Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

1,249 of 1,733 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over previous model for the same price, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router with Internal Antenna - 2.4GHz - 802.11b/g/n - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP / Mac OS X / Linux (300 Mbps) [Discontinued Model] (Personal Computers)
To start i received this router FREE from Mediabridge products and all i was asked was to test it and write a review on Amazon. Jarrod Coburn from the company who i believe is the main tech guy there sent me the following email:

I am sending this email to a select few customers that had purchased our 150N router in the past. We now have a new 300N version of the router with some new features. I would like to have a sample sent to you free of charge. All I ask is that you post a review of your experience on Amazon. The review does not have to be extremely technical but the more information the better.

I had previously purchased the MWN-WAPR150N version and written a detailed review of that product as well. I was overall displeased with the MWN-WAPR150N for various reasons outlined in my review and subsequently purchased another router to replace it. I selected the ASUS RTN66U and have been mostly happy with it, but i am still waiting to review it on here. Given that all of my comparisons in this review will be based on comparisons to the ASUS router which is a very advanced router and 3x the cost so keep that in mind.

All performance testing for speed and throughput was done with a fairly new toshiba laptop with built in N wireless adapter and using and inSSIDer wireless analyzer software. Signal strength was tested with Droid razr maxx and wifi analyzer app.

My property is approximately .7 acres and a brick house. All tests were taken in the exact same spots around my house and property between 11am and noon. The routers are located in master bedroom and measurements of distance from router are approximations. The test at my mailbox are the most interference location having to travel through every wall in my house.

To start with the unboxing, installation, and setup of the medialink router took less than 5 minutes. I was quite pleased with the ease of which it detects and sets up the internet link. It also automatically asks you to change the default ssid name and password if you choose and also defaults with a secure network which is helpful. Again the initial configuration takes mere minutes. I also noticed that the router defaults to channel bonding verified with inSSIDer. It linked channels 6+2 to achieve advertised 300 bandwidth. The ASUS router also channel bonds but it must be user enabled in the firmware settings manually. Now on to the testing results. I will start with my baseline results of the ASUS router first. MY ISP is charter cable at 30mb/s download speed limit.

ASUS results channel bonded 6+2 max rate 450

Hammock 45ft 21mb/s -65dbm
Patio 50ft 24mb/s -75dbm
Swingset 80ft 22mb/s -80dbm
Mailbox 80ft .7mb/s -95dbm

So my take on the results are as follows. The locations that the Medialink performed much worse are the locations with the greatest amount of walls and obstructions for the signal to pass through. All other locations it seems to keep up nicely with the more powerful ASUS Dark Knight. Also I would guess the Medialink uses a much smaller patch style antenna whereas the Asus has 3 external antennas. Overall it seems that Mediabridge has taken some nice steps to improve their product over the previous model. I have no data yet to touch on day to day consistency or dropping connections and subsequent reconnects. That was the main problem I had with the 1st generation Medialink router. My plan is to reconnect my ASUS and attempt to link the medialink router to use it as an access point in my bonus room just to see if it works. I think it has this capability and i will revisit this review with an update once i do so after the holidays.

My final thoughts are if this router can prove sustained connections on a day to day basis and ease of reconnects at times when power outages and such occur or when relocating devices then for the money i would say this router should be considered.
The ease of setup alone is a huge benefit especially for those who aren't tech savvy. Also keep in mind i compared this to one of the top of the line routers you can buy so i feel it does rather well keeping up.

Ease of installation
Great throughput

Signal strength through obstructions....but...its still very good for what it is and the cost

5/6/13 Update:

In December i allowed a neighbor install this router in his house for some long term testing. He has quite a higher usage level there with the amount of devices constantly connected. Himself,wife and 5 kids all utilizing wireless at the same time plus streaming video via Netflix regularly. Six months steady and he tells me he has had no problems to speak of so based on that time period and the load on the router it seems that it is indeed capable of handling most anyone's requirements.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2014 8:23:10 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2014 10:55:12 PM PDT
Henry says:
Hello Mediabridge Customer Support,

Is there a way to make this product not suck? It is constantly dropping the connection and its range is pathetic. Thanks in advance for the help!

Posted on May 8, 2014 6:18:27 AM PDT
Jason says:
I don't believe a single word in this review.

Posted on May 8, 2014 10:01:50 PM PDT
tortugaveloz says:
Medialink decided to sue one amazon user that, like me, decided to voice his opinion of their product on this forum. Medialink instead of working with the customer or simply take it as a small minority of malcontent users that may never be satisfied, decided to do what a bully would do, and threatened to sue this user if he didn't lie to us by removing his review or changing it to 5 stars. How can you trust that the reviews given to this company are real, when they force us to do what they say? I pray they dont sue me for voicing my opinion of this company, but us amazon users won't put up with bullies like MediaLink

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2014 4:22:58 PM PDT
E. Jahnke says:
Dear Mediabridge Customer Support,

I'll handle this one.

Thanks in advance for the question.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›