Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd Man Out, March 4, 2009
This review is from: Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching (Hardcover)
I must be a less educated seamstress that the other reviewers, because I found the directions to be less than complete. There is an assumption in this book that you know what the seam allowance should be in some instances, that you know which is the "right" side as opposed to the "wrong" (not to be confused with the right and wrong side of the fabric), and that you can interpret drawings without having a clue as to which side is truly right or left or why that makes a difference. Also, as an example of deficient instruction, the photo of the trapeze dress is shown with ample box pleats while the pattern show meager ones and none in the back. However, when you try to put it together it's clear that there should be some in the back. I will have to rework and adjust the entire pattern to come up with anything that looks like the photograph. It's a sad lesson to learn after using material that I could not afford to waste. I also made the wrap around skirt in large/extra large and after struggling to interpret the minimal directions, I find that it is too small. Granted, I'm a size 14 to 16, but the pattern is a 10 to 12 and that's not large/extra large, to me. Measurements would be a good thing to have for reference on the patterns.

All of this is regrettable as her pictures are so appealing and her styles are so lovely with such clean lines. My ultimate opinion is that the author is a talented artist with, as many artists are, an inability to translate into precise, detailed instruction. Again, perhaps I am simply too much of a beginner, but beginners should be able to make lovely things too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2009 7:35:59 PM PST
photopheind says:
I just checked my copy of the book, and all these issues seem quite clear: measurements are given for sizes, instructions for pleats are thorough, etc. Are you sure about these complaints?

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 8:57:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2009 12:31:32 PM PST
In my research of the book's development and the backgrounds of all the people involved in its creation, I learned that Weekend Sewing had the largest technical editing expense of any STC book currently in print. Heather Ross personally spent several additional months testing her patters in various classes with beginning sewers and revising many of the complexities of her patterns to achieve the very objective of enabling beginners to create lovely things. Having met Heather and witnessed her true love of the craft and her desire to share her knowledge, I suggest you reach out to her directly for assistance - she is the sort of person that will take your criticism to heart and do whatever feasible to enhance your enjoyment of sewing and her book. She has a widely-read blog site which provides a forum to accomplish just that (http://heatherross.squarespace.com/weekend-sewing-tips-tricks-faq/); there is an entire section of the blog where Heather interacts daily with visitors to the site answering questions, providing tips and tricks, and sharing her recommendations. I hope this helps and that you keep on trying; you are clearly the sort of person this book was intended to inspire.

Posted on Apr 1, 2009 7:31:24 AM PDT
There are errors in the trapeze dress pleat instructions (addressed on Heather Ross's blog) but the pattern does show one pleat in the back--I think you missed the pattern marking.

Posted on Apr 24, 2009 3:54:35 AM PDT
Hi
My sympathies, there is nothing worse than instructions that don't quite get you over the line. I have no comment to make on the instructions in this book. But as a fellow beginner sewer, I would urge you to make a muslin, or toile, of any new pattern. This is what my sewing teacher recommends, saying that you don't buy ready to wear clothing without tryign it on, nor should you cut into your expensive fabric without first knowing that the pattern a) is the right size and b) actually looks good on you. When you put it like that, it makes perfect sense. I am working on an Amy Butler pattern right now and while I measured meticulously, I find that it doesn't fit the wya I want - but that's ok, because I had the calico trial to muck up.

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 6:33:21 PM PDT
Thank you for your frank review of this book. As a beginning seamstress I don't need the added expense and heartbreak of buying a book and fabric to make something that has errors in the patterns. If an experienced person had problems, how am I supposed to be able to create these patterns?

Again, thanks, you've saved me aggravation!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2009 11:05:38 PM PDT
netty1180 says:
Thank you for pointing out these problems. I've passed on buying lovely looking sewing books for lack of thought in the patterns and photos. However many of the other comments reasure me that this book is still good. So I will put it on my list and look for a less expensive copy like I always do. Happy sewing everyone :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009 7:20:11 AM PDT
The simple fact is, it's a book and should have all the instruction needed in the book for the projects, and not have to contact the author directly to figure out what to do. One shouldn't have to go to a blog to figure out the book. It should stand on its own.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 9:50:11 AM PST
Darci Weber says:
The book is still very, very good. As with ANY pattern (even the Big 4), everybody's different body shapes require different pattern adjustments. I'd recommend Fit for Real People: Sew Great Clothes Using ANY Pattern (Sewing for Real People series) for the inexperienced sewer. I don't waste money to make muslins any more -- and can fit my fashion fabric to my body after making tissue adjustments. Heather Ross's projects are very easy and very fun, but pattern fitting is essential to fashion sewing success.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2010 6:33:58 PM PDT
mother22 says:
"The book is still very, very good. As with ANY pattern (even the Big 4), everybody's different body shapes require different pattern adjustments"

No, any book that requires pages of "errata" to be posted online to correct for mistakes made in that book is NOT a very, very good book. The problem with the patterns in these books is not that they need to be "adjusted" like all patterns to fit a particular figure; the problem is that both the patterns and instructions contain several errors.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2010 6:40:01 PM PDT
mother22 says:
"In my research of the book's development and the backgrounds of all the people involved in its creation, I learned that Weekend Sewing had the largest technical editing expense of any STC book currently in print. Heather Ross personally spent several additional months testing her patters"

I'm sure Heather Ross is a very talented, dedicated crafter; however, this book has some serious errors. "I hope soon to have a printable errata that you can tuck into your book..." That is a quote by Heather Ross, posted on her website. Any book that is as thoroughly tested as you say this book is shouldn't need a "printable errata" to go along with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›