5.0 out of 5 stars You'll love it, you know you will!, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey, Season 3 (DVD)
I apologise that I am not reviewing the DVD itself; its quality, extras and price etc., but the content of the show. I am sure that the quality of production for the series 3 DVD will be just as good as the previous ones, just make sure you purchase the unedited version.
Downton series 3 kicks off in splendid style, though I am a bit confused about the time line. Sybil is expecting and barely "showing" and we are told this is almost 6 months on from the Christmas special, in which we were told she was expecting. The early storyline with Edith is also a major inconsistency for me, but I cannot say why without giving things away. Apart from these niggles, this series is going to be about change. The world from top to bottom changed after WW1 and this series is dealing with those issues. I will not tell what's going on, but there are many changes coming for both upstairs and downstairs at Downton. Shirley Maclaine is terrific with the whole cast, but provides a perfect foil for Maggie Smith and the whole show is worth watching just for those two, well they have the best lines anyway. I only wish she was in it for more than the first 2 episodes. The sets, the costumes, the cars, the house are all wonderful and show such attention to detail. If you're a fan of Downton you will love series 3. (and it has been announced there will be a series 4!)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012 3:39:44 AM PDT
maxowl says:
I bought the first season just because it was the first season. I have enjoyed all of the season looking forward to season 3.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 10:53:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 10:53:14 AM PDT
David Cady says:
But $50. seems awfully high, given that the last series was only $20 and the first $15. It will most likely come down closer to the release date, but still...

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 9:27:02 PM PDT
I agree that season three is terrific so far (I also wondered about Sybil not showing much), but where did you see it was renewed for a fourth season? I just looked and couldn't find anything about it. I hope it's true! I'm sure it will be renewed, it's so popular that I can't see it going anywhere for a long while yet, but it'd be nice to have that official confirmation!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 8:33:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 8:37:55 AM PDT
lizzie says:
A cast member said on a talk show that there would be a season 4 and another elsewhere said there were 2 more series in the pipeline.
No spoilers, but episode 5 is gut-wrenching, some absolutely fantastic acting from all of the cast.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:03:41 AM PDT
purchasing the UK version shouldn't be hard since that is all PBS has released (see DVD keepcase). It is also the only version you can get if you get it from a reputable source in the UK. By the way, PBS ran the UK versions for the second series.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 12:24:57 PM PST
Lee Hines says:
I purchased Season 1 and repurchased Season 1/ 2 (needed American version). I could not wait for Season 2 to come out. Now Season 3 is out in the U.K. version only. When will the US version be out? I truly enjoy Downton Abbey. Actually I have 6 boxes of DVD English mysteries. I am going to look for a DVD that plays UK version if Season 3 is not out soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:43:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 3:44:23 AM PST
lizzie says:
Season 3 is released on 29 January 2013 in the USA. Looking for the unedited UK version is not about region and will it play on your machine, but that some US versions have been edited to fit their TV schedules, so some bits have been cut.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:39:36 AM PST
This might seem kind of dumb, but what is the differnce between the UK version & the US version I have both season 1 & 2 UK version, for 2 reasons 1) It takes place in the UK & 2) I quit watching american TV years ago & only watch europen television & movies. Hope someone can anwser my question thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:53:30 AM PST
Tombo says:
We are referring to the format of the dvd/bluray. US players will not adjust to the different compression/format found on the UK version of the DVD. Also, there are significant edits in the US dvd, losing some context, let alone length.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:37:24 AM PST
You wrote this Sept 19, so actually you're not reviewing the season either, since the season either barely began at that point, or hadn't started yet. All these reviews giving it 5 stars purely because they loved the last 2 seasons isn't really helpful, and is rather premature.

Since I have now watched the whole season in its entirety (including the special), I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that you and possibly many of the other 5 star reviewers might not be singing so high of a praise by its end. You may even want to take back your title: "you'll love it, you know you will!".

I won't give any information out to spoil it for you (even though many in the US know the major spoilers already).

But I will say this... While I'm a fan of the first 2 seasons of the show, and while there were some things I liked about this season; I for one am unsure if I want to continue watching.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (21,890 customer reviews)
 (19,803)