1.0 out of 5 stars Not so reliable turkey fryer! See updates!, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Masterbuilt 20010109 Butterball Professional Series Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased a Butterball Professional Fryer model 20010109 less than a year ago and used yesterday on Easter Sunday for the second time. It quit heating after the first batch and I disconnected it from the power cord and tried to reset it as directed in the manual. The reset button on back of power head would not press in and I could not get it to work. Timer will work but the power light will not come on and it will no longer heat at all. I had to finish frying on the stove and it took much longer and with less consistency than with the fryer and you can only imagine the mess inside my kitchen which added to my embarassment and frustration. I would not recommend this product at this time.

I was frying for over 20 guests and everyone was really impressed when I started and many said they had seen the commercials on the product and considered buying one. They didn't feel the same after I told them that this was only the second time I used the thing and it stopped working already. I used it the first time to fry fish also, but I did buy it to fry turkeys. I was going to use it to boil crawfish and fry turkeys also.

I have contacted Masterbuilt and am waiting their reply. I will repost when I hear from them.

Update: Called the toll free number and spoke to [...] and in a matter of minutes I was told that a new control panel would be sent out tomorrow. There seems to be a few faulty control panels out there and I was lucky enough to get a bad one. When you look at all the good reviews that are written about this fryer, you have to wonder why this happened to me. The very good news is that they think they have a good product and are standing behind it. I am very happy with their customer service and even though I had a problem with the unit, which can happen sometimes, it is good to know it will be fixed. I have to update my review from 1 star for now because of the way customer service has handled my faulty fryer.

Update #2: I put the unit away after I received the "new" control head without ever trying it out. Well yesterday I had family come to town to have fried turkey. Birds cleaned and seasoned and injected and oil in the fryer, I plugged the unit in and NOTHING. Embarrassing right! I tried the reset and that didn't do it. I checked the power cord to see if there was power to the unit and the cord was ok, but it wouldn't turn on. Needless to say I am EXTREMELY P*&^(& OFF right now. I have read so many good reviews about this damn thing that I have to believe I am very unlucky and want to scream to the world about the horrible experience I've had with your product but I really want the damn thing to work. I have fried many turkeys outside with the propane rig and they come out great but I thought your product would be perfect for me but I have yet been able to fry one. I bought this thing from Amazon and I wrote a review about it with an update after you sent the new control head. I really can't recommend this product in light of my experience.

Update #3 (Nov 16, 2012): I must say that customer support is great (thanks Tiffany). I was sent ANOTHER control panel along with some complementary goodies for the hassel. I received the new control panel and installed it and connected the power cord. When it didn't work AGAIN, I knew something else had to be wrong. I started looking at directions to see what it could be. I am not sure why but none of the control panels were engaging the safety switch and therefore unit would not come on. Don't know why the switch would not engage but after tinkering with it for awhile it came on. I know I should not have done this but a guy has to do what a guy has to do. I took the panel apart and bypassed the safety switch. Now it works like a charm and have fried some corn fritters and shrimp and steamed some asparagus without a problem. Great for fried fish also! I know I voided the warranty but I had to make this thing work. I commend you (Tiffany)on your diligence and thank you for not losing your patience with me. I am glad it works now even if I had to modify it. I can't wait to fry a turkey. I have never had a product that had such great customer support and can only say hoorah to them. I still don't why I have had such bad luck with this thing after reading so many excellent reviews on it but I must say they will do what they have to do to make it right!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 9:49:05 AM PDT
vinnyp says:
Update: Called the toll free number and spoke to Tiffany and in a matter of minutes I was told that a new control panel would be sent out tomorrow. There seems to be a few faulty control panels out there and I was lucky enough to get a bad one. When you look at all the good reviews that are written about this fryer, you have to wonder why this happened to me. The very good news is that they think they have a good product and are standing behind it. I am very happy with their customer service and even though I had a problem with the unit, which can happen sometimes, it is good to know it will be fixed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›