Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Got a PPB Boxy Backpack instead, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Ju-Ju-Be Packabe Diaper Bag, Evening Vines (Baby Product)
Pros:
- The Packabe is a really cute bag style, the Evening Vines print is lovely, and it is well-made. The material and entire bag feels very high-quality.
- The magnets to close the two front flaps are a nice touch, they open and close pretty quietly (there's a small THUNK sound when the magnets connect to one another) in comparison to my Petunia Pickle Bottom bag that uses velcro and goes RRRRIIIIIPPPPPPPP!!! every time I open the bag.
- Memory foam: the changing pad is nice and comfy for baby. The memory foam strap (only for when being worn as a shoulder or cross-body bag, not backpack) is also a nice touch.
- Anti-microbial inside lining. This bag has silver colored lining, which I didn't think of as a very "light color," but whatever (they advertise as having light colors inside the bag to help you find items easier).

Cons:
- I must not be able to travel lighter, but this bag is too small for my diaper bag use. I carry both diaper bag items and my personal items in my diaper bag because I don't want to lug around two bags where ever I go, so I thought this bag would be perfect. I was able to fit everything inside by taking out a couple of non-essentials (sunscreen, my glasses case). But I don't like that stuffed silly look, and it was hard to get things out when I needed them.
- This was my main complaint: The pockets inside the bag were WAY too small for anything I wanted to put in them. There are pockets inside the "mommy pocket" and the pocket below it, but the only thing I was able to put in there was chapstick! Your phone won't fit in the pockets unless it's the size of a beeper. I didn't want to place my phone in the main part of the "mommy pocket" because my keys were there and would have scratched it up. Also, the pockets in the main pocket of the bag which are meant to hold wipes and diapers were also very small! I could not fit my wipes container in any of the pockets (regular Huggies wipes container). I was able to fit only one disposable diaper in the side pockets with it kind of scrunched up, but no more. We also cloth diaper most of the time so those diapers definitely wouldn't fit in any of those side pockets. I was really surprised how small these pockets were for a DIAPER BAG, although they would be small for a regular purse as well. After placing some small items in the teeny side pockets, the main compartment of the bag was small as well. I guess they didn't want to make the bag a HUGE backpack, but you are sacrificing useable space for looks, IMO.
- I read about this before purchasing the bag, so I expected it, but this bag is HEAVY, with a capital HEAVY. It is definitely heavier than my 6-pound Chihuahua, I would venture to guess around 8-10 pounds without anything in it. It wouldn't have been a problem for me, but I did try to figure out why it was so heavy and came to the conclusion that the anti-microbial material is very thick (especially at the sides where the insulated pockets are), and all the metal hardware does add up. Like I said, not a big deal for me but some others might not care for this.
- The accents on the zippers and on the Ju-Ju-Be labels. This was something that really bothered me, but it really is just a personal preference / personal opinion thing. In the two spots that say "Ju-Ju-Be" on the bag, there is a cheap metal star looking accent. On all of the zippers, there is a cheap gemstone looking accent with "Ju-Ju-Be" written around it in a circle. IMO, these accents make the bag look cheap, like something I bought at Wal-Mart for $25 instead of a $120 diaper bag. It really changes the overall appearance of the bag, as it otherwise looks very well-made. I guess they were trying to jazz up the bag a little but I thought it made it look like a young child or teen bag made in China and sold at discount stores...
- The "crumb drains" sounded really awesome because I am forever getting smashed animal cracker or cheerios in my diaper bag and having to empty out the entire thing to clean it out. I thought the crumb drains would save me a lot of trouble! Imagine my surprise when I got the bag and saw that the crumb drains only drain at the very back of the bag, from the seperate changing pad pocket! Huh?! The changing pad goes in its own separate pocket on the back that lays against your body when wearing it... this is where they crumb drains are, not from the actual main pocket of the bag, where you would expect them to be. I usually don't keep any food items I want to give my toddler near the changing pad (eew, germs much??) so the crumb drains on this bag are rendered useless.

To make a long story short, I wanted to get a backpack-style diaper bag. After hours of research online, I initially chose this bag over the Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack, because the Packabe was supposed to be "better organized" and easier to keep clean (the outside of the bag). After seeing how tiny the side pockets are in the Packabe, I'm realizing that it doesn't help with "organization" because I can't put anything in there! Along with my other reasons for being ultimately unhappy with this bag, I decided to return to Amazon (I LOVE AMAZON!!). I went to Nordstrom's to check out the PPB Boxy Backpack and I LOVE IT. Purchased it right away at the store, and on SALE, so it was cheaper than the Packabe! I purchased the "glazed" version of the PPB so the outside will still be easy to keep clean. If you are deciding between the two, I hope my review has helped! They also sell the PPB Boxy backpack here on Amazon. Also wanted to add, if you are not dead-set on getting a diaper bag that is a backpack, Ju-Ju-Be has some other very nice diaper bags that I saw in person while at Nordstrom's. I might have considered one of those if I was open to other bag styles. Ju-Ju-Be's are very nicely made (with the exception of those cheap looking accents).

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]