5.0 out of 5 stars A step above the run of the mill games, March 10, 2005
This is an excellent game for 2-5 players, and especially for kids. I was initially put off by the theme and the mentioning of winning the $1 million dollar prize on the advertisement. I immediately thought there would be paper money involved and it would be like Monopoly where I would have to be a banker,,,and yech. But no, I was WRONG. There is no fake money involved! Just little cards with different colors. Easy, but challenging. It is a game where you can be nice and not mess with your opponents supposed destination, or you can try and block them. You get points according to the tracks you lay and connections you make.
But please, I love Amazon, but their Days of Wonder games are all overpriced. You can get this and their other games much cheaper on designated game sites. Do a search, read other reviews, boardgamegeek is a wonderful place to look and compare games. This was one of the first games I bought and I just keep finding more neat games to buy that you can't find here.
***Fast forward 2010*** This is still a great game, that hasn't changed. Just want to note that Amazon does have better pricing on this and other games now, especially when free shipping is involved.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2007 7:46:59 PM PDT
J. Nipar says:
Solid review; I agree. One more key facet of Ticket-to-Ride is that it is a top rated Spouse-Game, making it a genuine winner among us geeks that drag our spouses into our hobbies because, well... our friends just don't talk to us anymore.

I do pass along a caution about shopping around on price. You are correct that there are better deals than the Sellers on Amazon. There's always a better deal, somewhere. However, I think the keystone VALUE of Amazon is the community and confidence behind the purchase, and that is worth an extra buck or two. Kind of like when you walk in to your local family-owned hardware store, Susan greets you at the door, and then she walks you through the roof-tar section all-the-while talking about last week's fireworks at the ball field. There is Value in community that rises about the dollar.

Posted on Jan 18, 2008 8:31:00 PM PST
Ron says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 9:39:00 AM PDT
Aaron Turner says:
Nice advice?? ^^

I think the reviewer meant to go to big game resellers, not the publisher of the game or Amazon. You can typically pay 30-35% off retail at these types of places.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 10:28:09 AM PDT
J. Fiorani says:
Haha, funny to read your comments, as I'm in Lake Orion, too. Bought Ticket to Ride at Little Monsters downtown! :) Nice people. Excellent game--best my family has ever had! We play all the time, and my husband and I even play without the kids sometimes. :) I can't find expansion boards, though--we'd love to do Europe, but don't want to pay all the money for a whole new game!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 8:25:26 AM PST
E. Lambeth says:
For expansions, I HIGHLY recommend the 1910 expansion, which replaces your tiny cards with regular sized ones, and it gives you a lot more destinations (as well as altering the point value of some existing destinations). You also get bonus points for having the most completed destination tickets. My personal favorite is Switzerland, where you have to develop some new strategies to deal with tunnels and the fact that locomotive cards can only be played on tunnels. And as a bonus, you get to read the names of familiar and unfamiliar Swiss cities in their native spelling.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 8:32:23 AM PDT
Eric Random says:
I don't know what Amazon will allow we customers to post here about their competitors but a Google search on Ticket To Ride did not turn up a price for a new copy of the game much lower than Amazon's, including the minimum bids at boardgeek. If you thrown in free shipping and hassle free delivery, Amazon seems like the right way to go. So what "designated" sites are you guys talking about ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 8:44:26 AM PDT
Jadecat says:
I agree Eric, the current price amazon is offering is a good one, my review is about 5 years old, and prices have changed a bit. So if I didn't have this game already, I would get it at this price indeed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 9:38:23 AM PDT
Eric Random says:
Thanks, Jadecat. I didn't notice how old your post was but it does seem like the standard price is now around $35. TTR looks like a great game that I will enjoy playing equally well with my hardcore game group and my grandchildren when they get a little older.

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:02:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 10, 2012 11:12:55 AM PST]

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 1:25:59 PM PDT
AmazonAddict says:
I would check with your local hometown gaming stores - I know I beat Amazon's pricing on many games :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›