Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if the food tastes bad because of all the mistakes, or if the food just tastes bad., August 17, 2012
This review is from: Forks Over KnivesThe Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year (Paperback)
This cookbook is riddled with typos and mistakes...like, omitting whole entire ingredients from the recipe. Publisher came out with a statement saying they are going to fix mistakes in future printings, but they should take the current version off amazon immediately. Not fair for consumers to spend money on something that is a total amateur publishing. As someone who works in publishing, this is really offensive. I know what it's like to proofread, and it's not brain surgery. I can understand one or two typos here and there, but i've only made 4 recipes so far and every single one had an error. And unfortunately, the ending results of everything i've made have been mediocre. Nothing really BAD or terrible, but nothing i'd make again or offer to guests. If this book can't win over a vegan like myself, it's certainly not going to win over any meat-eaters. Very disappointed. I was really excited and hopeful for a Forks Over Knives revolution, but it's not going to happen anytime soon with a cookbook like this. Sorry! (And who puts indian curry on pasta??? That is just wrong.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2012 12:28:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012 12:30:28 AM PDT
I agree COMPLETELY it REALLY does a disservice to the "vegan revolution". I am on the fence about going vegan myself because I've heard the only truly bioavailable vitamin B12 is found in animal products only and I have also heard raw milk (if handled properly and not full of antibiotics, hormones etc.) is actually healing many illnesses...so to win over someone like me they need to be more professional. Sorry to sound rude, I don't mean to but it seems like they rushed it so that they can make top dollar on the recent raw, vegan and juicing craze. Leaves me with some added trust issues with the people promoting this lifestyle and their motivations I'm sorry to say.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 10:46:40 PM PDT
Ann - Here is a link about B12

I am not sure what your reasoning is for drinking milk, but if it's for calcium intake, it is better to get it from a plant based diet than from cow's milk.

On a different note, I just can't imagine sucking on a cow's teat, so the thought of drinking what comes out of it, just seems really disgusting to me. LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2013 1:36:43 AM PDT
Lola Jean says:
I think you should be more concerned about the people promoting the opposite lifestyle. The conventional wisdom is that we need animal products, and people have a hard time letting go of this ides. The people who defend eating animals products tend to be either the people who are involved in the meat, dairy, and egg industries-profiting off of your animal product consumption-or just people who don't want to change because they like animal products. The truth is that you do not need animal products, despite what some people will tell you. I've been vegan for 6 years now and I eat and drink foods fortified with B12 and take a B12 supplement just to be safe. I had blood work done not too long because I was having abdominal pain (it turned out that I just pulled a muscle, and all is well now) and all of my levels are in a healthy range. As for the milk, I have heard these claims, but who really knows how true they are and how available is raw milk anyway? It is illegal in most US states and if you did find it, it will probably be expensive. Besides, their are ethical concerns with any milk because in order for humans to take the milk, the calf has to be separated from it's mother. This is emotionally distressful to both mother and calf, and the calf won't be able to drink milk that it is supposed to be drinking which is detrimental to it's health. I feel like if people wanted to make money off of a "fad" diet, they would do well to pick something that isn't as controversial as veganism. A vegan cookbook or informational book tends to attract people who are already vegan, are already planning on becoming vegan, or are just generally open to vegan foods-which isn't a large percentage of the population. Most people who promote a vegan lifestyle really do care and have good intentions; you have to care about something other than making money in order to consistently promote veganism or, believe me, you would give up. There are too many rude people, put-downs, and attempts by meat eaters to discredit what you are saying. Also, the recipes in the book have apparently been fixed, now just so you know :)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 5:32:08 PM PST
Yes, it's a pain in the drain when there are that many mistakes and they should have been caught, at least the bulk of them. Since they weren't, you can go to: http://theexperimentpublishing.com/2012/08/forks-over-knives-the-cookbook-errata/
and get the errata sheet. I have done the same thing for several other cookbooks. I have a printout of the mistakes now waiting for the arrival of my copy of the cookbook, and I will tuck the sheet into the book when it arrives.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2013 11:18:29 AM PST
NutriMom says:
to Carolyn Blakeney:
I would love to know if the cookbook you just received had had the errors fixed?
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2013 2:04:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2015 6:16:19 PM PDT
NutriMom, I ordered a used copy so no- that will come with the next printing. What I do is go through the book with the errata sheet and note the corrections on each page (like I said, I've done this several times before with other cookbooks).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 1:10:23 PM PST
AY says:
Lola - Do you have a good vegan cookbook that you recommend that I should check out? Thanks!
I was going to purchase this one, but I think I'll hold it off for a bit due to the reviews here...

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 1:30:54 PM PST
What's wrong with Indian curry on pasta?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2014 2:05:45 PM PST
When I lived in Sicily, I had dinner once at the home of some local gals who cooked home-made ravioli with a curry cream sauce. It was delicious (but not vegan, obviously). Point is, it can't be wrong if native Italians do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2014 8:53:21 AM PDT
Robin Robertson's vegan cookbooks are quite good, in my experience. Vegan Planet is a good one to start with.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›