272 of 277 people found the following review helpful
Great fit for carry on!,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: American Tourister Luggage Splash 21" Upright Suitcase (Apparel)
I needed a new carry on bag and did a lot of research before purchasing this AT Splash 21. My #1 priority was a bag that would be accepted by airlines as a carry on and would truly fit in the overhead compartment. I usually fly USAir or United and their accepted carry on size (14" wide) is smaller than some airlines. My #2 priority was it had to hold a lot of stuff. I'm very happy with my purchase.
- Holds a lot of stuff for a carry on bag. More packable space than my last carry on.
- Fits well in overhead compartments and is only 14" wide (unlike some other 21" carry ons).
- Well balanced - does not tip over, even when fully packed
- Expands (although, will probably not fit in overhead when this zipper option is used)
- The price - under $50 - was great.
- The turquoise color is easy to spot
- The cover cleaned up well after my flights. After 4 flights and a spot cleaning, it still looks new.
The most important thing I learned researching carry ons is: all 21" bags are not the same size and not all airlines have the same requirements! I recently bought a Samsonite HiLite 21"carry on for my guy because he wanted a spinner (4 wheels) bag. It's nice and moves well but is too big for some overhead compartments and, technically, doesn't meet USAir & United carry on requirements because of the 15" width and the overall measurements. The height of the Samsonite HiLite 21" (as well as many other 21" bags) is really 23" - 23 1/2". The advertised measurements of most luggage are of the bag itself, not considering the handle and wheels. When you take into account spinner wheels, it often adds 2"+ to a piece of luggage. Although spinner wheels are great for larger bags, I found that I have no problem managing a small carry on with just two wheels. I'd rather have that extra space in my bag, not my wheels.
On our recent USAir/United flights, I was able to store my AT 21" in the overhead of all flights except on one small commuter plane where I valet checked it (no charge). My guy had to valet check his on all flights. The good news is (even though it technically was slightly larger than the USAir/United carry on limits) he was never required to check it and, therefore, didn't pay baggage fees.
Color of carry ons: My guy's gray Samsonite bag still looked great even after 4 valet checked flights. After one valet checked flight (and 3 overhead stowed flights), my AT turquoise bag had several black marks on the front cover and the bottom. However, a spray of an oxygen cleaner (from DollarTree) and a wipe with a cloth on each spot, cleaned the bagged perfectly. It looks new again. Neither bag shows any sign of wear.
How I would improve it, if I could:
- I would add compression straps like the Mother Lode TLS Mini Duffle to compress the whole bag, especially because of the several outside pockets. Since this didn't have those straps, I bought a good luggage belt and strapped it on tight. It held the pockets close to the bag and also helped in identification.
- I would have a smaller outer pocket to hold small things. The pockets on this are fine but I like having a short pocket so that I don't have to reach deep and hunt around for small things.
The other bag I strongly considered buying was ebags Mother Lode TLA Mini 21" wheeled duffle (~$170). It appears to be a great bag. Because I'm generally not a frequent traveler, I choose the AT 21 (~$49) bag based on price.
Tracked by 2 customers
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2013 7:57:25 PM PST
Hello Chapel Hill and thanks for the useful review! When you say: "The turquoise color is easy to spot", do you mean easy to spot when it comes back from the flight so you can easily find it? Is this is true, then do you think this carry on can be sent separately? I wonder if it can be done so that I won't have to suffer the hassles of separate luggage... Thanks very much for any opinion! :o)
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2013 8:07:28 PM PST
Chapel Hill says:
Yes, it is easy to find as the bright color stands out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›