5.0 out of 5 stars Happy (Colorful) Girl, March 6, 2012
This review is from: e.l.f. 100 Piece Eyeshadow Palette, 3.17 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
Alright, well I gave this item 5 stars, though I did find one minor discrepancy: My friend bought the E.L.F. palette from Target during a promotional sale they held, and I loved it so much that I simply had to buy it. Now, I didn't have my friend's palette in front of me while I was ordering this palette, but I thought that some of the colors were a bit off from hers. I really wanted her exact palette, but I couldn't be positive that any of the colors were actually different, so I ordered this palette anyway. Turns out, a few of the colors actually are a bit different from the other palette; maybe just a shade or 2 darker. I didn't see the other palette on line though, but her palette had more matte colors than this palette.

So, if you've seen an E.L.F. palette from a Target dealer, this isn't the exact same palette, but it's comparably close. Just as good, same basic colors, just a few a shade or two darker. No biggie (hence 5 stars).

This palette is a mix of matte and shimmer colors, but when I say 'shimmer' I mean shimmer not sparkle. In light, you can see the reflective speckles, but after application, the powder comes off looking more satin like than shimmery, so if you're a fan of pearl/satin textured shadows, this one's for you. A plus is that the same palette also has matte colors, so there's something for every one!

Colors are perfectly pigmented for my skin tone. I have light to medium (touch of Olive to tan depending on whether or not I'm tan or if it's summer), and these colors are perfect for those tones. They aren't a vibrant as they seem in the picture, but still pigmented enough that you get the color you're applying.

The outer 2 rows and the upper wells of the middle 4 rows are great for highlight colors, or even if you're just looking for light coverage, while the bottom of the palette is good for the details, more accented looks.

The shadow wells are good sized, especially compared to some of the other brands of palettes.

Primer is a must, though most makeup fiends probably don't dare apply shadow without some sort of primer anyway. Because these colors aren't as highly pigmented as say, MAC, they don't last as long without primer and apply lighter, but this IS a $10 palette, so don't expect MAC quality (though I do love this palette, more than the ultra vibrant MAC/BH palettes, but I'm more of a subtle-color girl).

If you're new to palettes or eyeshadow, I'd highly recommend this palette. It boasts a wide range of colors and hues, so you can play around with the various colors to see what works for you and what doesn't before you move on to a more expensive palette.

I own 12 palettes, now including this one, from a variety of brands (some of them high-end like MAC, Tarte, Too Faced and BH), and I very much like this palette. It's actually the one I go straight for on a daily basis, for my work look, and it's much more attractive looking in person.

Hope that helps if you're on the fence for whatever reason!

[Add comment]