Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but..., December 6, 2007
This review is from: The Whole Pet Diet: Eight Weeks to Great Health for Dogs and Cats (Paperback)
This book isn't bad, it has a lot of useful information in it about home-cooking for your pet. However, at times it does seem like vehicle for this woman to sell her company's products. Sure, she tells you how to make most things for yourself but at the same time for every feeding recommendation she makes, its her company that sells some miracle product that will fit in perfectly.

Other things I didn't like about this book were that there's no nutritional analysis given for the recipes. The book also doesn't advocate feeding variety strongly enough for my liking. She actually states that its better to feed animals your dog could actually hunt. My dog is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel... she can hunt paper towel rolls and that's about it! If you are going to be home-cooking for your animal you should be sure to use a variety of protein sources on a regular basis. Unless your animal is allergic to every other source, you shouldn't just give chicken all the time. That's a diet that's guaranteed to be deficient in some nutrient.

Dr Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health is a better book. Whole Pet Diet is more readable and possibly more accessible but the quality of the information just isn't as good. Pitcairn, unlike Andi Brown, is actually a vet and pesonally that makes a difference to me when evaluating the quality of the information offered. If you are serious about homecooking, get both books. Or if you just want one, get Pitcairn. If you are more interested in finding out about dog food and the pet food industry itself then read Food Pets Die For.

Just for the record, I homecooked for a few months. It is expensive and quite complicated since you must use supplements and feed the correct balance of nutrients. You won't learn about this balance from Whole Pet Diet BTW. I did a lot of research, read several books and various online resources. In the end I switched to raw feeding. Less complicated, cheaper, nutrient quality is guaranteed and much more fun for my dog! Whole Pet Diet doesn't advocate raw feeding (though Pitcairn does) but that's probably because Halo doesn't sell a premade raw product... yet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2010 11:32:10 PM PST
I have to agree that Raw feeding is safer, easier, and more affordable than preparing home-cooked foods. Dr Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health is a more enlightening book.

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 4:43:39 AM PST
I agree 100%. this book is intended to sell more of Anitra Frazer's books and her Halo products which are very expensive. They must be related. Frazier's suggestions are unrealistic when trying to medicate and change a cat's diet. I never found any of her suggestions useful or simple, neither the recipes in this book. .

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 3:22:58 AM PDT
Donna Duck says:
You say "She actually states that its better to feed animals your dog could actually hunt. My dog is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel... she can hunt paper towel rolls..." I think what the author is implying is you should feed your animal what they would normally eat if they lived in the wild not what they would hunt/eat as domesticated animals. Also you say raw is best. Sure if it's venison or a cow or chicken you actually raised and butchered yourself but NOT the animals that live in huge feed lots and are butchered in huge processing plants. Salmenella and E. coli are just as dangerous to our pets as they are to us.

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 3:27:45 AM PDT
Donna Duck says:
I also find it humorous that you like Dr Pitcairn's book better and he is the one who wrote the forward to this book!!!

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 5:06:11 PM PST
poetface says:
Can you tell me what brand of raw food you feed your dog?
Thanks.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 7:15:35 AM PST
I spoke with Andi a few year ago and I bought her book. I didn't follow it closely enough until six months ago. I had adopted a seizure dog who had very bad seizures. We had controlled them with medication to the point where he had a few seizures (at one time) every five weeks and that is the BEST I could do. I decided that my two 18 year old cats as well as Rupert could benefit from the Stew. I had been cooking for my dog but was worried about the diet lacking in something so I added Andi's ingredients. Rupert has not had a seizure now for over three months and I think that most of it has to do with his diet. He is still on medications but when I cook for him the seizures get a lot less. I couldn't get my cats to eat the chicken so they are on a "No Grain" diet that I can buy in cans and dry. I give Andi credit for helping me to alter Rupert's diet in such a way so that he is SO much better! Thanks Andi!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 2:59:57 PM PST
andi says:
Donna, you have well rounded thoughts!

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 9:19:05 AM PST
andi says:
First of all, there is no way in the world that she is selling any products at all. She freely gives you all the recipes and formulas to actually make all the products yourself. that way you can save money and feel like you're really taking your pets' health into your own hands. This book is a gift to help people understand that they can stop unnecesary vet visits and with simple thought... they can feed their pets food and treats and vitamins that are good enough for them to eat. This book's Foreword WAS WRITTEN BY DR. PITCAIRN himself... so he obviously thinks that the recipes and information is great. This is not a self promoting book, but a book to promote your pet's GLORIOUS, GREAT HEALTH!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 9:21:53 AM PST
andi says:
You really didn't understand that the book is designed for you to make your own products based on the knowledge of Anitra Frazier and Andi Brown. This is not a book to sell any products to you but an opportunity for you to follow a format to achieve happy, healthy animals without every buying a commercial pet product ever again. If you did not find the recipes helpful, then you certainly did not even try them because if you did, you would find that thousands of pets have benefitted from this book and the marelous recipes that are GUARANTEED to improve health!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 3:40:49 PM PDT
dailyreader says:
What do you think goes into most dog foods? I have fed a raw diet for years and all my pets are healthy at advanced ages, with perfect blood work and sound organs. I have to cook for one of my dogs and Kirsty is right, the raw diet is much less hassle, my dogs love it, and it works.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›