1.0 out of 5 stars Serious Problems, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Medialink Easy Setup Wireless Router, Repeater & Range Extender (300 Mbps) (Electronics)
At first I was impressed with this wireless router but I soon changed my mind. First concern, the router internal date was not settable. No matter which time zone you selected, it always defaulted back to "Arizona". I'm guessing a firmware issue. Not a show stopper though. What WAS a show stopper was that somehow and at some unknown time, the router reset back to it's defaults. All my security settings were gone. I have no idea how long this was occurring. The SSID was reset. The MAC address filtering was reset and gone. The WPA-TKIP encryption was gone. The router became an open access point to anybody and everybody in the area. This is not acceptable for ANY wireless router at ANY time. Although the price point for this device is attractive, I would strongly avoid this unit until it matures to the point it can reliably hold onto it's security settings.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 16 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 99 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2011 5:20:21 AM PDT
Hello from Medialink,

The Time Zone issue is a known issue that will be fixed in the next firmware, however there is a work around:

In order to set the Time Zone to yours, select the following Time Zones instead:
For Eastern: Choose (GMT-02:00) Mid-Atlantic
For Central: Choose (GMT-04:00) Caracas, La Paz
For Mountain: Choose (GMT-07:00) Arizona
For Pacific simply choose Pacific.
Click Apply after your choice and it will save to the correct time zone.

As for your router automatically resetting to default factory settings, that is an electrical defect and is not a normal symptom or problem of this router. There is a 1-Year warranty on this item so we can replace your defective device for you. Please give us a call at 856-216-8222 Tues-Sat 9am to 6pm Eastern or email us at support@medialinkproducts.com

Thanks,
Medialink

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 7:22:20 AM PDT
JustAReader says:
to be responded by the seller or the manufacturer is a great PLUS for the consumers to decide whether to buy this product or not without any hesitant doubt but assurance. medialink did this is a positive attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 7:34:13 AM PDT
Jeff says:
I am impressed that Medialink is responding to issues in the Amazon comments. This is some serious customer service. I just ordered one to replace my Netgear Router that just died, and look forward to setting this up on Saturday.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 11:55:35 PM PDT
S. Tran says:
This shows that Medialink does care and respects its customer - To encourage this business practice and to show my confidence in this new name, I just placed an order few minutes ago!
PS: I will post my review as soon as I receive the shipment

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 7:33:41 PM PDT
Ali Q says:
Our house is about 4000 sq ft. 3 floors. Do you think this router will cover our house. Currently we are using net gear "n" router and it is very spotty and also it drop signals offten.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 12:11:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011 12:20:56 PM PDT
Hi Ali Q,

The Medialink router is comparable to the Netgear N router when it comes to range. I would not expect a farther reaching signal from the Medialink router unfortunately. However, if the Netgear router is not performing at it's peak, it's possible you would see an improvement. You may want to consider running a second router in a different location of the house. You would either need an Ethernet cable between the two routers or a HomePlug Adapter kit to bridge the gap. But then you could have two wireless access points to make for a bigger network.

Let me know if you have further questions about any of this.

Thanks,
Medialink Customer Support
856-216-8222
support@medialinkproducts.com
Tues-Sat 9am to 6pm Eastern

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 8:55:06 PM PDT
M. Pearson says:
Dear Medialink,

Congratulations. You have won me over with your feedback to these users. I am a network engineer and often make purchases on Amazon. I even use Amazon when at times purchasing local, just for the reviews and feedback. I usually start at the bottom and found these posts immediately. I want to know what is wrong with stuff and read the negative stuff first. I was pleasantly surprised by your posts. Good job! You made another sale and probably quite a few more as users ask my advice. Don't ever stop thinking that these posts don't make sense. If you are a VP in charge of support, consider it time well spent, to have your support crew pursue these reviews. The world talks in these seemingly small spaces and when the manufacturer listens AND responds, we all win.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 9:34:19 AM PDT
S. Janca says:
I absolutely agree with M. Pearson's post. The replies from Medialink are virtually unheard of in today's environment and are a refreshing change. I am a principal at a small south Texas school and, as a former technology facilitator in the school district, often serve as the "go-to" guy when teachers are looking to buy new or additional technology for themselves or their family. I will gladly recommend Medialink to them! Keep up the great work.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 5:54:52 PM PDT
Kelvin Gray says:
ME TOO! I replaced my crappy Belkin N Router with this, and boy am I satisfied!!

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 7:43:10 PM PST
yep, purchasing mine now...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›