1.0 out of 5 stars I will NEVER buy another Samsung product for as long as I live, July 24, 2012
This review is from: Samsung BD-E6500 3D WiFi Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) (Old Version) (Electronics)
WARNING!!! If you buy this product or ANY Samsung Blu-Ray player and make the mistake of selecting "yes" when it asks you if you want to update the software, there is a GREAT chance you will be left with a completely worthless piece of JUNK. Do a quick google search for "SAMSUNG BLU RAY STUCK ON LOAD" if you don't believe me. Once you're stuck on LOAD, there is NO factory reset. They say unplug it, hold the FF key, hold power. I finally got got a hold of a tech support guy who said there's nothing you can do once you're stuck there. You can send it in and pay for shipping and repair, or throw it away I guess. I'm electing to just throw it away.

Samsung takes zero responsibility for this. It is THEIR patch, THEIR defect and it DESTROYS your player. I just want to know WHY they have been letting this go on since 2011. Why aren't they fixing this? I honestly would rather have flushed $200 down the toilet. Then I would just have myself to blame.

Please save yourself the time, the money and the headache and buy a different Blu-Ray player.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 26, 2012 6:06:17 PM PDT
M. Wheaton says:
So I read this post and thought, what are the chances that is going to happen to me? I didn't ever select "Yes" to update anything but I did hook up to my wifi - at any rate STUCK ON LOAD!!! I have to send in for fix. - this is ridiculous.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:14:59 AM PST
Stosh says:
I have an older (by about a year or so) Samsung BD player, the BD-D6700, and it has been excellent. Never had any of the problems you describe. So while this player may be deficient, to dismiss all Samsung players because of this one is just not a valid viewpoint.

That said, you get what you pay for. These very cheap players are not going to be as good as, say, the Oppo BD player I have in my main entertainment system. So spend a bit more, on any brand, and you will likely get a better product.

That, of course, does not excuse the problems this player exhibits, but these cheap players are not what I would have any expectations of quality from.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:11:54 AM PST
Not a valid viewpoint? Their own patch renders the player completely useless and they've done absolutely nothing to rectify their own mistake. Sounds like bad business practice to me, but to each their own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:19:20 AM PST
Stosh says:
You seem to have completely missed the point that I made. Your comment about this particular player is certainly valid. But when you say, "or ANY Samsung Blu-Ray player", that is NOT valid. Samsung makes, and has made, other BD players that are perfectly fine and do not exhibit the problem you describe when updating their firmware.

Be careful when you spout generalizations. They are rarely, if ever, true.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:40:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 5:42:08 AM PST
I said I will not buy another Samsung product because of their business practice which is absolutely a valid viewpoint. I never said every Samsung product is deficient. I'm glad you've had a better experience and that your Blu Ray player isn't sitting in a landfill somewhere. That's fantastic and I thank you for sharing that anecdote with me. I'll still never spend another dime on a Samsung product. You can if you wish. Good luck with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:14:16 PM PST
Stosh says:
I am the least brand-loyal person you can find. For example, my home theater consists of Vandersteen speakers, a Panasonic TV, an Oppo Blu-Ray player, a Denon AVR, and a Pioneer DVD recorder and a Sony VCR (which I use to transfer VHS tapes to DVD for friends and relatives), and a Dish Network DVR.

I do extensive due diligence when researching products to buy, to find the best equipment in my price range. I would never buy a sub-$200 blu-ray player, because they almost certainly don't have the level of quality I look for. Plus, it is almost certain that the cost of repairing any such player would approach the cost of the player itself.

I'm a bit surprised that you googled this Samsung player _after_ you bought it, not _before_. As I said, I do obsessive research before I buy any product, so I would not have bought this player without prior knowledge of its faults.

I agree that Samsung dropped the ball on this player, and your criticism of the player, and Samsung's response, is appropriate. But in the future, if I found a Samsung product that fit my needs, budget, and quality standards, I would not hesitate to buy it.

My recommendation to you would be to look into the new Oppo blu-ray players. Yes, they cost more. But they provide reference-quality audio and video, they have the best customer service in the business, and their products are built to the highest standards. You may balk at the $500 price, but spending more on a better product that will last forever makes more sense to me than throwing away $200 on an inferior product that you will have to replace. Between the money you already wasted on this player, and whatever you spend on your next disposable cheap player, you could have bought something much better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:31:33 PM PST
M. Wheaton says:
I read J.Brooke's post again and it seems like your response which focuses on the possible overstatement in regards to the "ANY Samsung...." is pedantry. I am not sure I would go so far as he/she but I agree there is a serious issue here and agree with his/her stance of, by withholding further custom, standing up to a poor business practice that would be analogous to Ford selling you a car then, when you take it in for a service, randomly smashing it with a sledgehammer and saying you are going to have to pay to tow it the main office because we can't fix cars that have been smashed into disrepair by a sledgehammer at this location. Samsung isn't uploading a patch to your Blu-ray its a virus plain and simple and I don't care if I pay USD5.00 in food stamps for my Blu-ray it is what one would call "not right".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:32:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 3:44:27 PM PST
Stosh says:
I stand by my comments. Your analogy doesn't work, because your are assuming that all (Ford) Samsung products are equally defective, and the company response is the same in all situations. That is simply not true.

If I bought this Samsung player, I would certainly be upset at its faults and at the company's response. But I never would have bought it, because I would have done research up front, and I would never trust these cheap commodity products in the first place. Look at the reviews here and elsewhere for even the highest-rated cheap players, and you will find people that got defective versions of them. This player seems especially bad, but when you pay these prices for these products, you cannot logically expect flawless performance or high quality. That does not in any way excuse Samsung's response to the quality issues of this player, nor does it mean that all Samsung products are equally bad or equally poorly supported.

My whole point, that you both seem to be missing, is that damning all Samsung products because of one defective product is not a valid response. Every company (including Ford) makes bad products from time to time that they can't make good on. "Possible overstatement" on Mr. Hefley's part? No. Definite overstatement. Hopefully next time he will research his choices more thoroughly. Better yet, he won't opt for a cheap player. Despite what you want to believe or want to be true, these cheap players are disposable items; they are not designed to be high-quality durable products. You are better off paying more up front for a better product that will perform well for a long time than going through a number of inferior products, getting less value, over that same amount of time, and spending the same amount of money in the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 4:09:04 PM PST
The point you seem to be missing is that it's not that all their products are defective, it's their bad business practice that makes Samsung a poor choice. One very simple thing they could have done is take their software update offline. That alone would have saved my player. They decided not to do that, and kept the problem going, which is unacceptable to me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that $200 is a big chunk of change for some people. I am a stay-at-home mom and I honestly thought I was investing in a nice blu-ray player.

One thing I can agree with you on is that it is better to research products before buying. That is why I left an Amazon review. Samsung simply does not stand by their products (even if it is their error) and that is one company I will never again support. I still haven't bought a new DVD player but when I do, you can bet I have learned my lesson & will do my research and it definitely won't be from Samsung. Lesson learned on both counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 4:10:15 PM PST
I think that is an excellent analogy. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›