5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate serious photographer's point & shoot, September 5, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - Black (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
Wow, I am so impressed by this camera! I am a professional photographer and have been searching for a quality point & shoot for casual use when I don't want to lug around my DSLR (Nikon D700 at the moment) but have never been happy with the compromises of a P&S. Some of the features that were most important to me for a P&S were:

- RAW files - LX5 can shoot RAW files to allow changing WB and giving maximum flexibility in editing images in my preferred RAW converter, Lightroom 3.
- Fast glass - f/2 lens!! Even at 90mm, it is still f/3.3!
- Wide-angle - 24mm (35mm equivalent) is awesome, the Canon S90 only goes to 28mm and most P&S no wider than 35mm.
- Decent zoom range - I wasn't interested in a 10x superzoom but wanted something at least to 70 or 80 mm. The zoom range of 24mm to 90mm is just perfect without compromising the quality and speed of the lens.
- Reasonable compactness - it is fairly compact without feeling like I'm handling a bar of soap. It handles well for a P&S and feels like a real quality piece of equipment. The controls are logically placed with controls for the most commonly used adjustments within easy and quick access. Not as pocketable as most compact P&S cameras, but has the best handling of a P&S I've ever used.
- Low light sensitivity - I almost never shoot with the on-camera flash, so low light sensitivity is really important to me. I've shot images up to ISO 1000 that clean up quite well in LR3. I even feel that ISO 1600 is usable in a pinch if you aren't going to blow it up too large.
- Manual controls - I love that I can set everything manually: aperture, shutter speed, ISO and the controls make it quick and easy to do so without digging into the menus.
- Sharp, high quality images - I have been blown away by the quality of the lens on the LX5. I've taken shots wide open at f/2 and was very surprised at the quality, and sharpness of the images. They seriously rival images from my DSLR with some of my pro f/2.8 lenses.

Some other things to note:
- Has effective image stabilization. I've taken sharp photos at 1/10 sec.
- Shoots 720p video in AVCHD
- Has hotshoe to attach an electronic viewfinder, flash, or radio trigger (like a Pocket Wizard)
- Has a small pop-up flash
- Has a removable lens cap that many complained about on the LX3. I actually don't mind since I am used to having to remove it with my DSLRs.
- Can shoot in a number of different aspect ratios: square, 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9
- Can quickly go from play (review) mode to shooting mode with a quick tap of the shutter release button
- Can add filters and lens converters with an adapter
- All metal body - it feels really nice in the hand

One thing I really wish it had was some way to remotely trigger the camera. There is no infrared shutter release or a manual shutter release available for it. It does have the usual timer mode.

I considered a micro 4/3 camera such as a Panasonic GF1 or Olympus EP2 but the size with the lens approaches that of the smaller DSLRs. I bought a Canon S90 but returned it because the handling was just terrible. It was too small, had no hand grip and had a finnicky dial. Also, the image quality and sharpness were not nearly as good as the LX5. I've only briefly borrowed a friend's LX3 but I didn't use it enough to provide a comparison besides looking at the specs and reading the reviews.

Overall, I highly recommend the LX5 if you are in the market for a serious photographer's P&S camera. No, it won't replace a DSLR if you need the ultimate image quality and speed, but within the context of a P&S, it fits the bill nearly perfectly for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2010 7:31:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 7, 2010 4:06:41 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 10:43:11 AM PDT
Photo guy says:
Thanks. There are lots of wireless solutions to remotely trigger flashes (Pocketwizards, Cactus, Elinchrom Skyport, Alien Bees, etc.) but I was looking for a solution to minimize camera shake when triggering the camera when it is on a tripod. I did see that Richard Franiec sells a mechanical cable release adapter for the LX3 that may work with the LX5: http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_lx3

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 11:17:13 AM PDT
J. mcnalley says:
A tethering option or even an internal intervalometer would have been a very nice addition. I've been extremely happy with my LX3. Since I mostly shoot at the wide end, it doesn't look like there is enough for me to upgrade to the LX5.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 3:39:28 PM PDT
A. Jeng says:
Do you need to buy an adapter to screw on a protective VU filter or Polarizer filter? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 3:55:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2010 3:55:31 PM PDT
Photo guy says:
Yes, I believe you need the following DMW-LA6 lens adapter to use filters and conversion lenses:

Panasonic DMW-LA6 Conversion Lens Adapter

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 5:49:01 PM PDT
A. Jeng says:
Thanks, Photo guy. I think you are correct!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 8:01:30 PM PDT
A. Jeng says:
Photo guy, I can't believe an Amazon seller is selling this adapter for $49.50 + $34.44 for shipping! Where else can we get this? eBay does not have it either.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2010 7:49:00 PM PDT
C says:
Some people (Ken Rockwell, professional photographer since 1970s, kind of a Nikon guy) hold their filters in front of the cameras on compacts (e.g. his Canon S90). Results are still excellent.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 11:51:12 AM PDT
Meerz says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 11:55:36 AM PDT
Photo guy says:
Meerz, framing is done on the LCD (which I think is what you are calling live view), like most P&S cameras or by using the external viewfinder accessory.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›