5.0 out of 5 stars Major knife in a slim package, February 28, 2009
This review is from: Kershaw Skyline Knife with Textured Black G-10 Handle (Sports)
I'm a multitool person and generally consider a folding knife as a waste of space, until I see this one.

The good:
1) Very light. At 2.3 Oz this is probably the lightest folder with 3 1/8" blade. It's the single most important feature for me who wear slacks instead of jeans at work.
2) Slim profile. Without the clip it's only 3/8", and with clip it's a little over 1/2". It doesn't create a visible bulge.
3) G10 scales. G10 is a modern fiberglass that's both very light and tough it's practically indestructible. The particular scales here have non-slip surface that feels like coarse fabric, good to keep the knife in your hand when wet.
4) Flipper. With little practice you can very quickly deploy the blade with just your index finger. The flipper also serves as finger guard preventing the blade from accidentally closing on you.
5) Liner lock. It obviously keeps the blade in open position (very solid), but a bump on the lock also mates with a hole on the blade to keep it closed. You have to apply a little extra pressure to open the blade, but it's good because it prevents accidental opening.
6) Finger groove. Deep index finger groove gives positive grip that prevents slippage. It makes the knife safer to handle.
7) Reversible & removable pocket clip. You can position the clip so the tip points up or down in your pocket, although it's on the right-hand side only. I removed mine because I don't need it.
8) Conventional drop-point blade. This is a versatile design that gives a good balance for many purposes. It's good for cutting and slicing without having too weak of a tip.
9) Decent steel. In the past Kershaw used 13C26 stainless steel by Sandvik (sweden), which has a reputation to rust but otherwise has good edge retention properties. The newest editions use 14C28N Sandvik steel that's supposed to be more resistant to rust.
10) Very reasonable price. With all its design features and modern materials, the knife is a steal at under $40.

The bad:
1) The pocket clip is not ambidextrous, so it will be less convenient for left handed people.
2) Thumbstuds are useless.

All in all, it's a great EDC (every day carry) knife.

Edit: After a year of ownership, I still EDC this knife the most despite owning other fine products from Spyderco and Benchmade.
Additional thoughts:
- The pocket clip is really tight, but it's not a problem for me because I don't use it.
- The blade is hollow ground, which means the surface between the cutting edge and the spine is slightly concave. It makes the knife a good slicer.
- The metal liner that locks the blade open is only on one side. This feature saves weight without sacrificing too much rigidity.
- The blade thickness is about 2mm or slightly over 1/16". It's not the beefiest blade, but combined with the single liner construction this knife is designed as a slicer rather than a chopper or mini pry bar.
- It comes sharp out of the box, definitely good enough for its intended use. This detail escaped me because I always sharpen my knives to my own standard.
- The blade is nicely centered between the scales when closed.
- I can use the thumb studs, but with difficulty.
- Torx screw construction. If you have the appropriate screwdriver bits, you can adjust the pivot tension and disassemble the knife for cleaning & lubrication. Can't take this for granted because there are many knives out there put together with rivets, making adjustment impossible and cleaning a chore.
- Bronze washers between the blade and the liner/scale makes it smooth to open.

Second edit after second year of ownership:
- I disassembled the knife completely, polished the phosphorus bronze washers with Flitz, then lubricated all the moving parts with mineral oil. Now it flies open every time I pull the flipper.
- The steel is reputed to be fine grained and capable of high degree of sharpness. I sharpened it on extra fine diamond stones and stropped it on leather, and now it's sharp enough to literally split hair. Fine grained indeed.
- Despite all the scratches from use, I don't see any sign of rust.
- It's not pleasant nor politically correct, but the knife would make a good slasher (thin profile) and stabber (pointy spear point). The index finger groove and flipper positively prevents your hand from moving forward in a thrust. In an emergency it can safely be used as a weapon.
- It has quite a long cutting edge in proportion to the blade. The cutting edge is as long as the blade, so it rivals the cutting efficiency of many other knives 1/2" longer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2009 8:22:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2009 4:13:41 PM PDT
"2) Thumbstuds are useless."

Thanks for pointing this out in your review. I've seen in a YouTube review that the thumb studs are only used as blade stops and are useless for deploying the blade. The blade must be opened by the flipper on top of the knife. If that's correct then that's too bad (for me anyway). I think thumb studs make for a more natural, flowing movement. But, then again, to each his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2010 5:51:21 AM PDT
Rincewind says:
I tend to agree, but after owning this knife for a month, I don't even notice I'm not using thumb studs. The finger flipper is great to have, especially when I'm wearing work gloves. My leather gloves have been a big handicap for a lot of knifes, but not his one.

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 7:40:49 PM PST
TheNilvarg says:
Dagg, I love you! I really wish more people would update their reviews after owning products for a while.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 8:44:08 PM PST
smarmer says:
One of the most thorough reviews I have read. And bravo for the updates after first and second years of use.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 9:19:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 9, 2011 9:19:59 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 8:50:01 PM PST
Jake McCoy says:
Thank you for the review. Kershaw owes you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:30:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 7:32:38 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:12:59 AM PDT
Rincewind says:
Maybe people know about it, but they also know that it is an incredibly unsafe way to open a knife.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 9:24:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 9:37:58 AM PDT
Jake McCoy says:
SLove, I have some folders that cannot be opened with a flick of the wrist. It's narrow-minded to think your folders represent accurately the millions of folders available for purchase. You probably know this if you think a little. However, I will say this particular Kershaw is easy to open with one hand. I can open it slowly or flick it open, whichever I prefer. The easiest way for me (and probably for most people) to open this Kershaw is to push the flipper and then flick the knife open the rest of the way. It's a relatively easy knife to open. It's almost too easy because I sometimes find this knife has opened a little in my pocket on it's own. I personally don't carry this knife everyday anymore, and I probably will not come back around to doing so, personal preference. Many others love this knife.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 2:26:26 PM PST
Thumbstuds. I use the thumbstud all the time to deploy the knife. It's position does make it a little more difficult than other knives, but with a little practice, you will consistently deploy the knife with a solid "thwack", much more forcefully than can be done with the flipper.

I have also come to like unassisted opening knives because when I work I often am using it one-handed. You have to also be able to close the knife easily. With an assisted opening knife, closing it one handed can be a chore. With a non-assist knife closing the knife is very easy one handed.

Had this knife for 3 years. I don't baby it and use it for everything from prying, to scraping, to cutting. Can easily sharpen this back very sharp. The knife shape makes for easy sharpening.

The torx screw needs to be adjusted to your liking when you first buy it. Once it's set to your liking it flips open easily, yet the blade is still firmly held between the G10 liners.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (521 customer reviews)

$74.95 $40.72