1.0 out of 5 stars Twice malfunctioning, support non-existant., May 10, 2012
This review is from: LG Cinema Screen 55LM8600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz Dual Core LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I ordered this TV (55LM8600) after years of purchasing and trusting the LG brand, as replacement for an older 47-in non-3D LG LCD TV. While the delivery and appearance are top notch, this new TV either freezes or restarts every 10-15 minutes. When I first experienced the issue I contacted LG and they tried to troubleshoot over the phone, verified it was not a network/power/signal issue and a technician was dispatched for confirmation. The technician verified the issue, but noted that he "thought" it might be the main board, and that part was on back-order. The technician then recommended that I contact Amazon to replace. Amazon replaced it without issue. However, the replacement has the exact same fault. Upon contacting LG, I am told to once again contact Amazon as they believe I need another replacement. Upon contacting Amazon, I am told that a replacement would take a month or two as they are out of stock. I then contacted LG a final time and asked for a supervisor. I once again explained my issues and was told that a technician would need to be sent to diagnose the issue and order parts, parts that may be on backorder. LG would not offer a replacement, only a repair, but the repair might not work and it would take a few months to find that out (which would be outside of my Amazon return window). I am not sure what happened to customer service at these electronics manufacturers that after two malfunctioning TVs that it is apparently too much to ask to have them send out a technician with a replacement TV. I cannot be upset at Amazon, they helped where they could, and now unfortunately are out of stock of replacements. It appears that I will not to get to try a third time and will now think twice before buying LG products again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 13, 2012 12:34:54 PM PDT
I am having similar problems with this television. The picture drops out every 20 - 90 minutes (which has made it hard to troubleshoot). Basically, the signal disappears for about 10 seconds. The TV suddenly reports "no signal" and displays the rotating LG logo, then starts working again. It does this with any of my 6 sources. I have this connected to all of my sources through a Pioneer AVR and was thinking that the receiver was the issue. However, I connected the LG directly to a source this morning and experienced the same thing one time in 3 hours. Even though this is less, it is still unacceptable. I love this television but, as with you, I am not willing to await a potential fix later - once the Amazon return window has closed. I wonder if a future firmware update will fix it...? I guess I will not get to find out as I will be returning it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:18:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 14, 2012 9:51:52 PM PDT]

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:10:52 AM PDT
Ben Smith says:
One of the problems with this TV is apparently Amazon does not stock it as they do with most items. For some reason it has to be special ordered which can take 4 to 6 weeks. I waited patiently for my first order that arrived with a broken screen and I am now waiting another month for a replacement. I would say if I had the problems that you have had I would have to return the LG and try another brand.

Posted on May 18, 2012 11:00:05 AM PDT
MF621 says:
I completely agree with you; you deserve a brand new working TV, instead of a new approximately 2000 dollar TV, which already needs to be repaired. I have owned Samsung, Sony, and LG LED-LCD 3D TVs. They all have problems. The Samsung has bad light bleeding from the corners and faint lines when the screen pans, I tried everything, returning it, calibration, still the same problems.The Sony was a joke, horrible picture quality, and it was noticeably not level on the stand. I now have the LG7600, which seems a bit glitchy, we will see how long this one lasts. If it breaks, I am going to get a Panasonic plasma, I do not think LEDs were ready for the market. The problem is no electronics manufacturer is definitely reliable nowadays.

Posted on May 19, 2012 3:34:37 PM PDT
Everything MF621 said is accurate. That's why I will just wait until the Full OLED {Organic TVs} are released. Those should offer genuine perfection.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:15:36 PM PDT
S. Fields says:
I also have the power cycling problem.

Posted on May 21, 2012 11:25:51 PM PDT
dv8ed says:
I also own a 55LM8600 in one hour it restarted / rebooted 3 times showing the LG Life's Good splash logo briefly for like 2-3 seconds. It has happened when I'm watching regular TV input, HDMI 1, Medialink (Plex). Yesterday it restarted at 6pm & 8pm. This set is definitely going back after LG comes out to replace the tuner. It's not picking up channel 5-1, 7-1 & 11-1 in Los Angeles using Charter Digital Cable plugged directly into TV with no cable box. It's not decoding the QAM256 signal properly or not properly locking into the signal or channel. I know those channels work because I have a 55LM7600 and it's able to see those channels.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 6:58:36 PM PDT
LipSmacker says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:18:09 AM PDT
Mike says:
What they might be talking about but didn't go into detail was the fact that depending on the amount in stock and which warehouse it comes from, it could take more than the usual 1-3 business days (or more with super shipping savings). Also, it might of been ordered by a non-amazon vendor because Amazon doesn't have it in stock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 10:38:14 AM PDT
PC Nut says:
"That's why I will just wait until the Full OLED {Organic TVs} are released. Those should offer genuine perfection."

Yep - the price of those will start coming down rapidly over the next two or three years. This fall, a 55" OLED by Sony will cost over $8k when released in Asia. The scuttlebutt from the display research firm NPD DisplaySearch is that by the end of 2014, a 55" OLED will hit the $2k mark. I'll hold out on replacing both my 42" bedroom plasma and 47" LED LCD for that technology. Two and a half years, if true, will be about the time I'll be ready to replace both.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›