4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Good, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Philips Hf3470 Wake-up Light, White (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the most part, I really like the Philips Wake-up Light. The modern design is great. The lighting itself is beautiful. The product features are adequate. The orange LED display offers four levels of brightness. The control buttons blend in nicely with the trim. The snooze button, appropriately, sticks out like a sore thumb so if I'm still drowsy I can just reach over and activate it without lifting my head all the way up off the pillow to find it.

The elegant halogen illumination is the heart of what this product is all about. You can use the Wake-up Light as a bedside lamp and adjust it to any of several intensities. Powering down, it smoothly transitions to darkness. Awesome!

The radio sounds nice, comparable to your standard clock radio. Unfortunately, it's FM only, and I'm one who likes to make the most out of my space. With no AM band to choose from it loses a bit of value for me.

As a wake-up light, this product is fantastic! With the unit placed within a couple feet of your head, it does a fine job at convincing you that the sun has risen. There are three choices of alarms: FM radio, chirping birds or a "beep" as it is referred to in the manual, but it really sounds more like a lazy kettledrum concerto. I love waking up to the chirping birds...very natural.

If you're typically miserable when being abruptly awakened to dark surroundings, then I highly recommend this item. It's a luxurious waking experience, which can contribute to a more positive start to your mornings. It really is a cool thing to have.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2010 6:20:26 AM PDT
I've been reading reviews for the previous model Philips Wake-up Light. Previous reviewers have complained that the bulb burns out too soon and is not user-replaceable.

Do you know if those concerns have been addressed with this model? Does it look like the bulb can be easily replaced?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 8:53:50 AM PDT
insomniac77 says:
You can buy a replacement bulb for this model and there are instructions on how to replace it with the clock. This is one of the top reasons I chose this model for myself.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 9:59:40 PM PST
H. Chen says:
Correct me if I am wrong, are there seperate Wake Up/Sleep settings for light and volume. In otherwords, if you use it as a dim nightlight and a soft sleep music of say the lowest possible level, is that the level you wake up too?

I left a bad review because I like to sleep with music, but need a bit higher volume to wake me up + the light. But to my disappointment, this can't be done. Whatever you leave it on is what you get in the morning. Please confirm if you discover otherwise.

Thanks!

Phil

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 7:54:26 AM PST
Esteban says:
What didn't you like? Why only 4 stars?

Would you care to do an update on the product review? Do you still like it? does it still work?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 9:41:16 AM PST
J. Sullivan says:
What I don't like is that I can't tune in to morning talk radio on the AM band (paragraph three).

It's an awesome product - possibly 4.5 stars as it is, but because it has a radio, yet lacks the AM band, I just could not bring myself to give it the full 5 star review, since more functionality could have been added to fill space this light occupies, and it likely would not have cost Philips too much more to get the multiband radio put in.

I do not care to update the product review - it is perfectly concise to my feelings on the prodict as it stands.

I still like it - a lot!

It still works perfectly fine.

If the lack of that final star is giving you reservations about buying it, don't let it. Like I stated in my summary, I highly recommend it. If you don't care to tune in to AM radio (or if like me you have a stereo and don't really care about AM lacking here) then jump on it. It's absolutely the coolest lamp I've owned, with one of the most effective and innovative wake-up features to come to an "alarm clock" since they've come about. I think you'll be completely satisfied with what it does offer.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 5:06:06 PM PDT
Hunniliz says:
I read the description of the light, but I cant tell if the alarm is madatory. Can you just have the light with no sound? I'm sure the light alone would wake me up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 1:48:12 PM PDT
B. L. Rice says:
Hi,

I don't know if you've gotten your answer yet, but I just got one of these (I haven't reviewed it yet. I want to get at least a month's worth of use before I say how awesome it is; and so far, it's awesome). There are two separate setting for the volume and light. And if you leave it at the dimmest and lowest volume at night, that is what you will wake up with.

Betty

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 2:00:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2011 2:01:03 PM PST

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:34:36 AM PST
No one has mentioned the windchimes sound as advertised in the product description. Is that really not available?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 10:45:47 AM PST
Its me! ;) says:
Unfortunately this is not possible. I personally don't like it at all. How this can be night lamp if e.g. my wake up light is level 11... its way to bright. I would like to set up my night lamp for... 1 (ONE) and alarm light 11. Maybe I just don't know how to do it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,389 customer reviews)

$99.99 $77.48