4.0 out of 5 stars Daily Beater rating: 5, March 17, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's WS220-1A "Tough Solar" Digital Sport Watch (Watch)
The watch came charged up. On the first day I ran it down to 'M'. The following Saturday I let it charge in full direct sun for 8+ hours. Since, even with moderate/heavy daily use, the watch has never went below 'H'. One day a week I place it in the window (often on overcast days) to charge... that's it, so the solar seems to work great. I do keep the energy saver on and the light on '1 sec' however.

Most people think it's a G-Shock from the appearance.

Initially I was attracted to this watch because of the dual countdown timers. I was disappointed you cannot have them run simultaneously, only alternating. This is great at the gym, though. I didn't think much of the large stopwatch memory, but now I love it! Each sequence uses mutiple memory slots (a date/time slot, and another for each lap) but with 120 available it doesn't matter. I wish it were possible to turn off the 'best' lap feature because sometimes I consider the longest time 'best'. The manual is thick thick but the watch is pretty easy to use and all the alarms are easy to set/change.

The backlight is weak, not the blue vibrant electro-luminescent of casio or timex indiglo. There is a tiny yellow diode in the bottom left near the 'T' in the word SELECT. It gets the job done. It doesn't really bother me except I may have gotten the 'gold' model WS220-9AV instead had I paid closer attention.

The watch beeps nicely. I can navigate to any mode by listening to the sound of the beeps. Press until high pitched beep (standard time mode) +3 regular beeps = countdown timer, for example.

The alarm is not super loud. The sound would be lost driving on the highway, but not around town streets.

The band is good, does not pull hair. I trimmed 4mm off and it still looks great. Some would prefer a metal buckle. I would not.

At times I wear heavy gloves at work. I can press all 5 buttons fine.

Several times I have forgotten to take it off before showering/swimming. No issues with underwater button presses in my experience. I trust the seals so far.

My biggest gripe is the "crystal". It's just acrylic. Nowhere near sapphire or even hardlex. If an eyelash drops on it a light feature line will appear. Collect'em, buff'em out, collect some more. The letters 'tough solar' and 'illuminator' will probably wear off at some point.

Lost ~4 seconds over 3 months.

If the watch is pointed beyond the bill of my hat I see 88:88. 30 degrees?

The current time is viewable in all modes besides REC (recall memory).

The "running man" icon is animated.

I will never enjoy this watch as much as my mechanicals, but for the $36 price tag as a daily driver it is very enjoyable. I expect 10+ years of service easily, unless we run out of sun.

If you enjoy watches that "do many things" this piece will probably satisfy.

4/5 but probably closer to 5 if you consider value.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 4:08:30 PM PST
S. A. BAKER says:
Sorry to bother you here, but I honestly can't find any info on this anywhere - you mentioned the WS220-9AV Gold model in your (excellent) review, with regard to the light - is the illumination on the gold version better? I would purchase this item if this is the case, thanks for any help you can offer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 5:25:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2013 5:26:12 PM PDT
Chuck Barr says:
Sorry for the late response. I did not mean to infer that the other model had an improved backlight- but that the diode would match the "retro" gold accent of the "-9AV". Also, as of the date of this reply the "Tough Solar" & "Illuminator" are completely worn away from daily wear. Regardless, it is still enjoying use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 10:48:19 AM PDT
S. A. BAKER says:
Hey thanks for the update! very helpful. :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 2:36:17 PM PST
dima says:
Hi,
I need a watch that in addition to recording lap and split time would also record the timestamp on every press of the button(e.g. 2014/11/12 20:00:05)
I have looked at every digital watch out there, and could not find anything with this feature.
Can anyone suggest if there's a watch with a feature like this?

Here's the use case:
I play a game that's being recorded.
The recording has a running timestamp.
Every time a goal is scored, I would like to be able to push that button, and later easily find all these moments on the video for reviewing.
Lap and split times don't help in this case.

Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (160 customer reviews)

$49.95 $32.93