5.0 out of 5 stars An author who should be much more widely read - Excellent Book!, December 2, 2009
This review is from: Fell Purpose (A Bill Slider Mystery) (Hardcover)
First Sentence: Atherton was singing as he drove.

Zellah Wilding is smart, attends a very good school and has a strict father who tries to keep her on the right path and out of trouble. She is also pregnant and dead. Inspector Bill Slider and his team are out to find her killer.

With each new Bill Slider book, my love this series and CHE's writing is renewed. There is a great opening sentence and hook which immediately introduces some of the main characters and gives the reader a bit of their background and relationships.

With the book's opening sentence, I realized how much I had missed reading about these characters. The characters are all well-drawn and fully developed. But more than that, I appreciate that the Slider team like and respect each other. There are no anti-social, angst-driven acrimonious characters here. Lest you think this might make the characters boring, they are anything but.

One of my favorites is Porson, Sliders superior, who supports and respects his men, but can mangle phrases such as "It's the early day that catches the worm." And "There's more than one way to butter a parsnip." I think CHE must have enormous fun writing Porson's dialogue, but he is not a foolish character, and that takes particular skill. The dialogue is very well done. I occasionally am caught by a Britishism but can always figure them out. She does write in the dialect of the characters, which add realism and personality, but didn't slow down my reading.

The story provides the reader a strong sense of place. One thing I love about English mysteries is the history of England itself. In this case, the crime takes place at Wormwood Scrubs, a name I know from reading historical mysteries. Bits of area's histories are seamlessly intertwined into the story. London is not a city I know well, having been there only once for a short time, yet I always had a sense of where the characters were.

The story's plot was so well done. This is not another serial killer book, but a classic murder investigation. There is one murder of a young woman followed by focused police procedure to find the killer. What a nice change.

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles is one of those writers I feel should be much better know and more widely read. The book jacket compares Slider to John Harvey's Charlie Resnick. I don't know that I completely agree with the character comparison, but I would compare the quality of both author's writing. My only hope is that there will continue to be new Bill Slider books for many years to come.

FELL PURPOSE (Pol. Prod-Bill Slider-England-Cont) - Ex
Harrod-Eagles, Cynthia - 12th in series
Severn House, 2009, UK Hardcover - ISBN: 9780727868428

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2009 5:55:54 PM PST
Tempeh Maker says:
One of the best! I was so happy when I found this title especially since I have been a fan of the Bill Slider series since it began many years ago. Slider reminds me very much of the series by Canadian author L.R.Wright. I would also like to mention another excellent British author Susan Hill whose Simon Serrailler series takes place in a small village with great descriptions of the village life and the characters that inhabit it. I look forward to many more titles in the Slider series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2009 11:03:54 PM PST
Beauzeaux says:
I love the comparison to LR Wright. I read all her books because I live in the area where the mysteries take place. And they are excellent books. Every time I drive by the Sechelt library I wonder if Cassandra still works there. (joke)
Thanks for the tip on Susan Hill. Have you read Eric Wright? (No relation) His Charlie Salter books are great. All of his books are really a pleasure to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 7:40:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2010 7:41:10 AM PST
Thanks to Tempeh Maker and to Beauzeaux for additional author recommendations. I personally love John Harvey's Charlie Resnick also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 7:54:50 AM PST
You are very welcome. I, too, am a John Harvey fan. Have you read Rennie Airth, Peter Lovesey's Peter Diamond series, or Jim Kelly? Those are some other authors, among many, I really enjoy.

Happy reading,