Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer BEWARE, December 10, 2010
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year - PC (Video Game)
What a way to ruin a great game.

The DLC add-on content, which is really the only reason to buy this version of the game, is NOT included on the disc. Please note: You get a 1 time download of the content, then the codes become invalid! If your computer crashes, you have install problems, want to install on a different computer, or for any reason at all you need to re-install the DLC content, you're out of luck!

I quote "These codes will become invalid after use...A new code cannot be provided, nor can data be guaranteed or restored in the event of a failed unlock or the loss of data due to a hardware malfunction."

*****
EDIT 05/19/2012

I has been some time since my original review. I never did install the DLC's (scarcity effect), although I did try to activate unsuccessfully through steam (apparently my code predates Steam/2kgames cooperation). Anyway, someday I may use my 1 use download because this is an awesome game.

I decided to give the game 2 stars (instead of 1) because some people are able to activate through steam.

As far as fun goes, 5 stars! This is a kick butt shooter/rpg with lots of replayability. I re-installed the game after finishing it over a year ago and find myself enjoying it nearly as much the 2nd time around. I have a character build for each of the 4 different available classes and find myself re-experimenting with their different playing styles.

Given its new price point under 15 dollars, I'd say its a great deal. Given that I paid a lot more and get 1 download of the dlc's, my rating of 2 stars stands.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2010 7:15:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2010 7:27:45 PM PST
n8.Mills says:
Steam offers this game and provides unlimited download access to games you own. It's not as cheap right now, but it's clearly a better way to go, and since Steam offers discounts pretty frequently it will cost certainly get discounted at some point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 5:59:52 PM PST
JD says:
"HAIL DEMOCRACY, LET ALL THE 18 YEAR OLD MONGOLOIDS VOTE!!!" - N. Mills

Unfortunately, this kind of response adds nothing to the review except to prove you don't understand the point. Congratulations on your articulation.

When I purchase a game, I expect to be able to use it when and where I desire. To advertise the complete game and place restrictions on its use in very fine print or buried in a EULA, is deceptive.

If I go see a movie in a theater, I expect to be able to watch it 1 time. If I buy that same movie on DVD and bring it home, I expect to be able to watch it whenever and wherever I want as long as I have the DVD in my possession. Why do software companies think it is okay to do differently?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 1:26:49 AM PST
Game of the year editions have, until recently, included the Game add-ons (on a disk). Now they just repackage the original game with download codes. Believe it or not, some people dont have internet access and have no way to download the extra content. What is the point of buying this if the DLC isnt on a disk?
It's a shame they are doing it this way since Boarderlands is such an awsome game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 10:57:10 AM PST
Redwaltz says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 5:59:27 PM PST
deoren says:
"As far as I know there are no DRM requirements for reading books."

Unfortunately, the ebooks for the mass market are encumbered with DRM. Since digital downloads are the way everything (within reason) is going, the issue of DRM will continue to be debated for a while.

"since it doesn't directly affect the gameplay"

Unfortunately it does. I recently read that the DRM on Starpoint Gemini was causing some odd crashes

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 8:14:13 PM PST
n8.Mills says:
If DRM were not detrimental it wouldn't be a problem. The point is that DRM is usually an encumbrance of some kind and in some cases a major hassle for honest customers. It's a necessity, but it doesn't have to be so clumsy and ham-fisted like Sony's rootkit DRM.

I buy a lot of stuff through Steam and haven't encountered problems, so it can be done right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 10:51:58 AM PST
Media Man says:
Thanks for calling this DLC issue out. I had it in my cart and was just getting ready to purchase this GotY version for the last two DLCs. I already own retail copies of the original and the first two expansions. If there aren't even physical copies of the DLC on the disc it's pointless. I'm not paying for a one time download. I already screwed myself by buying them on Steam and found out afterwards Steam DLC for Borderlands isn't compatible with retail versions of the game, only the Steam version. There's $20 wasted. Therefore I refuse to waste another $29.99 for two one time DLCs.

Does anyone know if when you buy the DLC from the Gearbox site you can download it more than once?

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 8:23:55 PM PST
J. Schwarz says:
These companies have to be joking. No way will I ever buy this game and that includes it running on Steam. Is playing a game so important that you have to sell your soul to the company man? Don't buy anything from these companies including Steam and see how fast they change their minds about this nonsense. If nobody buys it is either change or they go out of business. I can always play a different game that is more pro gamer, but can they find another job as quickly? I don't think so. They treat me poorly, I don't buy their games. So who will suffer? There are plenty of ways to be entertained like reading a book. Duh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 11:35:23 PM PST
n8.Mills says:
I happen to like Steam. I can input keycodes that come with the game and I can re-download at any point.

I say get used to it, people deserve to get paid for making games, and this is just a legit way to combat piracy. The only problem I see here is that the different distribution systems are working together because there's no standard, so if you buy from one vendor it's not as good as buying from the next.

But Steam DOES give you keycodes. Plus, the deals they offer sometimes are crazy good, way better than the deal you see here. At the time I bought it on Steam the price was way better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 4:28:43 AM PST
Media Man says:
In this case however retail versions of Borderlands are NOT compatible with the version Steam sells. The whole argument is stemming from the DLC as it is. The fact of the matter is the majority of the people who would like the DLC already own a copy of the original copy of Borderlands in some form or another (retail, D2D etc.), making it a huge miss and frustration for everyone, myself included.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›