Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Sleek, Great Battery Life., August 26, 2007
This review is from: Timex Men's T48061 Expedition Digital Chrono Alarm Timer Black Fast Wrap Velcro Strap Watch (Watch)
I have had this watch for 4+ years and it died today. It appears that water leaked into the housing and corroded the terminals that provide data to the LCD screen...thus making it so a 3 and a 9 look the same. However, I am confident that this was an old age problem and not a Timex problem. FYI the waterproof is only supposed to last a few years at most on all watches.

1) Durable- It endured a ton of scuffs and scratches on the plastic front and did not hinder the viewing of digits. While taking this watch apart to diagnose it, its guts are VERY solidly put together...even the battery took a few minutes to get out. The buttons never started "sticking" like most other (cheap) watches do after old age.
2) Sleek- Numbers are large and easy to read. No watch should be without a date and day-of-the week display and this one is no exception. The face is MEDIUM sized...great for people like me with smaller wrists (man) or people who don't want to create an eye-sore on their wrist. The face is covered with a silvery tan paint that eventually flaked off, but the plastic underneath it was also tan colored. That made it so it looked the same even after the paint came off. The buttons are wide and easy to push.
3)Great battery life- The quoted duration of the battery is only 3.2 years, according to [...]. I have not had to change the battery yet after 4+ years.
4)Band - The only partially bad thing I can say about it is that the band is Velcro. Velcro loses it's "grip" after being taken on-and-off 400 times. Thus you will have to replace the strap every year or so for about 5-10 dollars if you want that firm grip again. I still think the band is the best I ever used because it is easy on/off and doesn't snap like metal, tear like leather, or lose springs like those latchless metal ones. Completely worth the cost of replacement.

I am definitely planning on buying another one of this watch. Absolutely love it. The fact that it is only $28 and free shipping is even better.

EDIT: I did purchase another one of these a little under 2 years ago...same story...face is scuffed up but display still easily readable. Paint is just now starting to peel. I'm also adding info about changing the strap since someone asked about it in the comments.

The bands are sold at Kohl's (department store) and I think I saw them at walmart. If you can't find them at walmart or don't have a kohl's, just try various watch stores and jewelery counters- look for them on spinning carousels on the counters. The strap is held in to the body by 2 silver spring-loaded bars on the back. I take a very small flat head and push the spring half in and working it out until the spring comes free (careful because the spring bar will shoot out- replacement band comes with 2 new spring bars so don't worry if you lose them). Repeat for the other spring bar. When looking for the replacement band, be sure to take the old one with you. Some bands have a slightly thicker "stretchy" part than others and this can make it a pain to change out (it's possible though). I think the one I get is labeled as "6-8 mm" but I'm not positive. Thinking about it, 6-8 is the one the "petite" version of this watch comes with (smaller face- what I wear)..8-10 mm might be what comes on the regular version. You then install the replacement in the reverse order as removal...hold the stretchy part in the slot then put the spring bar over it and make sure its ends gets in the holes.

PS: The replacement band also comes with picture instructions but we all know given instructions usually aren't very user friendly.

Cost of replacement band: 7[...]. Total time to change out band: < 5 minutes.

EDIT: 3 years after original review.

RE: Can I change the battery?
Of course you can change the battery. There's 4 tiny Phillips screws on the back and the back (stainless steel) will come off once they are removed. You might need a small flathead driver to pry the backing off since it is meant to be watertight. It can take a bit of fanaggling (as I mentioned in the review the guts are put together really well) but the battery is replaceable.

PS - Once you change the battery I'm pretty sure you can not put the watch underwater anymore. I know you can get waterproofing redone professionally (watch repair shop) though. I'm really paranoid about "waterproof" watches so I never took mine swimming or showering at all. It would occasionally get splashed on while I was washing my hands but that was it.

And in case anyone is wondering...I'm still wearing the same watch (second one) with the original battery- 3 years old now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2008 12:14:10 AM PDT
Amby says:
Great help, I agree. The velcro seems like the only real issue I've ever had. I keep buying them over and over again for that issue alone. How do you replace the band?

Posted on May 29, 2009 2:17:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2009 2:25:32 AM PDT

Cost of replacement band: 7 bucks. Total time to change out band: < 5 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2009 2:24:07 AM PDT
I replied to this post below but didn't click the "reply" button. Just doing this post in case there's some sort of email notification if a user makes a direct reply.

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 8:33:26 AM PST
Pelly says:
I agree with the quality review of this watch, mine was a present from awhile ago and it died only recently. I was wondering one thing, because this watch has sentimental value to me. Is there any way to replace the watch battery after it's gone dead, instead of just buying a new watch? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 8:33:29 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 10, 2010 8:33:57 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 11:17:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2010 11:23:23 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2013 2:20:26 PM PDT
There is a rubber ring underneath the back cover which makes the watch waterproof. If you put this back properly when changing the battery the watch will remain waterproof. I have changed the battery several times and accidentally sent the watch through the wash numerous times, and it's still working just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2014 10:54:12 PM PDT
Blueeyesmn says:
I have replaced my battery twice. One by a jeweler & once myself If you do it yourself be sure to see how there battery is oriented in the case before removing the old battery

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 7:34:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2015 7:35:46 AM PST
Detman101 says:
I've had one of these since my early 20's and just recently messed it up. It served me faithfully since college and went with me on all my adventures up and down the east coast.

I stopped wearing a watch a few years back but I recently started wearing a watch again. My overzealousness got the best of me and I tried to change the battery myself and lost two of the outer screws. I got frustrated and threw the rest of my "Old Faithful" into the garbage and bought an Armitron on Amazon.

The armitron is the size of one of the usual modern day HUGE tactical watches and I'll be ordering another "Expedition" fairly soon so my arm doesn't keep getting caught up in everything I put on, walk past or brush into....yeesh.

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 9:29:08 AM PDT
Re: Replacement bands- I have been scouting my local xmart for their knockoff version of this watch. NOT for the watch, but for the band. It's good enough for 6+ months, or whenever it gets that really bad FUNK and you are too lazy to figure out how to wash and more importantly DRY the thing efficiently. Just easier to pop a new band in, and when you find the knockoffs at the xmart for under 10 bucks, it's worth doing often. (toss the watch, keep the spring clips, band, and battery)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›