5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek: The New Motion Picture (advanced screening), October 25, 2001
This review is from: Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I got the DVD about 4 hours ago. The second that I peeled all those security stickers off my DVD box, I popped it open, place the disc in my player, turned up the Dolby Digital, my super sub-woofer... my high density screen, shut down all light sources, put my PowerMac G4 to sleep, turned off my phones, and laid back for what I hoped would be a nice treat.
Paramount should be ashamed of themselves. This edit should be in theaters. This isn't a minor achievement in quality increase. This is now a great film. I am literally stunned right now.
It isn't a matter of effects, so much as it is about dynamics of motion... The tightening of scenes.... Little tweaks here and there.... An added scene here, a missing one here... Revealing more about the characters, keeping a character from being less than he should be.
First off, the Visual Effects shots are absolutely superior, while remaining exactly of the same palette as the original film. These new shots add a consistent sense of grandeur that Wise achieved so very well in some scenes, yet not at all in others. Now... Now the film is a sweeping science fiction epic... Man facing the unknown that comes from that place where no man has gone before.
The picture quality was gorgeous... the richness of the colors... Everything just gorgeous. The new sound... DEAR GOD, it was magnificent. The remix was handled to perfection and not bungled like those that were toying with SUPERMAN recently. From beginning to end there is a quality increase in the sound that never once falters to my ears on this great sound system of mine.
I'd like to tell you about the new visual effects shots, but to be honest... I can't. They are that seamlessly integrated. I'm sure that there were scenes of the Enterprise passing into the great V-GER ship that I had never seen, but they were intercut with old ones so well that all I got was an increased feeling of motion and dynamics of shots. The results were exactly what was needed.
Suddenly this film feels like it belongs in Trumbull and Dykstra's Filmography. It always was nice... but before it always felt like a travelogue, and not at all threatening and ominous and creepy and moody and scary and mysterious. That's right, these new shots actually ADD to the ATMOSPHERE.
For the first time in too long, I'm looking at not only real STAR TREK, but frankly... This is Star Trek where it should always be. Smart Science Fiction told by great Narrative Filmmakers and folks of vision.... Not the fumblings of visionless hucksters that have kidnapped the franchise since the death of Roddenberry.
I have yet to venture into the second DVD... The one loaded with deleted scenes, documentaries and the behind the scenes joys... That will be what I do tomorrow. For now I'm in the afterglow of watching perhaps the best STAR TREK movie and dealing with the realization that due to the lack of vision of cowardly executives, this final masterpiece of Robert Wise's will never be projected upon a Silver Screen as it so needs to be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2011 4:39:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2011 4:39:31 PM PDT
David Frost says:
It's quite rare that I read a review on this site that convinces me to buy something I've never seen before from a series I'm not even a fan of... yet.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 9:57:12 AM PST
MGseed says:
You took the words out of my mouth. The editing is so seamless you can't say what is different, but it was because I finally enjoyed this film as never before, and it earns a place along side of TWOK and First Contact as brilliant sci fi/action films.

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 8:38:52 AM PST
The one thing I would like to add as a fan my hope was the movie would respect the loyal fans. We just wanted more for years and finally got it. As a fan I wanted a new episode done with respect. The movie did not disappoint me. The long scene showing the Enterprise in space dock was perfect, and most of all the story line lived up to what I wanted,which was a movie length fresh episode. I'm in my 60's now but whenever its on tv i always watch it. One more thing is the sound track of ST3 with the long intro at the movie theater and ensuing sound track was some of the best.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›