4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great - Very Nice Product, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Belkin Hands-Free Bluetooth Car Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version (Electronics)
First, let me say, this is a happy ending to a long story. I tried multiple solutions and this one worked the best for me. The BlueTooth audio (stereo) from our iPhones is great! The audio for phone calls is not great but works fine, especially for hands free use.

My first attempt was using a cable solution that plugs into the bottom of the iPhone using the 25-pin connector. The cable split into two where one side went to a DC power adapter and the other side went to the AUX input on the GM factory stereo (HHR SS). This was a slick solution but the description for the product left out one detail - you can't use it for hands-free phone calls. Apparently Apple does not pass telephone audio through the 25 pin socket.

I then tried the Griffin BlueTooth Aux for iPhone which was very highly rated on the Apple site but mediocre on Amazon. This product sounded great and worked very well for hands-free conversations but had problems reconnecting with our iPhones. The DC power outlet in GM cars is always on, so the Griffin Bluetooth Aux never reset itself. For whatever reason, we would have to go through the Bluetooth settings on the phone to reconnect every time we got in the car. Note that the two were still paired - just not connected.

Finally, I tried the Belkin CarAudio Connect AUX (Previously called the Belkin AirCast BlueTooth In-Car Adapter). This one worked! A really nice feature is that it powers down after 10 minutes without a connection. Now when we enter the car we press the button the little disc you see in the picture and it turns on, reconnects to you device, and starts playing whatever audio you last listened to. If it does not start playing your music you simply press the disc again as this acts as the PLAY / PAUSE button. Press twice and you skip to the next song. Press and hold for about 5-seconds and you can voice dial.

While the unit sounds great it is not the end-all for hands-free. People on the other end of the phone can hear you but it is not perfect at all. Some of that has to do with where you mount the little disc which contains the microphone and other ambient noise in the car. I had no problem with syncing and there is very little audio loss but keep in mind this is a stock stero and speakers. It was a quick fix to wanting my wife to be able to listen to music from her new iPhone as well as enjoy the benefits of hands-free talking while driving. Oh, you can also answer the phone by pressing the disc while you are listening to music.

This unit was $79.99 at the Apple Store, and between $57 and $80 through Amazon and various sellers. I fortunately hit upon some good luck as Fry's had them on sale for $29.99 which made the whole story even happier. Note that you have to have a stereo with a 3/8" audio input (AUX) jack for this to work.

I hope this help.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2012 10:48:29 AM PDT
d0min0 says:
have you tried the griffin bluetooth aux on another car WITHOUT a constant cigarette power source? meaning if you turn the car off, there is no more power to the cigarette lighter. i am debating between the belkin and the griffin. please let me know. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 6:17:54 AM PDT
Beno says:
Hi - I returned the Griffin product when I bought the Belkin.
Belkin still works GREAT!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 1:26:24 AM PDT
Joseph Siu says:
You said after 10 minutes of inactivity, the device shut itself down? So you never pull the plug on the cigarette lighter? I bought one of these, turned off my phone and watched it for 10 minutes... it never shut itself down. I also held the button for a while and the ring light went off but the next morning the light was on again and it drained my car's entire battery so I had to get a jump start. Did I just get a defective unit? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 7:25:24 AM PDT
Beno says:
Did you ensure that your device was paused or stopped? Even though you can't hear the music your device may still be playing through the connection. Also, make sure the distance is sufficient between your car and your device when you go in the house that the BT connection is broken. If the BT connection stays in tact the Belkin would not know to shut down. I've been using it for almost a year and have had no problems with car battery.

Let me know what you find out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 1:42:48 PM PDT
Joseph Siu says:
I turned off my device so it was definitely not connected anymore. I think perhaps my unit was defective so I'm going to see if I can exchange it and try again. It would be very nice not to have to pull the plug every time I get out of the car.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 2:06:42 PM PDT
Beno says:
What kind of device are you connecting to?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 2:15:47 PM PDT
Joseph Siu says:
I am using a Motorola Atrix for now but will be switching over to the iPhone 5 next month. To clarify, I think the Belkin unit was defective, not my phone. I am just super wary that I'll get stuck somewhere if the new Belkin unit messes up and drains the battery again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 12:35:16 PM PST
Did you end up finding a solution to this problem? I have the same question

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 10:28:05 PM PST
Joseph Siu says:
I tried a second unit; same thing. I think this thing is designed to power off based on the power being cut from the car. If your car has a constant source, this thing will drain the battery. My only option would probably be to tap a fuse for a source that shuts off with the car and plug it into that. At this point though, I don't want to go through all the trouble to make this work.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 5:28:08 AM PST
Aw bummer. I might return mine or modify my car, I'll have to look up the mod and see how hard it is.

Thanks a ton for the reply!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›