2,861 of 2,888 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars WiiFit Newbie - LOVES the FUN new games!!, October 4, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board (Video Game)
INTRO:
After years of wanting a Wii, we finally got one! And, of course, like any overly-excited newbie, I couldn't wait to get the new WiiFit (WiiFit Plus). I picked it up at midnight, with the Balance Board. (TIP: if ur buying from brick-and-mortar stores, call ahead, it took me an hour to convince them that it was ok to sell it to me, and it was already 12:30a!) I got home, set it up (took just a few minutes, mostly unwrapping) and played until 5am! I was nearly falling asleep between games, but it was so much fun, I couldn't stop! Now, THAT's a motivator to work out! It even asked if I was a 'NIGHT OWL' and I had the option to keep my "day" 'open' until 3am, for those late-night workout sessions!

THE GAMES, & WHY I LOVE THEM:
Without leaving my 12'x12' living room, I can do: Circus Juggling, Skateboarding, Island Cycling, HulaHooping, Rhythm Parade, Segwaying, & Perfect 10 - these are the ones I like the most right now. My current favorite is the Bulls-Eye game (you flap your arms to 'fly' over water and reach platforms!) It's just awesome! And, it's cool that most of the activities are all on the same island - so you can bike it, run it, walk it, fly it, segway it, float it, bounce it, etc.! I also like that, in most games (not the Bubble one, tho), you don't 'die' if you do it 'wrong'. Nothing's worse than almost getting to the end of a cycling game, and then running into a tree and having to start over - ugh! But, with WiiFit, it's so pleasant, you just maneuver your way back on track! No stress! Yet, I like that u still do collect points - I already have a competition to 'beat' my BF's scores - I even left him a 'note' on the wii to try to beat mine in a couple of games, when he woke up! We haven't tried the 'multiplayer' mode yet.

STRENGTH, FLEXIBILITY, & KEEPING TRACK:
I LOVE the 'make your own' routine - you pick as many activities as you want, from dozens of Yoga Postures, and Strength Training choices (they even tell you how long the total 'workout' will take, as you make your selections) and then you hit 'start'; and it cycles thru them, one-after-the-other, checking off each one, as you go; and, saving the 'routine' for the future. If you don't need to have that much customization, or if you need more guidance, you can choose from 5 options for a pre-made routine (Lifestyle, Health, Youth, Form, & Combine), or you can click the cute balance board graphic and it creates one for you! The tracking capability is nice, complete with graphs, and a visual calendar which I 'stamp' every day I use the WiiFit. You can even add your daily step count AND activities you do outside of the WiiFit! This appeals to my analytical and visual side! Another option it gives you is that you can choose a food (from a selection of 20 or so), and then make a daily goal to burn as many calories as that food has - I didn't realize sticky rice had so many calories!

SHOW ME THE NUMBERS:
It calculates your BMI from your user-entered height and a balance board-measured weight. The weight measurement seemed a little off, as it made both me and my BF about 5-10 lbs lighter than we've been told, from other scales. But, that's A-OK with me! (NOTE: if you use it on carpet, adding the little "carpet feet" will improve accuracy, and potentially, gameplay response). Our weight measurements "normalized" with the little feet added. It seems like it's mostly set up to help you lose weight and burn calories (while improving your balance & posture), however my BF and I have different goals - I'm trying to lose 20 lbs, and he's trying to gain 20 lbs. The Wii did rightfully call him underweight and told him to do strength-training to build muscle. It just laughed at me and told me to 'strap in'! haha - jk!

WISHES & BENEFITS:
While it might not be 100% perfect (wish there was no 'dying' in the Balance Bubble or Tightrope game; and in the snowball fight, it'd be nice to have the option to physically move my arm to throw, instead of just pushing 'A' to throw; skateboarding goes thru a long 'training run' every time you play; it would be cool if Super Hula Hoop was more than just Left AND Right circles (like add arms or something); and oh, to be able to enter total calories eaten for the day; etc.), it sure is a LOT of fun and DEFINITELY motivates u to MOVE! The corny but pleasant music, scenery, and challenges are already helping me look forward to getting going in the morning and coming home at night. You earn fit credits, with activities, which then allow you to unlock more advanced activities, giving you a good bit of motivation to keep going - imagine if they gave you 'legal trade' currency coins for working out! Plus, it always fits into my schedule: I can do as little as a *minute* of activity or as much as I want! It's closer than a gym, there's no monthly dues, you can wear whatever you want, it's open at 3am, the smoothies are always organic, and (depending on where u play) there isn't that icky/smelly/sticky/germy/loud atmosphere of a typical gym! Team up with a friend, for a little extra motivation and competition!

SUMMARY:
For those who aren't familiar with video games, (or who see them as a 'waste' of time) this is a great one to 'start' with. The Wii is my first real game system (other than an old Intellivision, we've had Super Nintendo, Game Cube, & Playstations in the house, but with all those cryptic buttons and 'codes', and my busy schedule, I never bothered with them). However, the Wii was up and running in no time and the 'controls' are very intuitive. I've even had a lot of 'older' people playing and having fun, in short order! The Balance Board was easy to set up, easy to figure out, and is SUPER fun to play with, oh, and I burned a boatload of calories - woo-hoo! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Wii Balance Board AND the WiiFit Plus!

UPDATE:
Did another 30 mins this afternoon: tried the Penguin Game and the Flame and the Tightrope - all were lots of fun (keeping the flame still was a little stressful with noisy neighbors!)

UPDATE 2:
My parents just came over and I had them try it out, using the "Trial" mode, so they didn't have to go through the in-depth setup process - my mom really liked the HulaHoop activity and my dad really liked the Bull's Eye activity (where you flap your wings to fly and land on targets!) We had such a great time - it was hilarious to watch each other!! The trial mode is a great feature - it lets you share your WiiFit Plus experience with guests who are not looking to set up a whole profile and get weighed and do balance tests, etc. Of course, there are those 'measurement' options in the Trial mode, if a guest user so chooses, they just won't be able to save their profile.

I rely on reviews here at Amazon, to help me make informed buying choices. I hope this review has helped you in the same manner. If you voted this as helpful, I Thank You!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2009 3:59:09 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 4:09:08 PM PDT
G. Serra says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 4:42:19 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
Hi Clifford - thanks for the compliment! I don't work for Nintendo, but maybe I should apply. I do a lot of research on products before I buy them, so I really appreciate when someone else writes an in-depth review, with points that I might not read in the typical article or description. I'm just returning the favor, for all those who've helped me in the past. In addition, I am the type of person who just gets excited when I find something I like and I want to share it with others. For instance, I did research on, love using, and always recommend the: Bellicon Bungee Rebounder, Nokia E71 phone, Dell Vostro 1700 Laptop, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Camera, Powerex Rechargeable Batteries & Charger, Netgear WNDR3300 router, Canon Pixma MX860 All-in-One, Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed, Sigg Water Bottles, Preserve Recycled Razors, Oral-B Professional Series Rechargeable Toothbrush, Uniball Vision Elite Rollerball Pens...the list goes on. I'm also a bit obsessive, detail-oriented, and quite thorough (maybe this is enough to get hired??), and the 'talking' gene runs in my family. I hope that settles your curiosity and I hope there was something you found useful in my review. And, if I do get hired, I'm definitely asking them about that weight measurement discrepancy and putting in my two-cents for those 'wishes' I listed! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 5:09:20 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
G. Serra - yes, you are right in that I have very much enthusiasm about the game. Thank you for noticing that! Fortunately, I didn't have to stand in line at all (the waiting I had to do at the store was because of a store 'scanning' problem). I had wanted the game for a while, and I am usually up late, so it was no problem to go to the store at night (I actually prefer it, there's less traffic and less crowding). I wanted to post a review as early as possible, so that others can get a preliminary idea of a new user's experience with the new games that are included, and some old ones, for those new to WiiFit. Since I'm not a habitual gamer and wouldn't really know how to properly 'critique' a video game, other than sharing my own experience, I wouldn't even attempt a "real" critical review. I'm hoping that the usual outlets for that sort of thing will have their reviews in soon, as well. I find it interesting to learn how other people are using a product differently from me - it's good to get tips that way, too! I did update my "user" review a little, after further experience with the game, and once I have used it for a while longer, would like to give more details. If, in 3 months, I am still using it, having fun, and keeping fit, well, that's where the true "experience" comes in. Until then, I'm Skateboarding, Flying, Juggling, HulaHooping, Sliding, Bicycling, KungFu'ing, Parading...and if you do buy the game, may you find it as enjoyable as I have! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 5:25:57 PM PDT
G. Serra says:
I am glad you are enjoying the game so far, I am too enthusiastic about this game, I preordered the same day it was available to do so (Sept. 1st) and benefit about Amazon's preorder price garantee and bought it for $89.99, but when times come to write a review, I take my time, in fact, Amazon itselfs reminds me this by email.

Right now I am eager for info as my game won't ship until Oct. 6th, so thanks anyway for sharing your review.

I will come back later to check if you update it as your gain more experience through time.

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 5:44:25 PM PDT
K. Mullen says:
Thanks for the in depth review - so nice to hear! We have the Wii but never bought Wii Fit, so I'm looking forward to getting WiI Fit Plus for Christmas, it sounds like lots of fun! Have you ever tried We Cheer? Sounds corny but it's lots of fun as well, and We Cheer 2 is coming out next month I think! Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 7:56:20 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
G. Serra - you're welcome! And, as a review reader myself, thank you for your many well-thought-out and well-written reviews! Here's hoping *your* WiiFitPlus arrives quickly, and that, in a few months, I still have great things to say about my new 'toy'!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 8:04:21 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
K. Mullen - thanks for reading my review and replying! I haven't tried Wii Cheer - although, I do have to be honest, I was secretly curious to know if it was fun. I was never a Cheerleader in my 'real' life, and wouldn't want to wear those little outfits, but the teams always did make it look like it was lots of fun! I'll definitely check the game out, thanks! PS - not sure if you know this, but if you already have the balance board, you can buy the WiiFit Plus game, by itself, for under $20. My parents just came over and I had them try it out, using the "Trial" mode, so they didn't have to go through the in-depth setup process - my mom really liked the HulaHoop activity and my dad really liked the Bull's Eye activity (where you flap your wings to fly and land on targets!) We had such a great time - it was hilarious to watch each other!!

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 6:16:14 AM PDT
L. Williams says:
I plan on getting this for Christmas for my family and was wondering if the Wii Plus has some of the old games too? like the skiing, etc?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 7:56:14 AM PDT
Bob Main says:
I haven't received my copy yet, but from everything I read, it has all the old games as well. Also, if you already have Wii Fit, the Plus can use your old Wii Fit profiles and data as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,628 customer reviews)
 (1,184)