5.0 out of 5 stars New Sony HX30V is improvement on HX9V, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I received the new Sony DSC-HX30V/B yesterday from Amazon. Like the Wifi module built into the camera. Tested sending pictures to my Galaxy Nexus and it worked great! I had the HX9V. The HX30V/B is faster and more responsive. New picture effects are ok, not great. Video looks amazing; better than the HX9V. Very disappointed that it did not include the wireless battery charger. As I write this post, it is still listed in the specs on Amazon's website. Deal breaker? no. But do not like being mislead either. Is it worth the extra $20 (compared to HX20V) for the Wifi? Yes.

Likes:
- Movie button is easier to start (compared to HX9V) and not lag
- When reviewing pictures, very responsive and populates the pictures quickly
- Wifi built in with WiFi sharing (camera to phone, camera to tv, camera to computer)
- Tog wheel is easier to turn (compared to HX9V)
- Display screen is beautiful and crisp.
- Improved focus speed and 20x optical magnification
- GPS (works great with Google Earth/maps)
- Video, for a point and shoot camera, is awesome! Looks great on HDTV.
- Stereo microphones seem improved over HX9V

Not a fan of:
- misleading advertising concerning "Wireless battery charging is available with the included multi-station dock"
- added picture effects could be better. You can alter them on the computer for the same effect. Would like to see miniature mode for making movies.

Great camera! Lots of features! Amazing picture quality in image and movie mode. If you need a new camera, buy this camera. If you want to save a few bucks, get the Sony HX20V. Same camera without the Wifi.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2012 9:22:09 AM PDT
How does the quality of photos in low light compare to the HX9V?
How much faster is the HX30V over the HX9V?
Is there an improvement in video quality over the HX9v?

I have a HX9V and I am considering an upgrade but at the same time trying to get enough information about the HX30V improvements before I make the investment.

Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:51:26 AM PDT
Hey electroshocker2000,

Low light: with the improved sensor and increase in mpixels, there is a noted improvement. Pictures in low light are more defined and the flash does not seem to wash images out. It also seems to adjust in low light conditions much more quickly than the HX9V.

Speed: zoom, focus and processing of images are way faster. The motor seems to be a quieter when zooming in and out. I enjoyed using the HX9V. I did think it took to long to process images and focus on an image. This new camera has taken away, for me, those issues.

Video quality: there is no lag once you hit the movie button. It starts recording immediately. I found when I hit the movie button on the HX9V, it took a good 1-2 secs to start recording. As mentioned above, the over all improvements made to the HX30V help greatly with video processing and recording. It focuses faster than the HX9V and sounds better.

I hope this helps. I am extremely happy with the camera and glad I upgraded. If you are going to use wifi, the extra $20 for the HX30V is worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:33:34 AM PDT
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the detailed review! I'm really happy to hear that recording a movie is notably quicker to start than the HX9V. I had previously considered buying the HX9V but had to pass because I record movies often and the delay was a deal killer, I would likely "miss the action" too much by the time it started recording.

The other camera I've been considering is the Panasonic ZS20. The specs between the ZS20 & the HX20/30V are very similar. Any chance you compared the two?

Also, any concerns regarding carrying the HX30v in the pocket of one's jeans? (Does durability & dust protection seem good?)

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 12:40:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 5:15:44 PM PDT
Hey CarFanatic,

That was one thing that bothered me about the HX9V. I too missed action scenes when trying to record movies. The lag was a killer. I would hit the movie button, then because it would not respond, I would hit it again; thinking that I didn't hit it the first time. In the end, my second button push actually stopped the recording and I missed the shot. It was hard to get use too. Horrible lag.

I have not compared the Lumix ZS20 specs to the Sony HX30V. Panasonic makes a great camera, but I have always been a fan of Sony camera products.

I would have concerns about putting the HX30V in my jean's pockets. The camera is well made and very durable; very much like the HX9V. The lens cover can be pushed apart and separated very easily, exposing the lens. I'm afraid that if you put it in your pocket, the fabric could put pressure on the lens cover, open it, and allow lint, dust, sand, etc., in the lens area. I purchased the Sony LCS-CSU/B carrying case and it works great. I used this case for my HX9V camera. Holds up very well and has plenty of pockets for extra batteries and sd cards. Actually, I took the case and the HX9V with me on a trip to Australia. Put the camera and case through some pretty serious conditions on the trip and they both held up great. If I would have relied on my pockets, I'm afraid I would be telling a different story.

Very happy with the HX30V and will update my review in time.

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:20:39 PM PDT
Athos says:
Im trying to get in contact with Sony to complain about this fake ad based in the wireless charging dock.
Since u have the camera and you paid for something you didnt get, are u going to contact them as well?
Let me know if they give you an answer about it, cause they are being elusive everytime with me.

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:54:20 AM PDT
Malinda R says:
I would love and appreciate seeing photos from the Sony HX30V. Would someone please add some to Amazon soon? Thanks!

Posted on May 6, 2012 5:03:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 6, 2012 5:10:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 5:04:10 PM PDT
Hey Athos,

Yes, I have contacted Sony through Twitter. I actually got a response. They are going to get back to me on Monday. The office that handles this type of complaint is closed on weekends. I had the pdf from Sony on my computer that listed the dock on the spec list. I sent that to them. I'll let you know what they say.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 5:14:26 PM PDT
Hey Kal,

You can record and capture pictures only in HQ, FH and FX quality modes. Will not capture pics in PS quality mode. That is the only way I got it to work.

I hope this helps. Let me know if it works for you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 10:57:37 PM PDT
Athos says:
Thankss a lot for the info...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›