5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise - goodbye iPod, December 16, 2007
This review is from: Zune 80 GB Digital Media Player (Black) (Electronics)
There is no such thing as a perfect digital player - they ALL have some shortcomings. That being written, I am pleasantly surprised by the Zune 80 gb player. I have owned hard-drive based MP3 players since 2003 when I bought my first one. I was recently using the 5G 60gb iPod and it needed replacing so I start researching players again. After a great deal of research, I bought the Zune but didn't open it right away. I waited a few days. That was a mistake. For a few days, I just used the free Zune software. I have read some reviews that the software is terrible. I initally agreed but after learning it, I realized I reacted in haste. Sometimes it is a bigger challenge to 'unlearn' other product's software. That was my case. Now I like its simplicity. I would recommend some improvements to it though but it is fine in a general sense. The player is quite good. The sound of the music, to me, is better than my iPod. I did a direct comparision listening to the exact same songs with the same headphones on each device and that is how I drew my conclusion. I have read a review that reported a great deal of problems with synching and so forth. I have experienced none of those issues. No doubling of songs. I do see it run back through the list of everything but it isn't resynching everything. To me, it is checking the index of the Zune software's list of files to the index on the Zune looking for differences to know what to synch or ignore. Here is my list of Pros and Cons for the Zune 80.

Pros:
*Better sounding music (even without equalizer - go figure)
*Choice to use click method and/or touch. If you aren't a huge fan of the iPod click-wheel, you will really appreciate the Zune. I love that change. The touch function is more natural. To scroll up, run your finger up on the touch pad. To scroll down, run your finger down. Or just click on the top/bottom/left/right of the touch pad to navigate. Again, it really is very natural to use.
*Extremely easy on the eyes. This is a pleasure to view. Easy to read.
*Friendly navigation. Again, unlearning other players is the biggest hurdle but worth getting to know the device. Once you do, you will really like this device.
*Larger viewing screen.
*Radio - with RDBS. Very nice feature.
*Supports Podcasts. I subscribed to X-Play's video game review podcast with no problems.
*Nicer headphones included. They come with headphones that have inserts to help find a better fit.
*The quick add playlist is very friendly to use. I didn't really like the iPod one mostly because I wasn't a huge fan of the clickwheel.
*Substantial feel. It handles like a quality effort was put into it.

Cons:
*Battery life. Not long enough for me.
*Some software design improvements needed on the Zune device and the Zune software on the pc. I could list a set of improvements but I won't. They are more tweaks that I believe the development team could easily add. My field is software so I know I view things from a different perspective.

Overall: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I am glad I did not buy another iPod. I am excited about music again thanks to this player. I am actually looking forward to buying CD's and DRM-free music. And remember, there is no such thing as a perfect digital player. Keep an open mind when you are browsing for players. There are many good choices out there, not just one. Oh, and please don't give away music. Pay for it so the artist that you love can devote their creative talents to making even more music. (No - I don't work in the music industry in any way. I just want to at least support the artists that make the music I want to hear.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2010 11:57:52 PM PDT
Jay gold says:
this zune is over priced because it has only 80 gb . Only a 120 gb zune should have that price

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2010 7:09:12 AM PDT
ILoveGadgets says:
I am fairly certain that when I purchased this in 2007, the 120 gb didn't exist yet. As such, I purchased it at the price it was in 2007 and my post was done at that time. I cannot recall what that price was given the time that has elapsed. If you are referring to the current prices that some third party sellers are offering it for, I have no idea what that might be. The upside, that Zune I bought in 2007 is still working quite well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›