2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting from Call of Duty., December 16, 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts - PlayStation 4 (Video Game)
I have been a purchaser of the yearly installments of Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 2. I bought Battlefield 4 and Ghosts for my PS4 at launch. I only bought Battlefield 4 because the guy at Gamestop urged me to with my left over trade credits. I was sadly disappointed with Ghosts after playing it for the last month. I have no enjoyment when I play it anymore and am going to be getting rid of it soon. It is very rare that I have been able to get into a room where someone hasn't hacked the game and goes 35-1. Here are the main pros and cons of Ghosts.

Pros:
1.) No target finder from Call of Duty Black Ops II
2.) 1080p graphics
3.) The ability to open and close doors on buildings allows for setting up traps.
4.) Rather than prestiging a single character over and over, you just max out one of 10 squad members and then move on.

Cons:
1.) The new perk system is beyond confusing.
2.) The weapons are not balanced.
3.) The dynamic events on each map don't really do anything.
4.) Rooms are hacked and the game has only been out a little more than a month.
5.) Maps are ridiculously huge and typically games can't exceed 9v9.
6.) The guard dog can be killed with a throwing knife, but can't be stabbed and takes a full clip to kill.

Overall, I wouldn't say I never had fun playing the game but after a week of playing it, I kept coming across hackers. It's no fun playing against people that can't be killed. Before this game launched, the developers promised several things that have not been delivered upon. They promised dedicated servers, a punkbuster that would stop all the hacking and glitching, and dynamic events that would change the maps. We have none of these. What they have given us in several updates is a wolf skin for that guard dog that you can buy for $1.99 and an ugly Christmas sweater camo for your guns.

In conclusion, this game is not fun if you are a long time fan of the series. It pretty much rewards all of the worst playing habits: quick scoping and camping. The controls feel stiff and sluggish. It's almost like playing a generic version of Call of Duty. Someday, the developers might realize that all people are really looking for is an updated version of Modern Warfare 2. As I said before, I will be getting rid of this game. I can't see putting any more money into this game when it is clear that the developer would rather release add-ons that they can charge another $50+ for than fix the original product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2013 7:34:12 AM PST
B. Scott says:
All I needed to read was "Someday, the developers might realize that all people are really looking for is an updated version of Modern Warfare 2." That was THE best call of duty imo, yes even better than COD4. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of games out atm for PS4 and the ones that are out I don't particularly care for (Killzone, NFS, Knack, etc.) so I probably am going to get this game anyways since I've been a longtime COD fan. This and AC4 should be fine until next year when more stuff starts coming out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 12:12:52 PM PST
Chris says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 6:17:48 AM PST
T. Freeman says:
I was about to say the same thing. I'm worried about purchasing this game because of it's low review scores but these aren't full reviews because this person doesn't talk about the single player campaign.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 1:14:02 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 30, 2013 10:06:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 11:40:22 AM PST
John R. says:
I think most people play the COD series for the online experience, otherwise just get a gamefly subscription and beat these games in a couple days because the 1 player campaign is never long. I actually found this review very helpful.

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 10:01:08 AM PST
BiGRiCH says:
I agree that most people buy these for long term play, e.g. online gaming. Campaigns are over too quick to spend $65 on 2-4 days of gaming. Most peeps spend $65 for endless online gaming, with the option to play campaign mode later.

This review is extremely helpful.. I've been debating between this and BF4, and since I've never played BF games I was leaning heavily toward Ghosts. Now, not so much.

thanks!

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 1:52:03 PM PDT
Srom says:
There actually is a target finder. It's called the tracker sight and it's like the target finder.

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 1:23:20 PM PDT
I couldnt agree more. All the developers neeeded to do was make new maps for MW2 and most of us would have been happy. Or just keep it simple instead of over complicating weapons, upgrades and especially perks.......The perk system is ridiculously confusing.....

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 9:26:57 PM PDT
Stanhelp says:
I agree. It's not fun anymore. I went back to black ops 2. Every ghost map seems to have a white washed haze. This makes the game hard to view. Makes you think there is something wrong with your vision. Hackers have made it frustrating to play.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2014 6:57:16 PM PDT
Heather S. says:
I still to this day cannot understand why so many people feel MW2 was the best CoD. Was the hit detection the best? Arguably so, yes. Is that important in a CoD game? Yes. No doubt. But what about balance? You honestly believe the perks were balanced in MW2? Not to mention if you played it from launch there were months and months where glitches were running rampant among the community. Remember the care package speed / knife glitch? How about the javalin glitch? Not to mention everyone and their brother ran Harrier, Chopper and Nuke for their kill streaks. How about the M16 holo sight issue they never fixed? The weapons were fun but not balanced. What about the months of running into everyone using the dual 1887s which could one shot you half way across the map?

Don't get me wrong. I loved the hit detection. I liked the maps. I enjoyed the campaign. But the game felt like an absolute mess with things I listed above and much much more like OMA/Danger Close/Noob Tube spam. Just my two cents. Best wishes.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (904 customer reviews)

$29.99 $21.47