Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it costs money to import the old songs from rocksmith 1., November 10, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rocksmith 2014 Edition - No Cable Included for Rocksmith Owners (Video Game)
Some people seem to lack a simple understanding. That is that when a publisher makes songs available for two games the band gets a fee for both games. So yes, sadly it is $9.99 to import the 55 songs over to your new game. But all dlc is free! That being said it means your old game you can then trade in for $10 and that means this is basically free. To lower the game score because of this is petty and silly. It also makes little to no sense to me.

Ok now on to the actual game here. I have been playing for 20 years and I am a self confessed guitar junkie who learns every song like it is friggin Mozart. I love music and playing it is something so few people do and do well it is pure joy to have this as a game. The first game blew my socks off and I scored the maximum points when I hit 100,000,000. I however will say that as far as knowing the songs outside of the game, I can't remember the first game songs at all. Even the ones I master moded I just blank out for some reason. The songs I liked and played forty times or more I knew. But the ones I was forced through I just hated them and forgot them almost immediately.

Now on to rating the game. Which I gave five stars and I will tell you why. First there are always bad things on a game so let's start there because my list is meager and small as it should be.

The bad things that upset me.
-no gigs! No more gigging or actual career mode where you can see the venue you are playing at. Even your view of the venue is so blocked by the amps and blur that you don't see the crowd or what venue it is. That was kind of fun and was a little bit of a bummer to not have songs set up automatically. But then I thought about a key thing. Did this teach me how to play the songs better that way or is it better now? Only one way to tell. Let's get to playing.

-No real career. You will notice you have no actual career progression here. This is a total teaching tool. You won't find anything more than an announcer telling you about how you did after the song.

-a tuner that confuses you. Oh my goodness it is weird when you first tune up and it doesn't make it easy to understand what you're doing. I actually bought new strings and popped my big e because I didn't get the tuning. It was very weird at first but I get the tuner now. They don't really go over the tuner much even though it is brand new and very different. I finally get the tuner now and it is fine but it took awhile.

-Custom creating of your sound. The first game the amp sound never changes. So if you had a custom sound it lasted the whole song. Now is very different. You never and I mean never have one sound the whole song and you can't change this before you begin playing. So if you say want to play two separate sounds you have to hit the stick mid song or shout at the kinect (a tool which is used incredibly on this game). So this is tough because there is no quick fix or easy way to handle this. For the first game I just used my awesome custom sound and blew through songs just on one tone. But with tone switching it is near impossible for this to be possible.

-they have genuine equipment but they don't show the real amps during songs? I think I got this after thinking it through. Not every band is sponsored by say Marshall or Orange amps. So using generic looking rocksmith amps makes sense now that I think about it. But it was kind of a bummer not to see a custom Marshall during say "Pour Some Sugar on Me". This became again not a big deal once I played a little more.

-some of the lead guitar parts are still wrong. I mean it usually isn't a huge deal. But sometimes they have you ride a high e for the chorus of pour some sugar on me or something that you know the lead player didn't do except maybe on the album. Which is meaningless if live they don't do this. I mean really I hate to nit pick but it is sad to know that I am not playing the song how it should be played live. A couple other songs just have you playing things a harder way than what you need to. You don't need to play cult of personality like that on the verses and panic switch doesn't have him switching strings or doing that weird solo live. I know. I watched them play these songs!

No more unlockable pedals and guitars. Yeah they thought to just eliminate these and make it just amps and such.

-the song list once you get past what you know. Some of the new bands maybe people like. I mean new music is what makes music great. But the bands chosen here are awful for the most part after the good bands. But there are a lot of good bands and it doesn't kill the game.

And that's really it for negatives and that may seem like enough to have you just go over to another game or just stick to tabs online. But let me to over the good stuff before you get bothered by it and let me tell you why my calloused fingers are proof enough of how good this is. Let me first correct my negatives.

Fake gigging did not help me learn the songs at all. I was merely trying to score enough points to get past a song and then I totally forgot the songs and they wouldn't come up again after about five plays. Now they give you a different way of learning and it is pretty addictive and pretty cool. You now are given a percentage score based on your performance. Now you set the difficulty each time on the song. You decide if you want to see a whole solo or not right away and try it. Which is great since sometimes the first game would not allow you to level up enough to see the notes and you were clueless how to play certain parts correctly and you got the kids version of how to play songs. I suddenly began forgetting gigging and it became all about could I 100% these damn songs! Now pushing me to finish these songs off or raise my mastery on them were the little mission statements. Like get to level 6 on ducks redux. Or try and get 76.85% mastery on round and round. These were never ridiculous and usually came with a reward. Maybe a new amp skin or a fretboard inlay like prince of persia's prince jumping across the frets or other little carrots to keep you going. They seem silly when you say them but they really push you and you keep playing to see what unlocks next!

So learning a song is now all about how hard you WANT it to be and not what they dictate. If you want to just shove the song to full difficulty and keep seeing if you can do it. Then have at it like me!!!

The riff repeater is now right in the song. Which means if you get baffled on a part of the solo or a breakdown? You stop the song and say hold it, hold it. Let me go back and see what the fingering is again. Oh and speaking of how the fingers should be. Well you actually see your position on every note on what finger to play. If there is a weird or whacky chord shape. They show you now! You know how the real person played it.

Kinect! Finally a use for this bounce around garbage. Shouting the next song is kind of like telling your band what to play next. It means my controller stops being used after initial launch of the game and never touched again till I leave. It is a little touch that makes the 360 version a little better.

Unlocking pedals and guitars was great but was it really that great? No, and it never added anything other than something to look at. You didn't sit and say hey you know I unlocked the Gibson special and t plays like a dream. Why? Because they all sound the same on the first game anyway. You never had the nuance of each little guitar. They aren't some awesome unlockable. Now the pedals were a little fun for me. I would use them but having them not unlock and just be there from the start is really not worth crying over is it?

What makes this a five star game for an old head that has played for 15 years or longer? Because you can actually teach an old dog new tricks. My hand speed is better, my picking is better. My playing is more precise and better! This is really a matter of rededication for me on my guitar. I lost touch with it. My interest was still there but my push to get better ended. I was playing the same stuff and if it was a chord I didn't know or was too hard I didn't play it. I now am ready to rejoin a cover band and list these songs as ones I could play with a band. It really is a lot of fun. Did I mention how much better the games are? There were maybe two or three decent games before. Now, they all amuse me and only the finger destroying temple of bends and the ever difficult scale runner seem rough to try and play.

So I can't speak as a new player. But if I was 16 again. I would beg and I mean beg my parents for this game. It is that incredible. Also this is the price of maybe 3 guitar lessons so tell that to mom and dad or think about it when you talk about it being $60 or $80 with the cable. It is worth your time and money. I love it and I played the last game a year. Maybe this one will last even longer or until a new one comes I a couple years or so!

Love it guys and girls. I just love this game even with its flaws.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]