5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Fun, Even For the Rythmically Challenged, November 16, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm a short little white guy with virtually zero dancing ability, and up until now dance games have held no interest for me. I have watched my little nieces and nephews scream and jump about playing Just Dance on Wii, but honestly the less than accurate Wii controls and lack of tracking anything but hand movements made me view the whole thing as a huge gimmick. Last week, however, my wife found out about Kinect, and of course demanded I get her one.

This morning I picked one up along with Dance Central, and for a guy who plays "serious" games, I am truly knocked off my feet by the technology and fun. You can't cheat your way through this game, standing still and waving your arms in just the right motions like my little relatives do with the Wii games.The Kinect sensor actually reads your hands, feet, hips, arms, legs...everything. The Kinect even knew if the back of my palm was facing the camera or I was simply holding it sideways.

The sound is fantastic coming through 5.1 with the subwoofer cranked up, and the track listings should please just about everybody with songs and rountines covering hip hop to disco. Plus, the game has promised downloadable tracks, and seeing as how this was developed by Harmonix (Rockband, which has an astounding download library) I think it's safe to assume plenty of music is coming down the pipeline.

And for all of you other guys out there like me who just stand like trees swaying in the wind when you go with your wives/girlfriends dancing, each song has a fantastic tutorial for every single move. The game will walk you thorough each motion, slowing it way down if need be. After a little practice and several runs through Lada Gaga's Poker Face, I actually felt half way competent and actually scored four stars (out of five) on medium difficulty. For the first time in my life I actually felt like I could dance. Sure, I know I must look insane shaking about my media room, but that's besides the point.

Most of all, though, I had an outrageous amount of fun...this coming from a guy who wouldn't be caught dead dacing around to Lady Gaga. So yes, I did in fact close the blinds as I boogied down for an hour...but dang, what a tremendous amount of fun. I can't imagine a better way to show off the technology of Microsoft's new peripheral, you're guaranteed to work up a sweat, and what better way to get a solid workout than by having some honest to goodness fun? Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2011 7:44:30 PM PST
LilyCat says:
Not only was your review helpful, you made me laugh so much. The honest humor was delightful. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 5:22:27 AM PST
Sarahk0789 says:
I'm a tree-swayer too!

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 11:59:56 PM PST
LMAO- YOU are the reason I will be buying this game. Thanks for the input and the laugh!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2011 11:42:38 AM PST
Eric Kernal says:
I concur. I've spent way too long deciding what should be my first game besides Adventures. It always seems to me that if I choose a bad first game for any system or accessory, it kind of impacts my willingness to go get another- no matter how great it's supposed to be. So from a fellow rhythmically-challenged white guy, thanks for the laugh and help with the decision!

Posted on May 26, 2011 12:37:53 PM PDT
Great review Robert. I think I'll try picking this one up!

Cheers!

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 8:43:47 PM PDT
Helpful, concise review. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›