4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Learning (or Recalling) How to Play Piano/Organ etc., June 3, 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YPT-230 61-Key Portable Keyboard (Electronics)
First, in the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I did NOT buy my Yamaha YPT-230 from Amazon.com. I earned it by doing surveys for a certain company for over four years. Eventually, this item was added to the catalog from which survey participants are allowed to choose gifts once they have accumulated sufficient points. Last month, I ordered and received this keyboard, and the AC adapter came with it; an unexpected bonus.

I've spent a solid 30 minutes nearly every day since this keyboard arrived studying, recalling, and actually playing some of the songs I once knew. I haven't any idea how the Yamaha YPT-230 performs on batteries, but as long as I have an AC adapter and electricity, I'm not likely to try the DC alternative. My level of use would probably eat batteries at the rate of 6 or so a day; an expense I cannot justify.

I'm happy with this keyboard except for a couple of things. First, and foremost, while I like the range of voices and other features included, I wish there were a way to play some keys louder and some softer as can be done on the old-style acoustic pianos. Secondly, I miss the two octaves (one from the lowest end, and one from the highest) and a few additional keys that don't appear on this keyboard. I'm certain that shortening the range of the keyboard shaved a few $$$ off the price of this item. Getting used to the shorter range - 61 keys, rather than 88 - will take a few weeks, I'm equally sure. What remains to be seen is whether I truly need those missing keys or not.

Yamaha provided a free songbook in PDF format for registering the warranty. This songbook contains 99 of the 102 programmed songs for this keyboard. Ostensibly, this song book is to help you learn to play the songs, but the print is so small, the book is valuable mainly for figuring out which of the 99 songs is which. The manufacturer could have done a better job with this book, if they actually intended anyone to learn how to play these songs.

If you're new to keyboards, I can definitely recommend this model, but you might want to get the Yamaha YPT-230 Premium Keyboard Pack that includes keyboard, stand, headphones and the power adapter, so you have everything you need to get started... well, except a good book and a teacher.

[Add comment]