23 of 32 people found the following review helpful
This is an exceptionally bad book
, June 30, 2008
This review is from: Geology in the Bible: Earth's Evidence for Intelligent Design (Paperback)
I bought this book without very high expectations, and I was still disappointed. It is more a pamphlet than book, only 103 text pages of very large print. Rather than offering either a scientific discussion of how the science of geology relates to the Bible, or a scholarly study of how geological events are presented in the Bible, Billy Caldwell throws up his arms and proclaims that nobody knows.
Really, that is his only contribution. Page 12, "God's ways are beyond our ways and it is impossible for us to understand His decisions and methods." Billy cites Romans 11:33 here, which is a consideration of why God allowed sin to exist. This is a clear example of the level Billy has studied the Bible.
Consider these verses;
1The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
2 Day to day pours forth speech,
And night to night reveals knowledge. (New American Standard Bible)
Psalm 85:11 reads, "Truth springs from the earth; and righteousness looks down from heaven" (NASB). The Hebrew word for truth, emet, basically means "certainty and dependability."
The Bible demands believers to acknowledge that God is truthful and forthright. The Bible demands that believers acknowledge the physical creation as an honest testament to God's existence and nature.
Instead, Billy offers up the long discredited "appearance of age" argument. This is the notion that God made the Universe old and worn. It isn't really old- it just looks old (pg. 13-14, 17).
Romans 1:18-23 asserted that the physical universe is a true testament to God's nature.
18. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19. because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22. Professing to be wise, they became fools,
23. and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
The "wise" in verse 22 referred to astrologers in particular, and verse 23 is reference to the worship of Roman, and Egyptian gods. Some creationists like to falsely claim these verses refer to "Darwinists," but of course there were no evolutionary scientists 2,000 years ago.
So the "appearance of age" is antiscriptural.
Billy also tells us that "If you took an element and purified it completely, it would probably shine. God is so pure, He shines with atomic love." (pg. 15)
That is the level of Billy's science. Just one counter example will do- carbon. Pure carbon can either be solid black as graphite, or clear as diamond. Neither "shine" at any rate. Billy also claims that there are dinosaurs alive today, citing those two great scientists Kent Hovind (currently in jail for tax evasion) and Carl Baugh (pg. 19). Both Hovind and Baugh claim doctorates from unaccredited mail-order "colleges." By the end of the pamphlet, Billy is frothing that Satan was the inspiration of science, and that demons cause disease. Maybe Billy played too much Dungeons and Dragons and he thinks he needs a 10th level Clerical spell instead of an antibiotic.
I will use this book in the future as an example of how ignorant creationists are and why they will sadly stay that way.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?