5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Movie With a Positive Message, October 20, 2010
This review is from: Despicable Me (Limited Time Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)) (Blu-ray)
I went to this movie reluctantly, mostly because my ten year old talked me into it. I had only seen the trailers and I was expecting an extended version of Spy vs Spy, which I have never really loved. This movie suprised and delighted me. Far from being a sad 3D version of silly one-upmanship, this movie had a lot of heart, and a lovely message.

I especially enjoyed how the main character struggled with the growth he experiences throughout the movie. We get to see him struggling with the difficulty of giving up his old behavior patterns and goals, even though he clearly sees that he could be happier if he let them go. And the difficulty that Groo's only friend has with the changes he experiences as he lets three little girls into his life, and how his friend tries to prevent him from changing, are a great reminder that sometimes when we make positive changes in our lives the people around us aren't always as supportive as they should be.

My son loved the movie too, although not for quite the same reasons I did. He wants a glass floor shark tank for our living room now. I said I'd think about it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2010 9:44:44 AM PST
C.T. says:
You're in luck, Amazon will soon start selling glass floor shark tanks!

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 8:10:50 AM PST
Tonks Plum says:
Great review. I'm tired of mindless animation for kids. At the end of the day I want them to take home a good lesson vs just violence for fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 3:01:05 AM PST
Amy Pierce says:
Me too, tired of mindless, and I just loved the message of this movie!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2011 9:22:48 PM PST
Colt Taylor says:
Are there any reviews on how this video is on a 3d tv? This seems like nobody has actually bought this product. Just went and watched the movie at the theaters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 8:59:01 AM PST
Chris says:
Im planning on buying this as a gift for spanish speaking children, can anyone tell me if it comes with spanish audio option??

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 9:49:37 AM PST
A viewer says:
Agreed! I hope we see more intelligent work with a positive message for kids. There is too much darkness in general during prime time and in games, and even kids films. I also recommend a positive-oriented health program like Kung Fu for Kids YMAA age 7-12 exercise workout, which encourages working together as a team and developing respect for self and others. Kudos!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 11:19:08 AM PDT
Liz Lee says:
I didn't expect much out of this movie either.. now it is one of my top fav animated movies! If you love this one, you should see How to Train Your Dragon.. another great message in the form of Fun Films.
AND if you haven't see Wall-E .. "he" was trying, and managed to save the whole planet. : )

Posted on May 4, 2012 6:42:41 PM PDT
Dayed says:
is this movie in full screen? the product description says widescreen for this and just about every blu ray 3d movie its really confusing to me i want full screen but no blu ray 3d has fullscreen in the product description its all widescreen?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:57:47 AM PST
Rahman says:
Chris :

"...gift for spanish..."

Language: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo), English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 5.1), Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Copied & pasted from this same amazon page, took 1.0137 seconds

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:35:56 AM PST
Rahman says:
Dayed :

"...full screen..."

Check your Blu-ray player settings, there might be an option for "Pan And Scan". This will automatically cut off the sides of a widescreen picture, and resize the image so it fits in a (standard) TV screen.

This way, any widescreen movie can be played in fullscreen. There might also be a "Zoom" feature/option, which would have basically the same effect.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (4,232 customer reviews)
 (3,314)