4.0 out of 5 stars Not Cheap, But Not Cheap, June 22, 2010
This review is from: RODE PSA1 Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm (Electronics)
This is not an inexpensive piece of equipment, and the do-it-yourselfer in me really wanted to try a desk lamp conversion instead, but I decided to entrust the support of my expensive microphones to the PSA 1 instead. Granted, it's not cheap, but it's still much less expensive than, say, a MIKARM or similar pro model that can easily set you back $300-500 with basic attachments.

I also considered the Heil Sound PL-2T, which seems to be of comparable price and quality, and features internal cable management (which the PSA 1 does not), but ultimately decided to give the PSA 1 a shot because it comes with both clamp and bushing mounts.

Having set it up and played with it a bit, I'm happy with the quality of the product. The chrome-plated hardware that comes with the boom is solid, and the overall package has a strong, no-nonsense feel to it. With the 5/8" adapter in place, it now holds my beloved AT3035 conveniently and securely.

Prior to this, I was using a floor stand with boom, which offers great flexibility, but was always getting in my way and occasionally was in danger of tripping me and being knocked down. Having my mic mounted on the desk is safer and removes floor clutter from the area in front of my studio desk.

I'm satisfied enough with the nature and quality of the Rodes PSA 1 that I just ordered another for my office desk, where I plan to use it to hold my AT2020 USB podcasting mic.

I'm giving it four stars instead of five because I think a more reasonable price point for this model would be about 75% of what it is. However, that hasn't stopped me from buying two of them anyway. ;-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2011 3:59:27 PM PDT
skipfactor says:
I am shopping these because I am currently using a weighted (I even doubled the lead) floor stand with boom. I've seen a brand new gold edition condenser mic fall on its head hard twice, after slight bumps from me sent the boom spiraling down after a few unbalanced tips.

Obviously, a noob mistake again on mic stand choice; I went w/ weighted base after buying the ubiquitous $20 China stage-specials that fall apart nightly in almost every club on the globe. Weight the hollow bottom of the boom arm as well as the base guys! And take a lesson from quality cymbal stand design. And I wish I had bought one of these BEFORE I purchased & strapped a few hundred dollars to a Weeble stand. It's a horrible sound & the bumps & craters in the gold screen are mine to live w/!

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 7:27:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2011 7:27:50 AM PDT
Mark Graban says:
How did this work with the AT2020 mic? I have that same mic and I'm considering this stand/arm.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (155 customer reviews)

$109.00 $99.00