1.0 out of 5 stars I'm a glutton for punishment...obviously, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels) (Hardcover)
So, here I am again. I swore I wouldn't read another Evanovich Plum Novel--after my last review of 17, I swore tooth and nail to my husband, my mom, and my blog readers that I wouldn't read it! So...I went to the library. I really just had to know if it was as bad as the previous one. After being teased that she might make a decision in 18, I let my small curiosity overshadow my intellect.

Remember back in the day of the early awesome plum books, where Stephanie felt BAD for kissing Ranger when she was dating Morelli? Remember back in the day where she swore she would never be like Joyce the whore? Remember? Well, it seems Stephanie has inhaled too many donuts, smoke fumes--from her cars always catching fire, and hair spray, because after she slept with Ranger and Morelli on back to back nights in 17, cementing her in my hoochie hall of fame; She is now sleeping with both men regularly in 18. How many times was it? 3 or so with Ranger? 2 or 3 with Morelli and then I'm sure her and Ranger had more sex in Hawaii than we were told. I mean, dudes--it's Ranger...and Hawaii. I would! Well, I would if I wasn't conflicted or dating another man, but hey, that's me. I have morals and scruples and a code of non-whorism.

I wish Joe had caught Steph having sex with Ranger in Hawaii. That would have been good. I also wish we got to see Joe and Ranger fight. That would have been panty melting too. But No.

Picturing Lula in all black with painted on pants and boob squish, does make me laugh. I did laugh a little. But it doesn't make up for the complete 180 degree turns every character in the Plum series has taken. Her mom is a lush, Steph is a whore, Ranger has no sack, Joe lost his possessive balls too, Lula still thinks too much about food, but she at least strives to be better...sometimes. When it's easier ;)

It seems that after 18 books, Ranger and Morelli have lost their balls. Huh. Who would have seen that one coming. Heh, I said coming. Did Stephanie here that? She probably is one of them right now, and while in the throes with whomever it is, is secretly wondering how long she has to wait to sleep with the other one so she doesn't seem tacky. Should she take a shower first? Nah. Why bother? She is just going to get sweaty again.

I jest. Sort of. I know, If I get so angry about the direction, why do I keep reading? I keep hoping things will change and they have! Finally, they have! Only for the worse. I remember thinking, why does she keep getting back with Joe? She should give Ranger a turn. Only, not this way. Why can't she have a relationship again? For a whole book, let her be with Ranger! Then at the end, have Joe tell Ranger to meet him at midnight, in the dark park, alone. with no guns. Only fists. YAY!

Pulease.

Janet Evanovich? What on earth are you doing to your characters? They have completely morphed into pod-people. They have been replaced with robots!

Lula got on my nerves. She reminded me of Boomer from ESPN with his "Whoops!" with her "Bams!"

So, once again we are left on a 'cliff' only this time? I am not falling! I am going to back away, gracefully from the edge, and bow down to the awesomeness that Stephanie used to be, and keep her alive in my memories.

I am getting off the crazy train. If I want to read cars getting blown up, her sneaky snarkness, and some hot glimpses of two actual men...I'll read the early plum books.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2011 5:44:06 PM PST
C. Rice says:
LOVED your review and agree with you 100%! Are you a fanfiction writer? If not, you should be!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 10:29:13 AM PST
Carole813 says:
great review!

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:32:52 AM PST
Carole813 says:
The only bright spot in this book, in my opinion, is the portrayal of Joyce Barnhart. I DID laugh out loud!

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:59:18 PM PST
MsB says:
I'm with you! I said on the last book Stephanie is now nothing but a whore. I don't know why Morellli and Ranger think shes all that, because nothing I can see is worth their time. Also why does she think she has a snow ball chance with Ranger? He has said how many times in 18 books has he said I'm not the marrying type. Not happening, but yet shes in love with him and Joe to. I want to shoot her myself so the story can move on! and sorry but if Lula ate as much as shes said to eat sorry but she would take up the WHOLE front seat and I'm not seeing heels under that size of a butt!

Where did the funny parts go is what I want to know. Come on the Humping dogs....my lands that was so dang funny I can't tell people about it with out cracking up! Janet PLEASE bring back the humor and lose the whore and the huge whimp shes become. Letting Joyce run her house. HER HOUSE? I hope you read what your fans are saying (begging) because I don't want to stop reading the plum books. I will - don't want to. But I can't pay the price they cost, to be so disappointed in them.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:43:49 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2011 8:44:11 AM PST]

Posted on May 2, 2012 11:24:27 AM PDT
Thesa says:
I loved your review and although I haven't read 18, because I was disgusted by what happened in 17, I completely agree with you! This series and it's characters are declining in quality. It's like JE just keeps writing them out of greed. All she ever talks about in her interviews is how much money this series has made her. Put an end to everyone's suffering already! Choose a man and end it! Actually, both men should just leave Stephanie because she's become such a slut.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 4:40:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 4:42:08 PM PDT
realmum52 says:
Terrific review. You said it all.

After finishing EE, I started rereading the series and the Stephanie we loved so much in the first 12 books now as become a shell, a caricature. I swear I find myself laughing out loud as I read the best of JE again. She made those characters come alive and be part of our lives. That's the Plum series we loved.

I laugh out loud reading your review more than the whole 18th book. I would have love for 18 to be about Steph. and Ranger. It was the first time they were together without him having to rescue her and we should have had a blow by blow account. Ranger and all of us deserved it.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:06:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 1:06:36 AM PDT
P. Boehme says:
This review made me LOL.

Thanks.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised...the series has been whoring itself out for a while now...why should Stephanie be any different?

However it ultimately ends...it's going to go out with a whimper after so much pointless, shameless meandering....bummer...because I used to really LOVE this series

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 12:08:45 PM PDT
Wolf says:
Your comments are well written and quite helpful. Thank you and kudos on your insight.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›