4.0 out of 5 stars Great Acting & Cinematography; Solid Writing, September 3, 2011
This review is from: The Borgias: Season 1 (DVD)
There is a great deal to admire in this series. Visually it is superb. The costuming and sets manage simultaneously to be both beautiful and realistic to the period; or at least, they seem so to my untutored eye. The actors uniformly do an extraordinarily good job. So much so that it is difficult to know whom to focus upon in this review, because whatever choices I make I will be omitting mention of some truly outstanding performances.

However, I am going to begin in the obvious place: with Jeremy Irons' interpretation of Rodrigo Borgia. I do so if only because so much hinges on this pivotal character. The Telegraph critic Rachel Ray criticised this series on the grounds that it "lacks the amoral aura of a psychopathic family", and specifically criticised Irons' own performance as "disappointingly undiabolical". On a strictly literal level Ray's perception of this series is entirely accurate. However, I would argue that it also entirely misses the point.

The Rodrigo Borgia we find in this show was never intended as an inhuman monster who would not have been out of place cackling maniacally atop Snake Mountain. Rather, what we gaze upon here is far closer to the true face of evil as it most often exists in the real world: ordinary, resigned in the face of the dictates of Realpolitik, and when confronted with the moral reality of where such dictates lead, by turns a true believer, actively self deluding, and at times even self doubting. Not unlike a concentration camp guard who can go home at night and be a loving father to his children. I am very much reminded here of political theorist Hannah Arendt's famous phrase "the banality of evil". It would be doing a great disservice both to Irons' individual performance and to the moral complexities of this series more generally to suggest that everything could be summed up entirely in such straightforward terms. Nevertheless, we would at least have the comfort of being considerably closer to the human reality of what "The Borgias" sets out to achieve than whatever it is Ray was expecting - apparently some kind of costumed remake of The Godfather.

Rodrigo Borgia aside, there are many more truly outstanding performances in this series than I can realistically go into here. It is worth saying that François Arnaud, Holliday Grainger, and David Oaks all do outstanding jobs in their respective rolls as Rodrigo Borgia's adult children. Sean Harris, although in a relatively minor role as Cesare Borgia's assasin, is also very much worthy of mention. While his performance is extremely minimalist, he somehow manages to achieve a great deal while apparently doing very little. I find myself genuinely left wondering what goes on behind those eyes. It must take an enormous amount of skill to suggest so much with so little.

Unusually for a "quality drama", if this series has a weakness it is in the writing. Don't get me wrong: the writing is good. It's just that it never manages to be more than "good". It doesn't achieve the same standard as the other aspects of the production. If I could sum up my reservations about the writing in a single sentence it would be simply this: it does not surprise me. I say that from the perspective of someone with a very slight nodding acquaintance with the history of the period, although no more than that. But to be clear, when I talk of not being surprised, I'm not just talking about the specific events that take place. It's more that there is a decided absence of moments where I find myself thinking "Gee they did that well"! In fact, there are no such moments at all until relatively late in the piece when the French King (once again played impeccably, in this case by Michael Muller) arrives on the stage. And even then, the surprises - those "wow" moments - are few and far between, and as a rule are rather mild.

Still... it's not like the writing is bad or anything. It's good. Solid... If perhaps just a tiny bit predictable. Actually, this series is at its most unsettling when it communicates with us on a purely sensual level with sound and vision, cannons blazing. In this case literally so.

And speaking of the French, one curiosity of this series is that despite being an international production with an international cast, all of the Italian characters not only speak English, they are made to do so with very pronounced English accents. Of course, when the French get involved, they too all speak exclusively in English - although in their case they speak English with French accents! It's little touches like this that remind us that despite its superficial mundane realism, television is ultimately about communicating ideas, and finally a story, to an audience. I suppose I just find it interesting how readily, perhaps even unthinkingly, we as an audience accept such methods of communication.

That particular curiosity and my reservations about the writing aside, this is still absolutely something I'd recommend seeing. And I am most definitely waiting with baited breath for season two!

Theo.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2011 4:21:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2011 11:32:57 PM PDT
Theo says:
Oh, and here's a little treat for those of you industrious enough to check the comments!

Not where Rodrigo Borgia truly belongs?

;-)

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 10:36:17 PM PDT
Wandrwoman says:
Good, thoughtful review Theo! Has Boardwalk Empire come to Oz yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 1:10:11 AM PDT
Thank you!

And... um... I think so! But I've not seen it myself.

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 2:21:23 PM PDT
In your last sentence, that word should be spelled "bated" not "baited." It's a form of "abate." Otherwise, excellent review!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 2:29:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2011 2:31:28 PM PDT
Theo says:
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately it seems likely that it's going to continue picking up negative votes. There's one troll in particular who appears to have taken a real disliking to me.

Interestingly enough, while it appears that "bated" is indeed the traditionally correct spelling, "baited" breath may be the wave of the future! See:

I confess I had to look that one up myself, though. My own use of "baited" was not, shall we say, the result of considered reflection on the issue! ;-)

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 12:18:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 12:20:36 PM PDT
PAUL says:
Dear Sir,

I have seen this serie with French audio.

Michel Muller (king Charles VIII) speaks perfectly French obviously. When he speaks English (I have seen it on one or two episodes), we can hear a French accent, which is not the case for the French Canadian actor performing Cesare Borgia.

In the Fontana's Borgias serie we are watching now in France, all actors speak English whithout accent. Bur King Charles VIII has not yet appeared. This serie has 12 episodes against 9 for the Showtime-Neil Jordan version. Only six episodes have been aired today in France (two episodes are aired each week). The whole Fontana serie has already been aired in Germany, but with a limited success. Yesterday evening, President Sarkoszy, speaking on TV about the European economic depression, has quoted several times the Fontana serie, to illustrate the changing of the world between the 15th century and now !

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 6:52:13 PM PDT
Interesting!

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 3:38:42 PM PST
Mary Allen says:
Decent review but then I did skip over the middle three chapters.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 12:43:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2011 3:20:04 AM PST
Theo says:
I think this show is actually worth watching all the way through. It's a serial more than a series - more like a novel than a string of short stories.

Posted on May 7, 2013 8:57:42 PM PDT
I am definitely tempted. Jen
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (385 customer reviews)

$42.99 $17.66