5.0 out of 5 stars State of the Art, March 2, 2008
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R1900 Large Format Photo Printer (C11C698201) (Office Product)
I'll start with a short review since I just got the printer and have only run 5 prints through it. I will update in a week or so with more information.

Setup and installation was easy. I have it on my network for my Windows machines and it is connected directly to my Mac Pro. The install documentation said to get the latest driver for Leopard off of their site, which I did and installed with no problem. The latest Windows driver was on the installation CD.

The reason I called this review "State of the Art" is Epson developed Radiance, the new color-matching technology built into the R1900. This is the first printer with it, even the current Epson Pro printers don't have it. [...] has an article about it.

The few pictures I have printed are beautiful and they printed very fast.

I printed 3 on Epson's Ultra Premium luster 8.5 x 11 paper using Photoshop CS2. I tried different settings for each print of the same standard color matching target. All three printed very nice and as expected, a little different. Using "Photoshop Determines Colors", "Printer Determines Colors" and "No Color Management", with appropriate settings on the printer driver. So it will be up to you to decide which settings you want to use.

Next, as a test I printed a photo, of my daughter, on plain HP Bright White paper. WOW, is all I can say. Plain paper and it looked great.

For my last test I picked a random paper size, 12" x 12", that I cut from a 13" x 19" sheet of matte paper. I changed the paper size in the driver and printed. No problem, it printed just fine and also was beautiful.

I plan on getting a roll of paper too. I've wanted to print some banners, something I couldn't do with my current Canon I9900.

So far it is everything I expected it to be. However, I do plan on keeping the I9900 because sometimes I know I will want a dye (not pigment) print (and I still have Canon ink and paper left).

I will post more soon.

Update 3-10-08:

I have been playing with the settings on the driver to see which I like best. It is a good/bad thing that there are so many settings to play with. I figure I will eventually figure out which I like best. There are subtle differences in color, skin tones and gray scales on the gray scales. If you are interested in the test targets, you can download the printer test images I used from [...]

I will start printing some of my real pictures to compare with the I9900 versions. So I will post another update in a week or two.

I tried a roll in the printer. It was surprising easy to set up and use. You put the holders on the roll, mount it on the back of the printer, then feed the paper into the printer in the slot on the back. The printer recognizes you are doing it, then grabs the paper to feed in to the proper starring point.

If you print multiple images, the printer spaces them 1" apart. Unfortunately, Epson still has it's artificial limit length of 44". There are expensive RIPs (raster image processors) that will allow you to printer longer images, but unless you are going to do this a lot, it can't be worth it. The cheapest I found is $500.

I've decided that I probably will not use the "roll" on the printer. I want to printer banners every so often, but to use the roll for one print wastes about 10" of paper. That is the initial feed of about 4" and when you cut it on the back to free it, another 6". If you are printing many prints on a roll, then it will be worth it and easier. I suggest (and what I did in my second test), was just cut a 44" of paper (from the roll) and feed it though the (normal) auto paper feeder and that worked fine for the banner without any waste.

As for ink usage, I've hardly made a dent with the 10 8x10s, 1 12x12, 3 8.5 x 44 prints I've made. The banners were not printed at high resolution to save ink for my testing. I love Amazon, but it's ink prices for this printer are currently way out of line. Even the Epson store has them for way less. I hope that changes soon.

Update 3-26-08 (my last update).
After printing 25 more 8x10 high resolution (and in slow mode for better quality), I finally ran out of ink in one cartridge (and it was the gloss optimizer). After more reading, I think I used the wrong setting for the gloss and was wasting it on white area outside of the image. I'm still learning.

Some of the other inks are pretty low, so I have stocked up.

I still have not printed on a DVD/CD yet, but I'm sure that will be fine.

There is not much more for me to say except I am very happy with this purchase and expect to use this printer for the next 3-4 years, when I'm sure something else out there will get my attention.

Update 3-22-11
Epson just announced the R3000. By the specs, it looks to be the replacement for the R1900. The list price of the R3000 is $850 but the R3000 comes with and uses the Epson UltraChrome K3 ink set, which are the larger inks that cost $40-$50, but are 8x larger than the R1900 inks, which meant to me when I got the R3880 (that use the same ink), that the savings in ink will pay for the printer over the R1900.

Howard

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2008 10:02:08 AM PST
donebylee says:
I am seriously considering this printer as a replacement for a dead HP Designjet 10ps. I do digital artwork, not photography, and am primarily interested in its art and roll paper capabilities, in addition to the archival ink qualities.

I hope you get a chance to post soon about your experiences with the manual roll paper capability.

Thanks for all the good info and feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 10:18:05 AM PDT
Thanks for the thorough review. It helped in me deciding my next printer!

Posted on May 22, 2008 10:56:26 AM PDT
flash gordon says:
The June issue of Popular Photography had a wonder review of R1900. It essentially stated that this is the best for your money printer, including some more expensive Epson ones. I plan to get it from B&H for about $475 with full warranty.

Posted on May 26, 2008 10:21:35 AM PDT
Starlight says:
I really appreciate this detailed and updated review. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out here in cyberland. I appreciate Flash Gordon's info too. Amazon is a great source of information - besides a good product purchasing source. I am in the process of deciding which Epson to buy for my photography prints. This has helped so much.

Posted on Jun 22, 2008 2:43:04 AM PDT
devcon says:
Thank you for the in depth review and follow up. It's nice to read reviews from people who have done more than print one picture and who actually take some time to set them up to get the maximum potential from a printer. To many people buy pro/semi-professional printers and think you can plug them in and get pro quality prints out of the box. Sounds like it's time to upgrade from my HP to the 1900.

Posted on Sep 14, 2008 9:41:44 AM PDT
I am considering the 1900 for purchase. Question: Are the inks water resistant if printed on Epson regular presentation paper? I do a lot of decoupage and am wondering if the ink will be colorfast (ie, wont run or smear) when I put the decoupage medium on the paper.

Posted on Dec 2, 2008 1:01:27 PM PST
A Reader says:
Wow! What a thorough review! Thanks for all the attention to detail, updates, etc. Very helpful. Really makes online shopping less risky.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 9:07:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2010 9:11:32 AM PST
S. Lin says:
The print quality of this printer is perhaps good but the quality and operation aspect of this printer is very poor. I have just used a brand new printer of R1900. After printing a few panoramic pictures with roll paper, it comes into a fit of "General error: delete all print jobs and turn the printer off. Remove any foreign objects from inside the printer. After a few minutes, turn the printer back on." There is nothing what so ever foreign inside the printer. After a few trials, all my inks (on average more than 75% full) are gone and I am keeping replacing ink cartridges - even including the mat black that I have never used. Each time when the printer is turned on, it goes through this cycle of cleaning and checking "spilling" inks like no tomorrow. So it costs me close to $100 just for the inks without even come close to resolve the problem. This is a terribly engineered printer as far as the operation concerns.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 4:19:53 AM PST
Bklynfavors says:
Thank you very much for the indept reveiw of this printer. I need a replacement and I was looking at this printer for a while. I think I will give it a go. Thanks again.

Bklynfavors Party & Print

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 5:44:17 AM PST
Howard W. says:
Thanks for the kind words.
You do realize that this printer is no longer "state of the art".. The model is 2.5 years old, as of now.
It is still a wonderful printer and I still use it, but it is no longer my primary printer, I have a 3880 too.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (122 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $380.00