5.0 out of 5 stars Only difference is the sole, April 17, 2011
This review is from: Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Desert Boots (Shoes)
The only difference between this and the standard Clark's Desert boot is the slight difference in the choice of colors and the fact that this has a synthetic sole (and a very durable one) rather than the natural crepe sole. I sprayed waterproofing silicone on it before the winter (the dirtiest, messiest NYC winter in my 50-year memory), and this did not change the color at all, but at the end of the winter the boots were completely unscathed by the snow and ice the city failed to clear (little kids were trying to help the city's snow-plows!). No slipping or sliding, no water ever touched my socks, my feet were warmer than one would expect, and they cleaned off easily. The laces started giving out after all that heavy use, but for $2 they're easily replaced.
The other on-line shoe place has all the models, and I have 2 of those other Clark's Desert Boots as well.
If it's a Clark's Desert Boot, I'd say you can't go wrong.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2012 8:39:26 AM PST
Emin Kuliyev says:
Thanks for being so informative, but how did you make that suede impermeable to the snow? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 6:31:54 PM PST
The reviewer mentioned a silicon spray: "I sprayed waterproofing silicone on it before the winter."

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:56:58 AM PDT
Natty says:
Great review, I was thinking about getting the beeswax leather instead of the suede, because it gets scuffed up so easily. what brand of spray did you use?. It worked for the waterproofing but what about scuffs?. I want to get the black suede and that messes up right away.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 1:21:38 PM PDT
I forget which spray-on silicone I used, but I used quite a bit. The suede seems to just soak it up without changing color. Don't know how. Maybe the silicone, maybe the quality of the Clark's suede? All I know is the snow doesn't go through, when it melts it just drips off, and rain bounces off also. Maybe it's the brand of silicone spray. (Large can, bright orange top -- sprays a lot so you have to be careful when pressing.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 1:28:39 PM PDT
Yes, I used a silicone spray in a large can with a bright orange top. Waterguard by Sno-Seal, I think. It puts out a rather thicker spray than the more expensive Meltonian (an excellent brand, by the way), so you have to be careful. But it works really well. Generally, I'd be cautious about silicone sprays on suede, but I used this on both these Clarks and the regular (not Bushacre) sand colored desert boots, and saw no color change. Personally, I think it's just the quality of Clarks suede and construction, but I'm no expert. I just know what I wear and the results. Let's face it: shoes + NYC snow/slush = mess and dirt and salt stains. But this combination has worked very, very, very well for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 1:36:29 PM PDT
I got the beeswax leather also and love them. Used a silicone cream on those. On the bushacre desert boots and the standard ones (both sand color or close) I used a silicone spray in a large can with a bright orange top. Waterguard by Sno-Seal. It puts out a pretty thick spray so you have to be careful. But it works really well. Would have used Meltonian but that's much more expensive (but really good). Don't know why it works so well on these, but I'd guess the quality of Clarks suede. As for scuffing, I have no idea how to avoid that - that's a tough one for me, and silicone only protects from water and most dirt (although here in NYC you'll sometimes come across mutant dirt that will stain almost anything -- gotta call in the organic chemists for that stuff).

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 1:54:56 PM PST
Danny Lin says:
where can i get a replacement for the laces? thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 2:16:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 2:18:24 PM PST
Excellent question! Only place I tried was the shoe maker down the block from me, who had a number in stock that were actually a bit thicker and more durable than the originals, which were wearing thin after a season. So I bought 2 or 3 pair. Wish I'd bought more, for these and my other Clark's desert boots. But the neighborhood is changing, he couldn't afford the quadrupled rent and all that stuff got carted away as trash in favor of an upscale NYC coffee shop in favor of something useful. So, unfortunately, I'd say shop around and don't be afraid to just hold off till you get what you want. Clarks direct on line might be OK also. Maybe Resole America, a place that resoles any shoe to its original condition, will have a lead on good laces, being in the shoe upkeep business. Hope that helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,968 customer reviews)
 (1,176)