4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone but ..., March 8, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot G1 X 14.3 MP CMOS Digital Camera (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
If you want GREAT IQ this is it. MY G1X came in on 2-9-2012 and have taken over 1000 pics with it. If you want a FAST camera then its not for you, the focus is not fast but it does the job, I would not call it slow. Shot to shot is slow and dont even talk about macro. I have a 7D for speed and macro but the funny thing is the G1X has as good if not better IQ at high iso it really is that good.

The 4 stars and not 5 is for the speed of focus and MFD. I do weddings and portraits and this is now my backup camera to my 7D. Its far from perfect but the reason for a camera is the picture and for this its very very good. The video is good and it will focus while in video mode, you can also zoom in video and its nearly silent. I use raw with my 7D but I am finding that may not be needed with the G1X the jpg's out of the camera are as good as I can get with LR4. The lens hood will not fit the G1x reversed, I use a Lowepro Apex 100aw. It will hold the Gx with the lens hood attached.

4/16/2012
Adding data on frame rate. Did a bit of testing on how fast you can take continuous shoots. All testing was done while shooting at a clock for 10-11 sec and then counting the number of pictures taken. Also tested with int and ext flash.
AV mode, auto white bal,4:3 large jpg, DR off, 28mm 1/60 @ 2.8.

no flash:
Single shot ~ 5 / 10 about 5 shots in 10 sec, frame rate = (shots - 1) / time = 0.4 shots / sec, 2.5 sec / shot
Cont-with focus ~ 8 / 10 = 0.7 & 1.43

ext flash 320ex
Single shot ~ 4 / 10
Cont-with focus ~ 7 / 10
Cont-no focus ~ 17 / 10

Beause of the faster operation in cont/focus I have changed to that as my std. I would rather have extra shots then miss one. This also shows the huge advantage with an ext flash in faster shooting. The problem with cont/focus is the the screen is black for about 80% of the time :(

6/11/2102
In my view the 320EX is to big a flash for the G1X, its bigger then the camera. I picked up a 270EXII last week and really like it on the G1X, I think the size is a better match. I wanted to pass on one thing I found that is nice, the 270EXII with Eneloop's in cont-no focus mode the flash would keep up with the camera as fill light AV mode. I stopped at 32 shots with no delay from the flash. Will add more as I do more testing.

I think that most people know that an ext flash helps because of the bounce feature but there are a few other good reasons for an ext flash. One that I like is it has its own battery so you dont use the camera battery. Another is the remote flash you can do with the 270EXII.

One more little thing, the Video Light on the 320ex will work in the auto mode with the G1X. It will turn on when needed in a video and it wont turn off till the end of the video, so it wont be flashing on and off.

8/31/2012
Wanted to add some data on SD cards. The G1X does NOT support UHS1 sd cards, it can still use a UHS1 card but will not be as fast as the card is rated for. To test this I used a Scandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s sd card and had only a 10% better frame rate then the Amazon basics 16g sd class 10 card. I also tested card speed in two different card readers one an older model USB2 and NO UHS1 support, the Scandisk Extreme Pro only did 20MB/s with this reader and the Amazon basics did 17. In a new USB3 & USH1 (USpeed Y3201) reader the Scandisk Extreme Pro did 86MB/s and the Amazon basics did 18.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2012 9:03:13 AM PDT
Steven Young says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 9:20:07 AM PDT
Bob says:
I was wondering if the LCD shows pictures at full screen or are they cropped because of the sensor size. This looks like a great camera. Hope you like.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 9:40:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 9:40:39 AM PDT
R. Baker says:
Since you are a wedding photog, you obviously need reasonable depth of field and the ability to focus off-center. With the DSLR's you can obviously use the complex metering grid to designate your focusing area....how easy is it with this camera to do a off-center focus? Thanks for your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 1:50:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 1:55:57 AM PDT
Steven Young says:
Well, when it comes to photography, I'm more of a retro-tech. While I do own a DSLR, a nikon d700, my SLR of choice is a F100 film camera. Yes, I still shoot on film as I like it's look better. For off the center focusing on my SLR and/or DSLR, I make sure my focus is on single focus mode, my focus metering is centered, and I zoom in on the subjects eye, or any contrast I can find, focus, zoom out and compose quickly. If I'm using a prime lens, I just focus on my subject, lock the focus, and then compose. I find this method for myself faster and easier for me instead of using the fancy off-center focus modes equipped with these cameras.

The G10 and G1x is quite complex when it comes to off center focusing, but it doesn't take very long. I quickly switch to manual focus, zoom into an eye, roll the dial till the focus is sharp, zoom out and compose.

I think the people problem have the using the G10 and G1x is that they are looking for a pocket camera to replace their SLR. Well, this camera will not do that. Even though it's quality output is literally the same, it just doesn't have the horsepower of a SLR. It's strength though, is that it's a snapshot camera, and an extremely good one at that. I use this camera almost exclusively to deliver incredible candids to my couples. Couples, people, they just have fun with this camera because it doesn't look like a professional camera. So they are not posing, they are not stopping what they are doing, they are just having fun. Most of the time I attach an external flash to it to get extremely fast recycle times, but sometimes I just use the built in flash, and that's great as well. I have done an entire wedding and reception with this camera. If you want to take a look at entire wedding shot on this camera check out this link: http://tbf.me/a/9IPlF

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 3:14:26 AM PDT
Canon DSL Zoom lenses are not calibrated to stay in focus as focal length is changed by zooming. Does the non-interchangeable lens built on the G1 X overcome this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 6:14:59 AM PDT
R. Baker says:
Hey Steven....thanks for the detailed response...and, your wedding pix tell the true story.....This looks like my next camera...thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 8:10:29 AM PDT
David L. Lee says:
The G1X has a focus mode called "FlexiZone" that lets you drag the focus box around the LCD and pick from two focus box sizes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 8:15:27 AM PDT
David L. Lee says:
It shows 100% on the LCD but on anything other then 4/3 there is some black space.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 8:17:52 AM PDT
R. Baker says:
Thanks Dave...that is very helpful. Is FlexiZone used in P mode or in the various scene modes or it is available all the time?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 8:13:26 PM PDT
Its in P,Tv,Av,M,C1,C2 but not Auto,SCN or HDR. Hope that helps

‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (132 customer reviews)

$649.00 $549.00