3.0 out of 5 stars Another one impossible to rate, October 1, 2008
This review is from: There Will Be Blood (DVD)
There Will Be Blood is another one of those movies that you will either love or hate. Daniel Day Lewis is fantastic in this extensive character study; the acting in general was superb. But the pacing was very peculiar--long passages occur when nothing much happens; and the music was overwhelming more than a few times, literally covering the dialogue. I am a composer myself, and I appreciated the composer's skill, but I think the sound engineer should never work in Hollywood again. All in all, the reviewer below who described this as an "Oily Citizen Kane" was pretty close to the mark, although this movie was more violent. All in all, I was left with too much of a sense that the director was trying too hard to create a film that would last for all time. To my mind, a somewhat more direct method would have made a better film. But perhaps it's me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2009 5:15:27 PM PST
Benstarbuck says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2009 2:57:53 AM PDT
Sure, that can work...but one shouldn't have to READ dialogue. This one isn't me, it's them. And BTW, are you sure it isn't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009 10:50:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2009 10:51:08 AM PDT
> it's you . try using the closed captions or subtitles...

If you have to revert to that the film doesn't work.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 11:09:47 AM PDT
Jay Holder says:
Well, I guess I fall under the category of hate the movie. It was so boring I turned it off after 45 minutes. How it won an award for photography is beyond me. It was so dark and drab. I think that this movie may be responsible for all the excessivly dark movies of today, because they think they have to emulate it. I wish it had never been made for that reason alone.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 10:25:21 AM PDT
C. OBrien says:
pacing was peculiar? I think you would agree this is subjective -- someone else may find the pacing perfect -- and they obviously did. People say the same thing about 2001: A Space Odyssey and yet its ranked as one of the greatest films of all time.

music was overwhelming? Again, this score has received enormous praise. What specific scene do you contend that the score covered the dialogue? I've seen the film over 20 times and never had an issue with the dialogue. THere is three scenes where the score is quite loud: (1) the opening sequence when Daniel has to crawl back from the mine - the camera pans up to show how far he has to crawl and we hear the score get loud. No dialogue there. (2) A beating drum score can be heard quite loud when we see them lining up the pipeline to the sea - again, no dialogue, and (3) The burning oil well at night scene -- again, no dialogue (when it gets loud) -- we just see their faces all staring at the glowing well.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 8:31:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2011 8:32:57 PM PDT
B. Allen says:
Remember, the buy goes deaf early on in the movie. There are many sections where the audio is dialed in to play from HW's perspective in where he can't hear anything. This was on purpose and happens many times.

Aside from that, I actually didn't appreciate the score. It was unique in that it spent most of the movie not changing or adapting to what was happening on the screen. You could film yourself taking a dump and play the cheap horror-flick type string drones and get the same contrast. I feel the movie would have been more brilliant with no music at all or only music in sections of happiness and the horror music coming in when the greed takes over.

The music is so overbearing, which I know was on purpose, but it detracted from the film and attempted to be foreshadowing when it was quite obvious from the beginning that Plainview was a selfish and somewhat nutso old man.

This movie was very interesting, it's no masterpiece though. Just because a movie is dark, mulling and ends on a low note doesn't mean it's a marvel. It just means it's trying to be one by playing against the grain.

And remember folks, critical praise doesn't mean anything when Ke$ha tops the charts

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:59:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 5:05:42 PM PDT
I don't care for Citizen Kane myself either. There's a lot of overacting in it. I do see why it was so big for it's time though. I noticed, however, that the complaints on this page didn't say anything about the consistently excellent written dialog that never let up. Pretty much no screenplay has allowed Daniel Day-Lewis or Paul Dano to shine so brightly.

I also noticed that no one made any mention of the many subtle yet outrageously comical moments through out. It's freakin' hilarious!

..It's a fine musical score... No, it's a fantastic one at that. I happen to be a composer myself too (not that anyone here should care). I've talked to quite a few other musicians who were blown away by it. Yes, it was overbearing and so was the mood of the whole film. As far as musical cues and themes triggered by the protagonist's emotional state, do I really need to make mention of how not everything needs to follow the same formula?

To be honest with you, I had to watch this movie twice to realize just how great it is. I felt indifferent about it the first time. The third's an even better watch.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 4:07:45 PM PDT
You're a composer as well? Where I can I hear your work?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 2:06:42 PM PST
I agree with everything you said.

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 12:55:17 PM PDT
THERE WILL BE BLOOD held my attention and was worth viewing for Daniel Day-Lewis. But by time the closing credits rolled, I thought, "What just happened?"

So, I respond to say "impossible to rate" is an apt summary of the film, Dr. Christopher Coleman.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (722 customer reviews)

$14.99 $7.00