5.0 out of 5 stars I was reluctant, but Wii Party is Tons of Fun!, October 5, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Party (Video Game)
I'm new to Wii, and after wasting over a hundred dollars on crappy games only to trade them in for pennies on the dollar, I was leery about throwing more money away. Thankfully, Wii Party is a huge hit at our house!

My reaction to Wii games seems to be instantaneous -- I either love or hate them within the first few minutes of play. And believe me, it doesn't feel good to spend 50 dollars on a game only to realize you've just thrown your money away. And after buying one dud game after another, Wii Party had a lot riding against it in my mind. But I really wanted something else to play other than my fave, Wii Sports Resort. So I decided to give it one more try, bit the bullet, and bought Wii Party -- and boy, am I glad I did!

The trailer for this game really doesn't do it justice. I was thinking this game might be kinda lame, but it really has to be experienced to be appreciated. Like Sports Resort, I'm very impressed with the programming, thought and imagination that went into this. Wii has taken the potentially boring concept of party games and created something quite wonderful, not to mention fun. Unlike New Carnival Games, which was one inane game fragment after another, Wii Party has come up with an inventive way to thread everything together and create an enjoyable gaming experience.

The Host is NOT speaking Japanese!

Wii Party has a cute character that hosts the entire game. I've seen some text and video reviews complaining that he speaks Japanese -- well, I'm not fluent, but I do speak some Japanese, and the host of Wii Party is NOT speaking Japanese. He's not speaking anything, it's just a made up language so the same game can be manufactured for distribution throughout the world. That way, only the onscreen text would change to fit the appropriate country's language, which is easy to accomplish with simple encoding. The host speaks to the players as if they are watching and participating in a game show. And the instructions are displayed as text onscreen. I've read some complaints about this, but since when is teaching children how to read a bad thing?! And for the adults, it gives the opportunity to read the instructions more than once if necessary, to make sure one understands how to play each game. Personally, I like the host and think he's cute. Whenever he comes on screen, it brings a smile to my face. It kinda reminds me of a cross between a quirky Sesame Street puppet and a Cirque du Soleil character. Their Vegas show, Mystere, has a similar character (who is even dressed in a similarly colored costume) and he helps thread the whole show together -- as does the host in Wii Party. And like Cirque, it makes no difference that he's speaking in a foreign tongue, or in this case, a completely made-up one.

Practice Rounds

I appreciated that each game has the option to do practice rounds. It helps immensely to read the instructions, do a practice, then re-read the instructions again to clarify. You can do as many practice rounds as you like, and some of the games can be tricky, so this is a big plus. The games are all very fun but it takes some getting used to, as far as how the controls work and respond, so practicing before doing the actual game is a good thing.

Laugh Out Loud Fun

Every game we've played so far had us all literally laughing aloud, pointing at the screen and the time just flew by. Hours felt like minutes and it was midnight before we realized we had stayed up way too late playing games. But if laughter is the best medicine, then it was time well spent.

Board Game Island -- was very unique and a really good time, even if bad rolls of the dice occasionally messed things up for us. The neat thing is, computer controlled Mii characters will play along too, so if there's only 2 human players, the computer will play the 2 others so there's a full squad of four. This makes board games more interesting than just playing with 2. But there are plenty of 1, 2 and 4 player games -- literally something for everybody.

Balance Boat -- is really neat too. You have to balance a predetermined number of Miis on a sailboat's masts, making sure not to topple the whole thing over and into the sea. Each round has a mini game that requires 2 players to work as a team. If you play the mini game well and get it right, you get to balance 2 Miis of the same size. If not, the Miis are ridiculously different sizes, making balancing the pair onto the boat much more difficult. So as the game goes on, it gets harder and harder, and funnier too!

The mini games are amazing! Landing your Mii on the moon with space jet packs, flying through space avoiding asteroids, flying a helicopter and saving other Miis with a safety line, chopping trees with an axe, dune buggies, balance mazes, Match Up where you match the Miis wandering the town square... even Bingo was fun and entertaining thanks to the mini games. And you're not playing bingo with numbers, but with Mii faces! The list of great games goes on and on! There's even a silly one where you swing from a vine like Tarzan -- just one vine and you swing as hard as you can to see how far you'll fly! We managed to exit the stratosphere and fly past a UFO!! Unlike all the other wasted money on crappy games, we're literally going to have hours and hours of fun with this one! What a relief to finally find a game worth the purchase price, and then some!

I guess I'm learning that I prefer games that integrate the Miis we've made. We found a website with instructions on how to make celebrity Miis and it's a lot of fun to see them incorporated into these games. Rescuing your faves, finding them in a crowd, matching them up, having them cheer you on as a player when you win or do well -- it's really a nice touch and adds another element of fun to it all. There's even a dating type game that gauges 2 players compatibility -- Friend Connection -- it's not necessarily a dating game, it just reminded me of the Newlywed Game. But any 2 people can play it and see how they match up as good friends or whatever.

Another feature I like -- when you're at the game's main menu that lists all there is to play, if you hover over each game, it gives an estimate of how long it'll take to play (5 min, 30 min, 45 min, etc.) Obviously, game time can vary based on what you do and how much you practice, but it's cool to know an estimate of how long each game might take.

Bottom Line -- just like Sports Resort, Wii Party is definitely a game I'll come back to again and again! Literally hours and hours of fun to be had here, and after all the wasted money on bad games, this one has renewed my faith in Wii games. I love Wii Party and can't say enough good about it!!! What a blast!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2010 12:20:31 PM PDT
Thanks for a great detailed review...I am thinking of this game for the fam for the holidays, and you seem to view games like I do. Can't wait to get it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2010 12:52:35 PM PDT
hey there;
glad my review helped! we just finished another 2hour run at it and still we're having a lot of fun and loving it! I think you'll really enjoy it; especially around the holidays! it really is a great game especially for a family, though 1 & 2 players work really well too. best of luck and have fun! there really is something for everyone in it! ;-D

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 12:32:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2010 12:32:51 PM PDT
Bob Main says:
Great review, I started having second thoughts about getting this game but now they are gone. You should look up Disney's Guilty Party as well, you won't regret it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 1:01:37 PM PDT
Kaio says:
hey there -- glad the review helped, and thanks for the tip. i was curious about Guilty Party but reluctant after all the duds i bought and traded. but Wii Party is so great, i'm feeling adventurous again so i'll keep Guilty Party on my short list. but i'm so embroiled with Wii Party and Sports Resort, i'll be busy for a while :-D

Posted on Oct 16, 2010 12:18:50 PM PDT
Alberto says:
Great review! I might get this one for Christmas.
Just to know, which games you bought that didn't like? May help prevent buying them too lol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 12:31:16 PM PDT
Kaio says:
glad you liked the review. still having loads of fun with Wii Party and haven't even tried all the games yet. there's so many faves, we haven't wanted to pull away from them to try some different ones. but they're all loads of fun for us.

the other games we've tried so far that we weren't fond of were: New Carnival Games (terrible,) Wipeout (ok, but i'm hoping for an improved version,) Big Beach Sports 2 (maybe ok for kids,) Tiger Woods 10 & 11 (wanted it for the Frisbee golf, but Sports Resort's version is WAY better!) ...I'm forgetting one, but maybe that's a good thing! don't want to be reminded of all the wasted $$.

good luck and enjoy Wii Party! it would make a great Christmas gift everyone can enjoy together. It really is tons of fun and we're all still loving it! And be sure to make some celebrity Miis, it's fun and adds to the novelty of this game for sure! I saved Whoopi and George Clooney with a helicopter yesterday! And Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga are good pals; always hanging out together in the bg and such. :oD

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 6:41:53 PM PDT
Primogen says:
I am glad you enjoy Wii Party and sorry to hear you had to go through a few of the duds. It's a rough time for an un-informed shopper, and as an employee at a store that sells video games I always try to be as informative as possible. Some of the horrible "budget titles", movie/tv tie-ins, etc can clutter shelves and I try to help and give better suggestions.

I would HIGHLY suggest the Boom Blox series of games. There are 2 of them, the first can be bought most places for under $20 and the second (Bash Party) can be around $30. They are GREAT games if you enjoy the "Wii" series, and are of high quality. The idea of them is hard to explain but it's addicting and great for anyone of any age. The first allows you to build your own puzzles and levels, and the second allows the same only with being able to share them online and download more.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 1:56:00 AM PDT
can i ask is it in english

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 1:03:59 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
I would like to know what games you have gotten that you did not like. I own Boom Blox party (got it here on Amazon for $12) and it is a very fun game. Other games that I personally enjoy are: Mario Party 8,MarioKart,Sports Resort,Mario Galaxy 1 and 2,New Super Mario Bros.,and Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games. I was thinking of picking up Wii Party. I still may,but know if I wait a while it will drop to around $20. You made it sound like a lot of fun for me and my daughter to play.

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 1:46:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2010 1:47:30 PM PDT
I was really hesistant to buy this game when I first saw the videos of it on youtube but I'm so glad I did. My boyfriend and I have so much fun playing it. We play it just about every Friday night and we gather our friends and family around and have an absolute ball. I love all the games some of them REALLY challenge your problem solving skills (The one where you have to move the bananas and the big boxes). It also tests your "communication skills" with whomever it is your playing, because a lot of two player team games really require you to work as a team, solve problems as a team, think through things as a team in order to complete it in the time allowed.

The only thing that irks me about this game is probably the host's voice. No, he doesn't speak japanese but his jibberish is rather annoying after so many games.

Other than that, we love it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (489 customer reviews)

$39.99 $39.96
Reviewer

Kaio
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Sunny California