Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of my regular rotation..., August 27, 2012
This review is from: Timex Men's T2N700 Intelligent Quartz SL Series Fly-Back Chronograph Brown Leather Strap Watch (Watch)
You know, this December I received three watches, a now-unavailable Tag Heuer, a Tsovet (SVT-FW44) and this Timex T Series. Why is that detail important? No, I'm not trying to brag about my stupid watch collection, it's important because this watch took me by the greatest surprise. It's beautiful. It's elegant and mature.

It has a butter-soft leather strap that will, admittedly--yes, to that other guy's review--likely break within a couple years, but that's okay, there are a million replacement straps on amazon for under forty bucks, so that's not a big deal. But then, neither the strap nor buckle are what makes this watch so awesome: it has this incredibly cool looking dial. It's sophisticated and I don't know how to use half the features, seeing as I don't go yachting. True story, I was at a Tag Heuer dealer about a year ago and they had a watch with the same complications, the fly-back chrono feature, the lady showed me how it worked and I was blown away at how the hands uniformly sweep and navigate the dial in unison, it's pretty sweet showing that off. That watch cost over four grand and this watch operates and looks pretty much the same. Plus, I mean, I figure if I ever really need to know how to use the fly-back feature a youtube how-to clip will be sufficient.

This watch absorbs compliments, I'm wearing it today at work in fact. It's masculine and sleek. I love the flat-black dial. Usually, when you buy a black dial watch, it's polished and glossy, like patent leather. The macho'ness of this watch increases with that slick, flat opaque sensibility. I wish the black and tan version were still available, I'd buy several as gifts, for sure. I argue the black on tan version is so much more attractive than the run of the mill black on black.

There's a complaint about the watch being too big. I don't know what that guys issue is, this watch is hardly too big. He clearly has never owned a timepiece beyond a Swatch. Not that I'm into the Nixon stadium watches, but I tend to like a 42mm size as my wrist is probably as small as the complainers; I should say I have a build kind of like Justin Long, so lean and skinny. Small watches always look wimpy on guys, feminine even. I'd say just about every man could wear this watch and not worry about it looking too ostentatious. It's gizmo'd out, but definitely understates the fact. I should say that, in fact, I was thinking it would be even greater if it were a millimeter or two bigger, just because it would be nice to spread out the numerals a bit.

My favorite features:
Sweeping second hand. On most of my luxury watches (God, I hate the word "luxury" - watches that cost over a thousand bucks) the hands do not sweep. So this is a pretty slick detail. Another great feature is the date window (my new Tsovet doesn't have that complication) the luminous hour and minute hands for night reading and that KILLER indiglo back light that I didn't realize the watch had until I accidentally triggered the feature. I was with my girlfriend at the time, driving at night, when she was all, "Holy crap, check out your watch!" I remember when I was a kid and I saw another kid who wore and bragged about his with that had the indiglo feature, I was so envious. That was in the era when indiglo back-lit technology was newly born. This is kind of dumb to admit, but it was great to finally one on such a beautifully designed, yet understated analog timepiece. The way the indiglo is activated is by simply pushing-in the crown toward the dial. The other two pushers activate and operate the fly back feature. Pulling out the crown one click allows one to change the date, two clicks changes the time, couldn't be more intuitive--BUT! and this is so cool, when you pull out the crown the watch beeps audibly to let you know you've activated the date/time change and the second hand automatically zooms back to the zero position, so you can start your watch on a solid zero seconds. So slick. None of my other 16 watches do this.

Again, I think this watch, for such a little dollar value ($165) you get way more than you pay for. If this
watch were, say, sold by Tag, Hammilton or Tissot it would easily, at a minimum, cost over $2,000 (of course you'd also be getting Swiss Movement) and this watch EASILY stands up aesthetically to my higher-end watches. In fact, I've gotten way more comments on this watch than my two other new, more pricier watches, underscoring the noble truth that money doesn't guarantee taste. FIVE SOLID STARS. Go Timex, you just made an advocate for life.

One small improvement: needs screw-down pushers and screw-down crown. I hate hate hate when the buttons don't screw down, I'm fearful of bringing this watch anywhere near water, even though it reads "water resistant 100 meters."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 2:06:17 PM PST
Other than chronograph and second time zone what other features are you referring to. Also, pulling out stem to middle position changes date and time. I got mine on the 30th and had to go through 29 complete revolutions to get to the 30th.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 12:51:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 12:51:38 AM PDT
Thank you for a very sober, intelligent, and well balanced review! While I always knew that one day, affordable NIST atomic clock synched, solar powered watches (Robert Heinlein's fictional "radio-telechronometers") would be a reality, I never dreamed that a classically styled, full featured 'rattrapante' chronograph, whether quartz or balance wheel driven, would ever be within the grasp of anyone who doesn't own their own jet. And having been introduced at a young age to Omegas, IWC's, and Patek's (a consequence of being 'brought up right' by a real man!) I also never imagined that I could be so thoroughly impressed by anything bearing the name Timex, as to actually decide that i simply must acquire one. So thanks, "Christopher P", for bringing this stunning instrument to my covetous attention! Now let's just keep this between us...no reason EVERYBODY has to know about this, right?

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 4:54:50 PM PST
Mike in SLC says:
Your narcissism is most telling. You could have issued an intelligent and precise review in two paragraphs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2016 5:07:04 PM PST
You can see why reviewing thing ceased to interest me. My attitude toward objects has changed a lot since I wrote this. My aim at this time was to write narrative, different from a technical writing, but it comes across pompous and elitist. Traits I regard bitterly today.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2016 1:32:12 PM PST
Mike in SLC says:
Hello Christopher, I'm sorry to have judged you harshly. My own personal growth is a never- ceasing quest. I hope you are well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›