peek and Flow are superbly implemented. It may feel weird at first, but it takes no time for me to master my phone. The phone runs fast and doesn't get hot under heavy uses. It gets slightly warm though on the back.

2. Browser - This is the fastest I have seen till date. It has flash player which you can enable or disable. With my unlimited 4G data, I have been able to watch series or movies from HBO GO in HD quality! It is a little bit difficult to move through the web, but doable.

3. Look and Feel - This can be subjective. I personally feel that it looks modern, light and has very sleek slim profile.

4. Quality - It is made of mostly plastic, which doesn't bother me. Though the plastic material doesn't feel cheap when hold in my hands. The screen resolution is the best in the market right now. However, the color saturation, contrast, etc may not be the best. Though I don't think human eyes can perceive any significant difference.

5. Virtual Keyboard - I can't believe that I could end up liking the phone as I tried iPhone since those old days. I couldn't get myself to use it even when I tried the newer one like 4S or 5. Even on the new Android, I got frustrated all the time using its virtual keyboard.

Z10 keyboard software is the best right now in the market largely due to its words auto correction ability. I just couldn't believe that I can type almost as fast with hardly any mistakes with Z10 virtual keyboard. The word flicking feature is such an icing on the cake!

6. Removable back cover - Well, most of these days modern touch screen smart phone doesn't have this. With Z10, you have option to use a back up battery when you need it. In addition, you could use up to 64GB sd memory card though you will need to set up the card in a correct way before Z10 will accept the card. Otherwise, by default Z10 will take up to 32GB sd memory card.

7. Call quality and Reception - Well, the most important feature about the phone is to make and receive calls! So far the calls have been very loud and clear. It is easy to use. A few things I don't like is that I can't seem to be able to copy number from the web and paste it onto call window to make a call! Also, I do hope that TMO bring OS update to add WiFi calling features soon.....

There are more, but I should move on...

Cons:
1. Apps - Not much there. But I only a short list, which is Skype, Instagram, Watch ESPN and HBO GO. Yes, on EPSN and HBO GO, I can use desktop web browser and make it work. However, having these apps would make my life a lot easier. Then I can stop borrowing my wife iPhone from time to time to watch sport games :-)

2. Customization - The notable one is notifications. With older Blackberry, you could set a profile where your ringtone for phone and/or SMS, BBM, etc will ring at different level. That is gone! Also, there is a slight glitch where when I set my phone to "Phone Call Only" it stops my virtual keyboard sound. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. Well, in short, I can do way more on this notifications customization with my older Blackberry than my new Z10. Perhaps there will be an app for that!!!

3. Email - This supposes to be the strongest feature of any Blackberry devices. However, gone is the ability to store emails on your device more than 30days - what gives!

Yes, you can search the server on certain email protocols, but I know many colleges who won't use Z10 because of this. Well, they love to keep email on their phones 2-3 years way back.

I know that this 30 days email sync is similar to many other phone platforms, but why removing one of its strongest features! I do hope that it will be fixed with OS update to be able to archive email on device of memory cards soon.

In summary, I highly recommend the phone if you aren't rely heavily on apps.

The battery is not the best thing, but is on par with the likes in the market - but with ability to swap out a back up battery.

You should find it very easy to learn and master this phone in less than a week.

I am sure though that given the time, apps can only improve as user base grows. Well, Black is Back!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]