5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overall TV, June 1, 2011
This review is from: LG 32LK450 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD VA Panel HDTV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
UPDATE 06/26/2012: I have been really enjoying the TV for about a year now and am still amazed at the picture quality. I did contact LG recently about any harmful emissions or radiation that might come from the screen (as I use it quite a bit for both TV viewing and as a PC monitor), wondering if I should buy protective eye gear (I had been using various lens but decided to ask them before I purchased another pair....I had 2 pair break). They wrote back the same day and said that there is virtually no radiation from the screen.

End of UPDATE.

The set up is fairly easy although I found the manual to be lacking in more detail, especially concerning a better explanation of some of the features.

The HD picture is just AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL. I thought the screen might be a little too big for my computer but I was totally wrong....it is just great! I do not have a HDMI connector for the PC, only the RGB, but it is still just outstanding. Hook-up was a matter of just connecting the plugs.

The sound is better than good, but not great. (BELOW you will see how I was able to improve it....QUITE A BIT!!)

I was going to give it 4 stars because the non-HD channels are just good, and acceptable; but, the more I look at it, I realize it is actually pretty good. So, it warrants 5 stars.

I have seen a number of HDTVs, especially in showrooms, and this one seems to be better than those. It truly has an amazing picture with HD and I am very pleased with the purchase.

UPDATE 07/09/2011: After tinkering with the set for a month or so, I have been able to improve the sound CONSIDERABLY.....and it was pretty good to start with. Here's how I did it: Press "Menu", then "Audio". Turn "Auto" sound OFF! Next, I have the "Clear Voice II" turned "On" and set to 0 (the more I increased it to the maximum of +6, the more background static I got). MOST IMPORTANTLY, I use the "MUSIC" mode..this produces a much more dynamic sound! Then adjust Treble and Bass to your liking and CLOSE. I get a really great sound. I use 56 treble and 89 bass.

This is a 10/29/2012 UPDATE: I had ordered the Bose SOLO one piece system which is a single unit dedicated to increasing TV sound quality. I followed their instructions to the tee and used the best connection they recommended, as well as turning off the TV speakers when testing the sound. Oops.....the LG had a nicer and more dynamic sound! I have since returned the Bose system (they were great about taking it back....even paid for UPS return postage). Actually, the SOLO unit has gotten some bad reviews on here, even though more good than bad.

UPDATE 10/31/2012: After messing with the "Video" for over a year I have finally gotten what I consider to be a better picture than the "Standard" or "Intelligent Sensor" modes. Basically, I use the first option of 16:9 Ratio....then skip using the "Picture Wizard" (it is quite involved but it might work for you)....and chose the "Vivid (User)" option for the viewing mode. You can see what you like under the various adjustments of "Sharpness", "Contrast" etc.. Under "Advance Control", I have all the options set on "High" except for "Black Level", which I have on "Low". Then "Close".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2011 9:02:59 PM PDT
Some unsolicited advice: always reduce the sharpness control to 0. Sharpness adds information to the picture that was not in the signal to begin with. Although it might look a bit "soft" at first, you'll notice that eliminating sharpness will give you the most enjoyable picture after that initial adjustment.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 3:15:40 PM PDT
The advice about the sound works great. My son saw on the internet that someone suggest putting tape on the speakers. This was a much better idea.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 12:27:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2011 12:36:27 AM PDT
Patrick Wolf says:
No matter what you do the sound on all flat panel TV's sucks. Not as bad as laptop speakers but still awful. Spend the extra $125 for a Logitech Z623 or other 2.1/2.0 speaker system that you can hook up to the headphone jack so you can control volume with the remote and you'll be amazed at what you've been missing.

And dynamic mode is the most blown-out, over-colored, over-saturated, inaccurate picture mode you can choose. It's only there to give the masses that wow & pop factor. Every manufacturer knows how bad the setting is, but know most people think it looks great cause the average consumer doesn't know jack**** about picture quality. Movie or similar mode should be selected for each and every source. Fine adjustments should then be made using a calibration disk or utility, your naked eye doesn't count as calibration.

More Info:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 1:02:43 PM PST
w-dervish says:
I agree with the previous commenter who said, "dynamic mode is the most blown-out, over-colored, over-saturated, inaccurate picture mode you can choose". I think it looks terrible.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 8:42:57 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 19, 2012 8:43:15 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 8:44:23 AM PST
Kenneth Kimm says:
I can't decide between this tv, the LG Smart TV, and this samsung tv
(http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46D6300-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B004O7A7PI/ref=cm_rdp_product)

My top priorities:
1) great quality picture
2) I play a lot of blu rays, but I also have an external hard drive that I would like to plug in and stream movies from
3) I occasionally use the internet to watch youtube videos and check websites
4) I want to use my external pc speakers (logitech z-4), but I think it only accepts headphone jack outputs (which LG has but not sure about samsung)

Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated!

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 8:49:26 PM PST
bustopboxer says:
Thanks for helping me decide to buy this! I appreciate your comprehensive review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 10:17:53 PM PST
Fred 123 says:
You are quite welcome and hope you enjoy it as much as I still do mine.....and, thanks for the comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 11:11:03 PM PST
Fred 123 says:
Hi...and thanks for your input. I comment on this with my UPDATE of 02/05/2012.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 1:55:07 AM PST
JAM says:
i read your review while researching tv's and ended up buying this one from amazon. i have had it a week, and loved it until yesterday. I'm hoping you might be able to help me troubleshoot my problem so i don't have to pack it up and return it. I have direct tv, and connected my new tv to the dvr box w/hdmi cable (which i also bought from amazon..the ones they say people often buy together). yesterday, the tv starting flickering on and off every few seconds. it does not do this when i am watching a dvd, or when watching something i recorded on the dvr. only when i am trying to watch a tv program. any ideas/suggestions as to what the problem might be?
thanks so much for your time,
jam