Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome case, but does add considerable bulk..., July 25, 2010
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 4 (Black, Retail Packaging, Fits AT&T iPhone) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I waited anxiously for Otterbox to release this case and ordered mine within minutes of receiving the "Defender Released" e-mail. I received the case on Friday and I must admit, it did not disappoint.

First impressions: The case is of great quality and a lot of detail went into making it compatible with all the OEM "accessories". The holster is among the best I've seen for a phone of this size and works perfectly with the case.

After carrying it for two days (and this is already my 3rd iPhone 4 case - I am rough on my phones): The case is without a doubt the most durable I've seen for the iPhone 4 and lives up to the reputation that Otterbox has built over the years.

Cons: The case does add considerable bulk to the phone and may not be perfect for pocket carriers. It does include a holster which works great and can rotate for vertical or parallel carrying of the phone.

Miscellaneous: I have no complaints really, but I am left to wonder if the silicone "flaps" that cover the earphone and USB plug-ins could have been a little more user-friendly. Sometimes they are frustrating to get back into their proper "closed" position.

Edited one month after using: I am still extremely happy with the case. I have dropped my phones a few times already and though the case is starting to show signs the abuse I have provided it the phone still looks pristine! I opened up the case this morning to clean the phone etc and to my surprise there wasn't much to clean. With cases I've owned in the past I would have a forest of lint, dust etc. that would trap itself between the case and the phone. The Otterbox has minimized that debris!

I am uploading several photos showing the difference between a "bare" iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4 in the Defender case so everyone can get an idea of how much "protection" and in turn "bulk" this case adds to the phone.

Edited to add: Amazon removed my pictures when the placed the phone back in a "pre-order" status, I will re-upload them again once they allow. I'm not sure why they state "pre-order" when it should state "Back-ordered, will deliver in xx to xx weeks", but I digress.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2010 7:35:43 PM PDT
P. Miller says:
Thanks for uploading the pics. That case just about doubles the thickness of the phone. I like to carry mine in my pocket so I don't know if it will work for me and I'm afraid to carry it in the holster b/c of my line of work (construction).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 2:33:39 PM PDT
I have the Otterbox Defender for the iphone 3G & I carry it in my pocket all of the time. Doesn't bother me a bit. I know that everyone's preferences are different. Just my 2 cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 5:19:01 PM PDT
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't possible to carry the Defender series in your pocket, but it is an adjustment especially for those that already consider the iPhone bulky etc... I just wanted to point out the added depth/bulk.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 6:57:05 AM PDT
P. Carboni says:
Does the case affect the LED flash any when taking pictures or videos? I've read that other cases will reflect the light back into the lens causing major lens flare when the light is in use.

As for the other comment regarding pocketability, I'm waiting on the Commuter case for that exact reason. I've had a smaller silicon case before and while my iPhone fit in my pocket it was very tough to pull out. The commuter case is suppose to slide in and out of your pocket more easily....but it doesn't offer quite as much protection against drops.

Posted on Jul 28, 2010 4:48:08 PM PDT
Star Gazers says:
How do you see the photos that were uploaded, showing the comparison of size of bare phone and phone in case?? I can't find them? Thank you for such a good review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2010 4:53:19 PM PDT
For some reason it appears amazon removed them. I will try to re-upload them tonight. If it doesn't work I'll try to somehow link to them. And thank you for the helpful vote.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 12:00:27 PM PDT
Justin Case says:
Looking at the case from the top, it looks like there isn't a hole for the
noise canceling mic. Can you confirm that there is one? Thanks!

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 6:17:17 PM PDT
OK, sorry about the wait guys. Amazon removed my images and won't allow me to upload them again at this time. I think it is due to the fact that the item now shows as "pre-order" and doesn't show as being released.

I do assure you that I have the case and have pictures that I will post (again) as soon as possible.

BrokeNotPoor: The top of the case has a small circle cut out that allows for the noise cancelling mic to work. The circle isn't perfectly centered over the mic (it puts the mic near the edge) but this may actually help keep debris out of it?

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 11:50:32 AM PDT
Have you had any issues with dropped calls?

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 5:40:18 PM PDT
Kiki says:
Thanks for your review. Is the clip removable?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›