Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Motion Sickness Warning, December 6, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Disney Epic Mickey - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I've been looking forward to this game quite a bit, but was very disappointed by the camera. It causes game play issues as many have noted, but it also is really bad for those of us with motion sickness.

The camera doesn't move smoothly, and often requires manual movement with the D-Pad. Either of these issues would be enough to make me ill. Both together were far more than my body could handle. I was deeply ill with nausea in a very short time of playing, and unfortunately I won't be able to play this Epic adventure that I've looked forward to so much.

Notably I haven't had any motion sickness with many games. Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Endless Ocean have all been great for me (to name a few...and they're all GREAT games!) However, this title didn't work for me to my sadness. Looking around the internet my plight isn't uncommon. I found several reviews suggesting that people with motion sickness should avoid this game, I was sorry I hadn't seen those reviews sooner and hope this review will be useful for others who deal with Motion Sickness.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2010 3:22:58 PM PST
Thanks for the warning. I had to give up on Halo after less than 10 minutes, and in that time all I'd manage to do was run into walls while.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 7:19:55 AM PST
anonymous1 says:
Thank you so very very much for your comment. I thought I was the only one out there with this issue. If you know of any other games that the motion is wonky, please list them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 9:53:36 AM PST
Sure thing! :)
I've really only had a problem with a few Wii games. Mickey (sadly), Wild Earth (which is pretty obscure), and the two Excite games (Trucks/Bots), though the Excite games are usually fine for me, I only avoid them on days where I'm already feeling a little queasy ;).

Sorry that other people have run into the motion sickness with Mickey, I really had looked forward to playing it, and I'm sure everyone who has the problem is disappointed not to be able to play.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 4:43:36 PM PST
Steve says:
Sadly, I have to add myself to the legions who get violently nauseous after playing this game, and I am not someone whom this happens to a lot, especially not with video games.

It's a shame too, because I would consider myself a huge fan and student of Disney animation history. I was loving the little "in jokes" throughout the game, and I really wanted to play through it. But I literally felt like vomiting after only a few minutes. I suppose the dystopian colors and music that are intended to give you a "queasy" feeling don't help.

So overall, I think this is a masterpiece of artwork and storyline, but the in-game mechanics could have been handled much better. Thanks for the great review.

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 7:31:33 AM PST
Lisa Vinson says:
For those of you who suffer from motion sickness while playing Epic Mickey, take a dramamine or some ginger pills and enjoy the game!

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 1:07:51 PM PST
J. Peplinski says:
I think that I just suck so bad at playing Epic Mickey that I can't get going anywhere fast enough to be get sick. No motion = no motion sickness.

Watching my husband play Bioshock on the Xbox made me extremely nauseated, but I was seriously hung over at the time.

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 7:14:21 AM PST
B. Monroe says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 7:43:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2010 7:48:27 AM PST
I can only review the game for myself and from my experience, and based on that experience I think it's a very fair review. For someone w/motion sickness the score is 0 stars, since they can't enjoy the game, but that seemed an unfair rating on a game I trully wanted to play. (and still want to!)

I really wish I could play more or take a pill to make that possible, but I can't :(. For those who don't have motion sickness I'd recommend checking out the game. Even with camera issues it looks like a lot of fun. My review is intended only as a helpful warning for people like ME who will be sadly disappointed by the game's camera triggering their motion sickness, thus making them unable to play the game.

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 12:00:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2010 12:01:35 PM PST
Thanks for this review! I have problems with the Mario Galaxy series after a few minutes so I guess this would definitely be a "no go" for me! Appreciate the review.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 10:25:48 PM PST
G Ninja says:
I keep a paper bag next to me just in case I need to hurl. But, you are right, they could have done a better job with the camera. I think that's what most people agree on being the main problem with this game.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›