5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Printer -- Opens Up New Worlds, July 19, 2009
This review is from: Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Inkjet Photo Printer (3295B002) (Electronics)
This is a truly wonderful printer. The prints are amazingly crisp and accurate and vibrant. If you can imagine it, capture it, see it: This printer will print it for you. What I see on my LCD computer screen is what I get on the print. Extremely easy to install and use. If you just want to crank out a bunch of 4X6s for your family or print large art prints, this printer does it with ease: The "make prints of photos" software function makes this a breeze. It leads you through easy steps to making your prints and shows you images all along of what you are planning to print (instant previews all the way through) until you finally commit the "print" button. I love this SW. It's quiet. It can take a large stack of photo paper so you can select what you want to print and walk away.

The print quality is astonishing. It's just as good as anything you'll get from a photo lab. And at the price of this printer?! Amazing. I haven't made 13X19s yet (that paper is on the way) but everything I've printed has knocked my socks off. This printer opens up whole new avenues for my photography. I alsways looked forward to someday having a color darkroom. Well, now I have it, without all the space used, the chemicals stinking and going bad in their bottles, and BETTER print no-fade life.

[Update 11-Aug-2009: I've made several 13X19 prints now and they are luscious. Just eye-popping. It makes you want to just print off all your favorite shots at 13X19 RIGHT NOW! But what would I do with them all ... Bottom line: Print quality knocks your socks off. Everyone to whom I've shown the 13X19s has been suitably impressed. They clearly show the limitations of the film/sensor and lenses, not the printer. Wow.]

The only negative on this printer would be size: It's big. But, I don't really see how they could have made it much smaller, since it accommodates 13X19 inch paper(! It has all sorts of clever panels that fold open when you need them to print larger papers, etc., and they fold away to keep the overall size smaller, unless you need them. For all the paper sizes I am using: 4X6, 5X7, 8.5X11, and 13X19, the paper hopper is the vertical one, which means the footprint required by the printer is much smaller than would be required by a horizontal paper feed. It's also much easier to access and load than horizontal feed would be. Nicely engineered and thought-out.

I have been mostly using the premium Canon glossy paper (well worth it) but also some Kodak glossy paper. All results are excellent. Here are the papers I've been mainly using:
Canon Glossy II 4 x 6 Inch Photo Paper Plus Glossy 400 Sheets (2311B031)
Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II 8.5in x 11in 20 Sheets (2311B001)
Canon Glossy II 13 x 19 Inch Photo Paper Plus Glossy 20 Sheets (2311B026)

I love this printer! Best thing I've bought for photography since my first digital SLR.

My computer: Dell Dimension 2400, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Professional
[Update 21-Oct-11: I am now using a Dell Studio X something or another, 12GB RAM, very large HD, etc. and Windows 7. The transition was seamless from XP and the old computer.]

[Update 11-Sep-09:] I wondered a little whether this printer would do as well with documents put together in MSWord, Publisher, etc. Good news: The results are just as good. Wonderful printer.

[Update 1-Oct-2010:] I have been using this printer for a long time now. I've gone through at least 2000 prints (no kidding) and I continue to love this printer. It is honestly amazing (much better than photo processes. One of the beauties of digital is that you only have ONE LENS to worry about. After capture, exactly what the CCD records can be displayed or printed.)

This update is to report my experience with some non-Canon materials in this printer. The Canon inks (and papers to a lesser degree) are expensive; and we all know this is how the OEMs actually make their money: By selling us supplies. Tempted by the prices, I've tried some other materials. I am now using nothing but Canon inks and paper.

I have used some of the after-market inks sold on Amazon. They worked OK; but the prints just didn't have the snap and zing I was used to. But the show-stopper was this: These after-market ink cartidges constantly (constantly!) clogged, or, if they didn't clog, they produced fine streaks in any areas of the photo with large, constant tone (sky, still water, bokeh areas). These were particularly obnoxious in bokeh areas and sky. I tried all the trouble-shooting and nothing worked consistently. I've (literally) thrown all these away and use nothing but Canon ink now -- with perfect and completely consistent results. I also used some Ilford paper that was OK; but the price difference just didn't justify going away from the Canon Glossy II papers (see links above).

My bottom line: Use nothing but the Canon inks (especially) and paper. They really are worth the money. I had to learn this the hard way.

[update on 4-Apr-2011:] I have now used the profiles on the Red River paper site and, along with some adjustment in Lightroom and help from Scott Kelby's books, I have gotten very nice results with the Red River papers. Well worth a try! Sitck with the Canon inks though.

I'm using the brother HL-2170W wireless laser printer for most print jobs and the Canon PIXMA for photos only. A great combination of printers.

Brother HL-2170W 23ppm Laser Printer with Wireless and Wired Network Interfaces

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2009 12:13:06 PM PDT
J. Blilie says:
Another nice feature of this printer: You CAN clean the print head. A friend who has had one (the previous PIXMA 9000, not the MkII) for quite a while sent me this:

"Another VERY cool feature of this printer is being able to clean the print head under running hot water. When we got it (used), the green channel was stuck (we printed a picture but should have printed a test sheet instead at the time of purchase). I did some research online and found this cure. Pull all the cartridges out, remove print head, run in warm water and/or clean with Windex and rinse and repeat till things start flowing again."

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 1:53:02 PM PDT
Scott G says:
I absolutely agree about Canon inks; however, the paper from Red River Paper is MUCH nicer than Canon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 10:56:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2010 11:07:52 AM PDT
J. Blilie says:
Thanks for the tip: I'll try them. I haven't heard of them before. (Although I have a hard time imagining a BIG jump up from the Canon papers. Hey, if it's out there, I'd be happy to find it!)

--JB

P.S.: Just ordered some from Red River. Thanks! More on this soon ...

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 2:45:14 PM PDT
Shu Peng says:
I just to say thank you for a thorough and constantly updated review. Canon should send you their Pro9000 Mk3 prototype for testing. :)
I am going to pull the trigger on this printer

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 10:05:20 AM PST
J. Blilie says:
S.G.: I have just tried some Red River UltraPro Gloss paper. And I compared it head-to-head with the Canon Glossy II Plus, same photo, same size. The Red River just didn't have the same snap (contrast I'm pretty sure) that the Canon had.

Maybe I'm using the wrong paper or printer settings(?) with the Red River. I used the same printer settings that I use for the Canon paper. Any advice on that or on choosing a different type of Red River paper?

Thanks, JB

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2011 4:11:53 PM PDT
Red River has profiles that you can download on there site, that should help a lot. I've had nothing but great experience with them. If you still aren't happy give htem a call and they'll help you out or create a custom profile for you. http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 12:52:04 PM PDT
J. Blilie says:
I tried the profiles and they helped but I still had to do a lot of manipulation in LR to get happy results. They came out fine with some experimentation and with help from Scott Kelby's books. Definitely nice looking prints in the end.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 1:31:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 1:32:38 PM PST
LS says:
I recently purchased this printer and love everything about it except that when I print 4 x 6 photos the image sometimes comes out crooked on the print. I am very careful when I load the canon photo paper, so I am not sure why this keeps happening. Any ideas or tips?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 2:43:58 PM PST
Hi LS,

I have never had that issue with any paper size, so I'm afraid I can't really help. Sounds like something for CANON tech services.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:45:35 PM PST
A. J. Patel says:
Which Scott Kelby's book you are referring to?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (349 customer reviews)

$499.99 $394.99