4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Until you become king..., October 26, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fable III - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
After finishing the game, I have been forced to edit my review.

I was a huge fan of Fable 2, I loved the interaction with the people, the cities, and how you could make the game your own. Fable 3 is a good successor to the Fable storyline. The main plot is engaging and the wit/humor found within keeps you laughing. The game does a good job of mixing up the action, bringing you to different places and having you accomplish varying tasks throughout.

However, Fable 3 is essentially a cut down version of Fable 2. While removing the menus was generally a good thing, the Fable 3 team went too far. I list the Pros/ Cons here, but my final verdict is that unless you know what is coming at the end of the game, the end decision will ruin the endgame (the part after the plot is done) almost guaranteed. I won't give away anything, but I strongly recommend you either be willing to play through twice, or rent the game. I was extremely angry at the Fable team after the plot was over. Forcefully shutting my xbox off, controller on the ground, angry.

Pros-

-No Menus
When I say no menus, I mean none what so ever, instead you have your sanctuary. An area that you can instantly teleport to whenever you want. Inside is your armory, dressing room, trophy room etc. All your items are displayed on mannequins and on the wall so you can pick and choose without going through layers and layers of menus. Even saving has an area in your sanctuary (not very obvious in the beginning). It sounds like it would be weird, but it really adds to the immersion of the game and works very well. A big map does the traveling when you can select areas for your indicator trail to go (same as fable 2) or fast travel to the areas that you've already visited. You can also zoom in on cities that you've visited and see more information about them. The entire idea may sound weird, but it really adds to the continuity of the game.

-Alive weapons
When I heard in the trailer that the weapons were 'alive' and would change as we used them I thought it would be neat, but weapons probably wouldn't be that different. Boy was I wrong. A friend came into my world, same levels as I was, and ALL of our weapons were totally different. I'm not saying the designs or colors, but EVERYTHING. Shape, size, color, symbols/color of symbol. Everything. This provides a very cool customization of weapons.

-World is much bigger
And I'm not kidding, after eight or nine hours of Fable 2 you basically had explored everything. I've played at least that much and have only seen five or six of the at least twenty or so villages/areas. It's huge.

-No allocation of skill points
Unlike Fable 2, where you had to choose areas to put your different skill points into, Fable 3 has a much more streamlined process. You get (basically xp, but I forget what they are called) which are earned through kills, quests, and talking to villages. Inside the sanctuary you can visit this area called 'Road to the Kingdom' or something along those lines. Inside, there is a figurative path on how close you are to ruling Albion, with chests and gates along the way. Every little way in the game, a gate is opened allowing you access to more chests, which can be opened with a requisite amount of 'xp'.

-Better Graphics
Title basically speaks for itself. The graphics are more polished although I have encountered some stuttering.

Very generally, more spells, more swords, more people, and more flourishes. You can weave spells together to create amazing effects. (fire and ice robert frost style anyone?

-Amazing Variety
I have YET to find myself doing something to the point where I am bored of it. It maintains continuity throughout but manages to stay away from just 'bashing your way through'. You never know what you'll have to do next, from interacting with villagers to make them like you, romancing a married woman to get her to divorce her husband that doesn't want her, to playing as the hero inside a dungeons and dragons game.

-Combat
In Fable 2, you could pretty much bash your way through anything without having to worry about finesse. That's gone... In just about every battle I have been pushed to roll and block in order to keep the enemies from overpowering me. The enemies are various, and they always have one or two strong guys that really make you feel pressured while fighting.

-More realistic villagers
In Fable 2, if you had enough renown basically everyone loved you. Its a little harder in Fable 3. If you want that girl/guy as your significant other you need to work for it a bit more.

-Pro/Con (can't tell)
You no longer get money when the game is shut off like Fable 2. This is good, and bad. It makes it so it is much harder to get gold, but also stops the Fable 2 money cheat.

-Cons

-Graphics stuttering
The graphics have a tendency to lag or stutter during the game. This can ruin your 'lute hero' chain, and is just annoying. You can, however, download the game to your xbox hard drive which will eliminate the stuttering.

-Lack of interactivity
When conversing with a villager, you have two emotes to choose from. A 'good' emote and an 'evil' emote. If you want to shake hands with someone, but your only good option is to dance then your stuck with dancing with them. This is very annoying, and makes me miss the emote wheel from Fable 2. The world of Fable 3 also feels shallower than the world of Fable 2. This could be because I didn't really try to get to know the world until after I became king and the 'big choice' which impacts the game quite a bit.

-The choice
After you become king, you are faced with a giant choice. Unless you specifically prepare for it, I almost guarantee it will ruin your game/day. I was NOT happy.

The first part of the game was excellent, wit and humor was hilarious. Plot was twisting with many old characters brought back (reaver, therese). The end choice literally ruined a lot of it for me though.

***SEMI SPOILER***

If you don't want the end choice to make you very, very angry save a lot of gold. When I say a lot, I mean a lot. (~10 million). It is, however, easier to make gold. In about 20 minutes you can have around 100,000 which then can be invested into property. Keep investing until you get a lot of income per income cycle, then wait till you have the requisite amount of gold

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2010 8:34:38 PM PDT
A. Castine says:
Have a question. I played Fable 2, and tried really hard to like it, but I just could'nt. I was bored and thought the graphics, for the characters, were lousy (except for the beginning part). I was also dissappointed in how god ugly my female character was, I mean woof. I loved how she got big, fat and bald working in the prison. The only good part was the landscaping, that was done well. Please tell me they've cleaned things up or prettied things up. Also, can you tell me if the dumb "gain wieght for eating healing items and noone talks to you" thing is over, it was rediculous. I just finished Dragon Age and LOVED it, is it more like that?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 8:55:28 PM PDT
The female character in Fable 3 is much prettier than in Fable 2, and no longer looks like an East German Olympic Gymnast from the Cold War. Alas, if you didn't like Fable 2, you might not like Fable 3 as it's more of the same, only tweaked.

It is nowhere as deep or immersive as DRAGON AGE, alas. It's more light-hearted and whimsical in the British way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 10:33:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2010 10:33:44 PM PDT
Ti says:
Fable 3 is a lot like Fable 2. I imagine if you didn't care for Fable 2 you are probably going to have the same feelings for Fable 3. I also agree with Asian movie in that Dragon Age was much more immersive. I think Fable 3 is fun but I also enjoyed Fable 2 and don't mind the similar feel.

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 10:38:35 PM PDT
Lotus Scrum says:
Fable was GREAT! Fable II was a joke.... if this is alot like Fable II I wont waste my money. Thanks for the heads up!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 5:44:45 AM PDT
A. Castine says:
Thank you. Your discription of the female char. was spot on! I think I'll wait until the price for the game has gone down, or rent it first. I would like to try it, the graphics on the previews look amazing, so I'll give it a go and who knows.

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 8:34:24 AM PDT
Mindray says:
Ethan,

I noticed the graphics problem as well. If you install the game, it immediately goes away. The gameplay becomes much much much smoother.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 3:37:33 PM PDT
Ethan P. says:
Thanks, I'll try that and see if it fixes anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 6:26:58 PM PDT
Well, there is one main improvement over FABLE 2:

The story and dialogue are better-written and more organic in Fable 3. They feel more integrated to the gameplay. As a result it feels less disjointed and the satirical humour is better-executed.

The moral choices are overly-simplistic. In RPGs like MASS EFFECT, DRAGON AGE and FALLOUT 3 and FALLOUT NEW VEGAS, the choices and consequences are more complex and morally grey. In FABLE 3, the choices are too cartoonishly simple. Your choices are either Angelically Good or Psychopathic-Puppy-Kicking-Evil.

If you're in the mood for a lighter RPG designed for casual gamers who don't like to grind or spend most of the game managing their inventories (though the attention you need to pay to how much money you have gets tedious), then FABLE 3 works well. Rent or buy when the game hits $30 or less and you'll feel it's a decent purchase.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 12:01:06 PM PDT
I bought this game for my son. When he played Fable 2 it lasted a long time. He was crestfallen when he received the game on a Tuesday and was finished by Friday. From what he said he didn't like the way the clothes are laid out as a package deal rather than in Fable 2 you could buy what you wanted. He also wasn't "liking" the money making in the game. Whereas in Fable 2 even when you weren't playing you accrued money, in Fable 3 you could not. He said he liked the Sanctuary but wasn't "grooving" on the map?? (Don't know why)
Hope this helps.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 7:54:36 PM PDT
Maine says:
I bought this game but its put up for christmas....have they patched all the bugs yet...the crazy bread crumb trail going nuts....the butler stops talking , the dog not playing fetch and DLC noting working any changes in that?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (705 customer reviews)

$14.99 $9.99