4.0 out of 5 stars Second monitor is always nice!, August 12, 2013
This review is from: AOC e1659Fwu 16-Inch USB-Powered Portable LCD Monitor (Latest Version) (Personal Computers)
I just got my monitor today, I was able to plug it in, straight out of the box without issue. As soon as I plugged it in, windows was able to detect the DisplayLink driver to download and install. CD Media is also included with the monitor's manual and DisplayLink driver if you happen to not have access to the internet at the moment.

16" display looks just like my laptop monitor. It is 1366 x 768 as advertised. You can only choose 1024x768 and 800x600 as other options through the Screen Resolution dialog in Windows 7. Does everything a normal monitor can (Extend, Mirror, Main Monitor, Only Monitor).
DisplayLink adds an icon to the system tray. This can give you quick access to change orientation manually and resolution. DisplayLink context also offers 640 x 480. There is also "Settings" you can access from the system tray which will allow you to adjust brightness and contrast on the monitor.

Comes with a Y-USB cable with a 3.0 connector as the main connector and a 2.0 just for power if needed. If your USB port cannot supply enough power, the second USB is for that. My laptop only needs to use one USB port to work. Adding the second one does not seem to affect the display in any way.

As advertised, rotating the display automatically adjusts the orientation of the screen.

I only notice increased CPU usage when the screen has to update, if I am working on my laptop screen while the AOC monitor only shows me static data, I notice no CPU usage at all from the DisplayLink driver. My mouse moves as expected when on the AOC monitor. It starts to jump around and lag behind with sporadic movement, but normal movement looks like a normal monitor.

I was able to load a youtube video and full screen it on the AOC monitor without issue. I was able to watch the video with no tearing or stuttering (albeit, it wasn't a fast paced video or action scene of any kind. Just watched a Jackie Chan fight scene video, it seemed to be just as responsive as my laptop monitor).

I hope to see this become a great asset when traveling to customer sites. I know of countless times a second monitor would have made me more efficient.

[Add comment]