5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for carry on!, July 20, 2013
This review is from: American Tourister Luggage Splash 21" Upright Suitcase (Apparel)
I needed a new carry on bag and did a lot of research before purchasing this AT Splash 21. My #1 priority was a bag that would be accepted by airlines as a carry on and would truly fit in the overhead compartment. I usually fly USAir or United and their accepted carry on size (14" wide) is smaller than some airlines. My #2 priority was it had to hold a lot of stuff. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Pros:
- Holds a lot of stuff for a carry on bag. More packable space than my last carry on.
- Fits well in overhead compartments and is only 14" wide (unlike some other 21" carry ons).
- Well balanced - does not tip over, even when fully packed
- Expands (although, will probably not fit in overhead when this zipper option is used)
- The price - under $50 - was great.
- The turquoise color is easy to spot
- The cover cleaned up well after my flights. After 4 flights and a spot cleaning, it still looks new.

The most important thing I learned researching carry ons is: all 21" bags are not the same size and not all airlines have the same requirements! I recently bought a Samsonite HiLite 21"carry on for my guy because he wanted a spinner (4 wheels) bag. It's nice and moves well but is too big for some overhead compartments and, technically, doesn't meet USAir & United carry on requirements because of the 15" width and the overall measurements. The height of the Samsonite HiLite 21" (as well as many other 21" bags) is really 23" - 23 1/2". The advertised measurements of most luggage are of the bag itself, not considering the handle and wheels. When you take into account spinner wheels, it often adds 2"+ to a piece of luggage. Although spinner wheels are great for larger bags, I found that I have no problem managing a small carry on with just two wheels. I'd rather have that extra space in my bag, not my wheels.

On our recent USAir/United flights, I was able to store my AT 21" in the overhead of all flights except on one small commuter plane where I valet checked it (no charge). My guy had to valet check his on all flights. The good news is (even though it technically was slightly larger than the USAir/United carry on limits) he was never required to check it and, therefore, didn't pay baggage fees.

Color of carry ons: My guy's gray Samsonite bag still looked great even after 4 valet checked flights. After one valet checked flight (and 3 overhead stowed flights), my AT turquoise bag had several black marks on the front cover and the bottom. However, a spray of an oxygen cleaner (from DollarTree) and a wipe with a cloth on each spot, cleaned the bagged perfectly. It looks new again. Neither bag shows any sign of wear.

How I would improve it, if I could:
- I would add compression straps like the Mother Lode TLS Mini Duffle to compress the whole bag, especially because of the several outside pockets. Since this didn't have those straps, I bought a good luggage belt and strapped it on tight. It held the pockets close to the bag and also helped in identification.
- I would have a smaller outer pocket to hold small things. The pockets on this are fine but I like having a short pocket so that I don't have to reach deep and hunt around for small things.

The other bag I strongly considered buying was ebags Mother Lode TLA Mini 21" wheeled duffle (~$170). It appears to be a great bag. Because I'm generally not a frequent traveler, I choose the AT 21 (~$49) bag based on price.

[Add comment]