Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Mouth Chrome vs. Breville Compact Juice Fountain, September 2, 2008
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 67650 Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Grey (Kitchen)
I just recently purchased two juicers: the Bigmouth Chrome and the Breville Compact Juice Fountain. As they are both in the same price/performance category, I thought I'd briefly compare the two for those interested in the differences-as I see it. For the record, both of these juicers are my first go at juicing and was recommended to us by our Nutritionist.
First, both are winners and perform flawlessly the task of extracting juice from a wide variety of vegetables and fruits. Both have strong motors that easily do the job at hand. Both are easy to use and clean. Both are well designed and are easily taken apart and put back together.
In all honesty, the Breville Compact Juice Fountain which costs about 40 dollars more than this Bigmouth Chrome does have a few benefits which make it worth the extra cost if price is not an object. The Breville motor seems to be a touch more powerful and a touch quieter. The Breville's juice container comes with a froth reducer (I, personally, don't mind the froth). The Breville doesn't drip juice from the spout while emptying the juicing container (just a minor annoyance). The Breville can chew up whole carrots without causing the machine to slightly "jump." The Breville has a larger juice container and doesn't fill up nearly as fast. This is not really a big deal as the juice can be transferred to a different container. The Bigmouth does have a larger pulp container that seems like a bottemless pit while the Breville's fills up faster...so it's a draw really. The Breville is easier to clean due to its clean design and lack of grooves and indentations (except, oddly, the stainless steel screen which is finer in the Bigmouth and makes a slightly smoother drink).
All in all, both are amazing bargains for the price each cost. Owning both, I don't think that I would regret having only one or the other. I use the Bigmouth and my wife uses the Breville (it is just that much easier to ensemble for use). While, in my opinion, the Breville's slightly higher cost can be justified by the slight benefits it offers, the Bigmouth Chrome is an awesome machine that cranks out delicious juices no matter what I shove down its throat :-)
I love mine!
Hope that helps,

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2009 8:47:47 PM PST
S. Kelsey says:
Thank you for being so thorough in your comments, especially in contrasting the two units. VERY helpful reading.

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 12:05:52 PM PST
V. Rios says:
Excellent review. Thank you for taking the time to do this and to post it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 6:44:11 PM PST
TR says:
Your welcome! FYI, now that some time has passed, it is clear that the Breville, in our opinion, is clearly the superior of the two; but one can't go wrong with either.

Best,

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 3:27:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 3:29:08 PM PDT
Hi Michael,

I read your comments and wanted to respond to you because you bought two of the supposedly most popular juicers for your buck. I am really having a hard time determining which juicer to get my wife for X-Mas since I know little about juicers. She owns the Jack Lalanne juicer and feels she needs to upgrade. She makes her juice once a week and she uses carrots, celery, cucumbers, and apples. I know you'll only be giving me your opinion but I would really appreciate your input on knowing my wife only juices once a week and what she uses to juice with. What would you recommend as a gift? Of course I am talking about both juicers you have purchased, the Breville Compact Juice Fountain, and the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 4:12:05 PM PDT
Hello,

Overall, and after using both for a while, I'd say that hands down the Breville is the better buy.

best,

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 5:59:20 PM PDT
S. Perry says:
Thanks so much for your your quick response. You've been very helpful in making my decision between the two juicers.

Thanks,Sean

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:15:47 PM PDT
Hello Sean,

Your welcome. Even now, out of curiousity, I have noticed that the Breville is twice the amount as the BigMouth. Even then, unless your wife hardly juices, the Breville is a better bargain. It's much more quiet, it is much easier to put together and take apart, it is much easier to clean, and it has way more power. Thus, the Breville 200xl at 99 dollars with free shipping will last and last. The BigMouth has bit the dust, and the Breville remains in our house. We use it as a back up now because we splurged and got an Omega j8004 juicer, which we totally love. It is a totally different kind of juicer that slow extracts the juice.

Good luck, and I am sure your wife will just love the quality of the Breville.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:46:42 AM PDT
S. Perry says:
I think $99.00 is a great deal on a quality juicer. Thanks so much for your feed back you are really helping me out. I have one other question about the Breville which I read in the reviews. Some people complained of food getting stuck around the seal area or something like that. Have you had anything problems like this? Thanks again for your help. Sean

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 10:38:55 AM PDT
Hello Sean,

No, I haven't had any problems of that sort. If anything, it seems to be a more of a "peeve" than a "problem." Moreover, the Bigmouth has so many crevices that it is a chore to clean. The Breville is a snap with its clean curves.

Hope this helps,

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 11:38:44 PM PST
KaMBaM says:
Such a helpful review and comments! I was trying to decide between the 2 and was leaning toward this one being it's so much cheaper. But your comments helped me and I'm gunna go with the other one. I'm new to juicing but want to make it a daily thing, one of my biggest concerns is ease of taking it a part and cleaning. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›