5.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions..30X OPTICAL Zoom? HD Quality? Projection to 100"? In one word .. WOW..!, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Sony HDRPJ260V High Definition Handycam 8.9 MP Camcorder with 30x Optical Zoom, 16 GB Embedded Memory and Built-in Projector (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"WOW".. that about sums this amazingly small - yet ultra powerful Video Recorder!
I have only started to use this camera but I HAD to write about it. I WILL be adding more content and showing video samples to supplement this review. But let's do a "quickie" review: 10 things that Impressed me:

1) OK.. first off.. tiny! It's amazing how small these guys are .. even compared to 2 years back!

2) The battery is rated for *up to* 9 hours.. so far I charged it only once, been setting it up, and taking small videos for about 4 days now and it still has about 1/4" left.

3) Internal Memory is 16 Gig - that represents about an hour of High quality vid. and about 5 + hours at lower res.

4) It is SONY - so it readily connects with Newer Bravia TV's and the PS3 but of course you can pretty much connect with anything these days.. but what is wild it has a built in Projector that will project a 100" image! I have tried it (not to 100"), and it works pretty good.. actually VERY good!

5) I like the built in USB cord.. it is not long at all, but it is nice to have a cord ready to plug in to re-charge, or synch with etc... if you don't have your case with all your stuff with you.

6) 30x OPTICAL ZOOM! -OK for ME this is the main reason I wanted THIS model. (They have many models with more memory etc..)
-I wanted the zoom because I take pictures and videos of nature, so it is not always easy to get close.
Many people already know this, bu just in case... when you see "Zoom" you ALWAYS need to see what the "OPTICAL Zoom" is.. that is the true power of the lenses.. no software is involved. The term "digital" or "extended" uses the processor in the camera to "fill in" data, and it is never as crisp in my opinion. So.. for this camera it is 30X Optical , and 55X "Extended" which is.. whoa.. VERY strong!

With that much zoom power you need....
7) Optical "Steady Shot" -- This is a very good image stabilizer, it reminds me of my Canon - it takes the "jitters"
out of zoom shots, and is supposed to even hold steady while walking. (I haven't tried it walking around..yet!)

8) Face detection & - SMILE detection - check this out..not only does he camera have face detection.. but when set up, when taking a video, if it detects a smile, it takes a picture! That's pretty cool.. you may get that "one in a lifetime" shot while shooting a video!

9) Built in GPS receiver - To be honest this is kinda funky and I am just learning it., But when on (it is on by default) when you take videos (outdoors naturally) it tracks WHERE you took them.. so later on you say for example: "Remember when we were in Time Square?" Instead of looking for a file number & date on the camera, (which you can) you simply touch the "map view", find Times Square and there you are.. it will show what you shot there! It is pretty neat :)

10)"Tracking Focus" - This IS cool.. lets say you are shooting a video of you kids.. or better yet your pets.. start shooting..
and from the screen you select your pet -- just by touching the screen -.. it will auto track them AND keep them in focus!
THAT is pretty cool.. and it works REAL WELL. I focused in on a Cardinal, it tracked it as it went from branch to feeder to ground.. it was seamless - I was pretty shocked.

Well that is 10 things that first impressed me with this camera.. again I WILL add to this and put some vids up.
I am extremely impressed by this video camera.

About the ONLY thing so far I can say against it.. and I am nit-picking, is that I like a viewfinder, I use a Rebel and I am always used to literally looking through the camera. There may be times in bright sun that there may be a glare or the screen may be washed out., but again, that is a small complaint and more of a personal preference and in no way a knock against this wonderful camera!

*****
Jim

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 7:34:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 7:40:37 AM PDT
Hmm says:
Say you were looking at the HDR-PJ760V and the HDR-PJ260V. Would you still have chosen this one? This is my dilemma. For me this HDR-PJ260V is ideal because of the Zoom and the Zoom alone. The other features are great but I do believe that with an outstanding (or at least close to it) lens that can give you this kind of Zoom capabilities that it would be worth it. All of the above things that you mentioned are also features that I would like to have in my unit. I really am interested in the things that you didn't like because that can help also. Very nice review by the way because after all who needs gimmicks as opposed to something that really work. The HDR-PJ760V is also very nice but not enough Zooom. So in short, do you think that the HDR-PJ260V work really well and feel that it is a worthwhile purchase even to this day?

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:02:56 PM PDT
Jennifer says:
Thank you for the detailed review! Sounds like a great camera, at a great price.

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 8:43:38 AM PDT
R. Shim says:
How does one get around not having a viewfinder in bright sunlight? I bought another brand but am returning it because all I get is glare in the LCD screen. I will be shooting primarily outdoors.
For example - to keep that cardinal tracking how did you manage to keep the camera on the cardinal as it moved - sheer luck? If you can't see what you are filming I am puzzled by all these camcorders without viewfinders.
I will be filming lots of outdoor action.

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 8:43:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 4, 2013 8:44:28 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 8:43:43 AM PDT
R. Shim says:
I will be filming lots of outdoor action.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 11:43:32 AM PDT
J. Robson says:
I agree with you, (it's the last point of my review matter of fact!)
I miss a plain viewfinder option, a LOT of cameras and camcorder sadly don't have these anymore. I have it on my Canon Rebel, and that's why I use that camera the most.

As far as wash-out and/or glare in bright light all I can say is that the screen adjusts and it has good contrast, to help. There may be anti-glare screen protectors that may help also. I haven't had a big problem with glare, I just tilt the viewer down or to the side and it's OK (for me).

As far as auto tracking goes, I liked it, but I haven't used it in ages since I barely need it, however
if I remember, (this was a year ago .. so I am not 100% exactly now) when I tracked the cardinal, I let the camcorder focus on it, and used the option and let it do its job. It captured the bird in and a small focus box popped up and moved .. tracking it. again it was a while ago! I remember we were both in the shade, however there were bright spots that it hopped/flew through.

This is actually a perfect time you asked the question! This weekend I am actually going birdwatching and for cicada brood hatches, I was just going to take some cameras, but I will take it along and will let you know exactly how it turns out and more details on the auto track and sun glare.

Thanks for reading my review !

PS.. it's a great camcorder!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›