5.0 out of 5 stars If you have the required PC specifications, this is amazing, October 28, 2010
This review is from: Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle (BINTSSHU) (Camera)
I read every review here before buying, and to be honest, you almost dissuaded me from my purchase. I figured that I would give it a shot. I spoke with Black Magic for a total of a few hours as well. They told me that I would need a 4 drive RAID 0 array to capture uncompressed HD, though I'm getting by just fine with a 3 drive array. Even then, I'm finding myself capturing in compressed anyways because uncompressed 720p from my Xbox 360 takes about 8GB per minute, where compressed is closer to 500MB per minute, and the quality is still rather good, though not as good. Once I got everything set up and configured correctly, it has been making very high quality videos. One gotcha that I found was that if you don't have the 360 configured to output in the exact same way that you have the Black Magic software configured, then you'll just get a black screen, but if it's all set up correctly, you'll be good to go. I'm using a non-supported motherboard in the family of supported ones. I think it supports the GIGABYTE UD5 and I'm using the UD3 with no problems. My biggest advice for people thinking about purchasing this device is to do your homework and make sure that you have the necessary PC hardware before spending the money. Call Black Magic too...they will tell you if your system is not going to work. I'm loving it so far.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2011 7:20:14 PM PST
H. H. Kuo says:
I couldn't agree with you more. I also went for the Intensity Shuttle, despite of all the negative reviews. It IS an amazing piece of hardware. I also do not have the tested motherboard, and it is ASUS P6T Deluxe v2. After installing the U3S6 addon card from ASUS and set the remaining PCIe to 8x / 8x bandwidth. Everything went smoothly. If you wish not to see a blank screen when connected to a XBOX 360, set 720p resolution for the console, and 720p and 59.94fps for the software. Happy recording! By the way, Blackmagic customer service is excellent, and they answered all my questions before purchase. Big thanks to them.

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 2:06:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2011 2:16:36 PM PDT
Lmm says:
I would like to expand on the comments, "I also went for the Intensity Shuttle, despite of all the negative reviews."

Readers: Purchase at-your-own risk!

Jay, this is good review of your personal experience with using the Shuttle device. H.H.Kuo commented as well about your review and about his/her experience being positive.

The `KEY' to this review and comments, I would like to point out to ALL readers of this review, is that YOU MUST HAVE THE HARDWARE TO SUPPORT THIS DEVICE!!! This means possibly purchasing additional hardware to do so. (e.g. New Motherboard)

As time goes on MORE AND MORE people might have good LUCK around devices like this one because they are purchasing *NEW PC's to replace their old ones that have the hardware to support it. My Review was given when I purchased this device in July, 2010 when USB 3.0 was brand new and I had a quad core PC (before the Intel I7) with USB 3.0 add-on cards in my x8 PCIe card slot. BlackMagic said "It will work with your existing PC." Not so much.

Jay pointed out that you had already purchased a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 - USB 3.0 Motherboard which already has USB 3.0 installed (http://goo.gl/HVxTQ). H.H.Kuo has an Intel Core I7 motherboard and an add-on card for USB 3.0. Kuo's experience with the add-on is almost based on PURE LUCK. The odd's are against most other consumers.

The reason I gave this device such a HORRIBLE review is because it is MARKETED as a consumer-grade device. The ideal/norm start-up costs for consumer grade devices are normally $0 after purchasing a device. (You normally already have a computer)

It is disrepectful and irresponsible to market a device as inexpensive-consumer grade for possible start-up companies or individuals who want to do their own cheap video production.

The proof is in the pudding: BlackMagic is at the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) show this year because this show is for PROFESSIONALS only. Where the cheapest device is like $1500 for pre/post video production. http://goo.gl/tBXDe.

Either way, I am glad SOMEONE got this device to work, but I strongly recommend readers of this review truly question the ability to get this to work on a machine that is not 1 year or newer (costing over $1000) (x58 chip).

I hope this helps BlackMagic change their internal processes, especially around QA, in order to NEXT time come out with a device that truly is a "consumer priced device with professional grade quality." (possible something with USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt Tech?) Also FIX YOUR SUPPORT! BlackMagic's support for consumer grade devices is horrible and can be worse than cell phone company support.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 2:16:44 PM PDT
Jay Johnston says:
Thanks Lmm,
I'm recording in 720p compressed and having no problems. I am recording mostly from the Xbox360 and samples can be seen on my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/JayLJohnston

Most videos default to 360p, so you need to manually set it to show in 720p.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 12:50:31 AM PDT
Kevin says:
Can you use this to play XBOX360 games on your computer without capturing? (Pretty much just use the computer screen as a TV)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 10:19:51 PM PDT
I achally bought one your right it is awesome I wrote 1 star for it because you need allot of stuff for it but you u got everything its just awesome

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 2:27:22 PM PDT
C. Dillard says:
This is totally an assumption but in the past I had problems with a slight delay. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to play something fast paced.

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 2:54:41 PM PST
i have a laptop possessing the following features:
usb 3.0 port, nvidia GeForce GT750M 2GB graphics card, 1tb 5400RPM hybrid HDD, 24GB SSD, intel i7 4th gen processor running @ 2.2Ghz, 17.3" display,
8GB DDR3 memory.
I'd like to know if my laptop will support Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0. if so, can i switch from 1 input to another without having any noticeable delay in recording & playback?
if there's any delay, how much is it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›